Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 474 of 564 FirstFirst ... 374424464472473474475476484524 ... LastLast
Results 4,731 to 4,740 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    That sounds good as my Maui 28's are arriving in an hour or so.
    Prepare to be amazed - you'll love them! (I use them for 99% of my gigs now).
    Top tip - make sure you cable them properly! L&R from mixer to one of the Maui's, then use a third cable from system-out on the first Maui to system-in on the second....it sounds a lot better that way!

That sounds good as my Maui 28's are arriving in an hour or so.
    Blimey, another Stick rig convert!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Top tip - make sure you cable them properly! L&R from mixer to one of the Maui's, then use a third cable from system-out on the first Maui to system-in on the second....it sounds a lot better that way!
    Well yes, but...................

I'm not sure if the G2 is different, but I tried this with my 11s, which are the old model. The signal output from the first one is low, as it's a " mix out", and thus linked to the volume controls, meaning you have to turn the " slave" up to max. You can of course turn both units up to max, and control everything from your mixer, which is one way of doing it. This gives a mono effect, which some folk love, some don't.

Since the Mauis have multiple inputs, I've personally had better results with simply using a splitter cable on each mixer output, feeding both channels on each unit to achieve a similar effect, and maintain a stereo image.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yes, I'd seen a few people on here talking about them and checked the reviews. My Peaveys were getting to the "time to go stage" that I have written into my head, so I had a look at the Maui's at Leeds Plaza and then again at a local dealer. Sadly, they were way overpriced there and wouldn't price match, so it was off to www dot co dot uk with the credit card.

I spent all week on holiday gleefully anticipating the pile of boxes that would arrive on Monday and I wasn't disappointed.

Well, I never got round to unpacking them until 7pm last night, outside on the patio, so I couldn't crank them up to 11 as I knew that three out of the 5 houses here had under 4's just about ready for bed.

What I did do then was to cable them as that, twice in fact, (once, both channels into speaker A then on to B and then from speaker B and onto A). I'll try the Peter way another time though, but I do prefer the mono layout (having grown up with that) as I like even sound throughout which you don't always get on stereo (first few bars of Mr Brightside perhaps, of "fake" stereo of old 60's tracks). I had a quick play with all combinations of ins and outs and all functioned as expected.

Anyway, what I did hear was a good clear sound and could "feel" the bass even on a solid concrete patio. Imagine that on a wooden floor!

Set up and strip down was a doddle compared to the old speaker on stands system and even bagging them up was quicker, all of which was a big tick for me. Nothing super weighty either, so the old dicky ticker won't (hopefully!) complain!

So, their first outing will be at an new and untried venue on Friday. More news on this later.....

I have a feeling my next gig on Saturday is going to be a very good gig.

It's been booked for a while (I actually took the booking at a wedding about 6 months ago whilst I was working!) and was supposed to be a surprise 70th for the birthday girl....except she dropped the final payment in to me this evening in person (I normally take payment way in advance but actually know the customer personally on this one so made an exception).

So...the surprise element's gone then

But - she's told me of the type of music she wants and I'm a happy bunny. I'd already agreed with her other half that it was a Retro Roadshow setup (he preferred that when he saw the photos), and the music is going to well and truly match. The "average" age of the clientele will be around 60-70 years old (no young-uns), and the music is strictly 50s rock 'n' roll through to 70s disco.

Add this to the fact I'm now in possession of a very reasonably priced Look Unique 2 hazer from a local chap that's just retired after 50 years in the "job" and it's a venue where I can use haze to my heart's content (I'm one of the trustees of said building so can disable the sensors where needed , it's adding up to be a really good night in my book

The "average" age of the clientele will be around 60-70 years old (no young-uns), and the music is strictly 50s rock 'n' roll through to 70s disco.
    Wanna roadie?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Wanna roadie?
    I think I can handle this lot of glorious grannies without additional security (besides, with your sense of navigation you'd never find the place before last orders ).

Unlike most retro gigs where I use the DXR15's - I have the pleasure of using the Maui28s on this one as well (she doesn't want it too thumping).

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a gig quite so much

And now the dear lady wifey's gone to night-nights....my gawd I'm enjoying playing with this Look Unique.2......it's BRILLIANT!

Wanna roadie?
    If your not working and wanna look at a certain South Bank venue, I'm there on Friday and Saturday.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 27-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.

If your not working and wanna look at a certain South Bank venue, I'm there on Friday and Saturday.
    There are only three flaws with that cunning plan.
    1) You've named the hitherto secret venue. Very careless of you, but I've sorted that.
    2) I would guess, you've not got a " grab a Granny " night, with music from when it was worth playing.
    3) I'm working too, on Friday I'm savouring the delights of Pontefract, and Saturday is one I'm looking forward to. It's a post wedding party, local, and very relaxed. Mmmmm, nice.

There are only three flaws with that cunning plan.
    1) You've named the hitherto secret venue. Very careless of you, but I've sorted that.
    2) I would guess, you've not got a " grab a Granny " night, with music from when it was worth playing.
    3) I'm working too, on Friday I'm savouring the delights of Pontefract, and Saturday is one I'm looking forward to. It's a post wedding party, local, and very relaxed. Mmmmm, nice.

Two of the three flaws have been rectified.

1) Its now no longer a secret. I officially and formally raised two fingers to the Holiday Inn on Wednesday morning. A fact they seem to have chosen to ignore!

2) Its a school prom with a hideous playlist. I have had to remove 9 tracks for taste and decency (mainly the N word) reasons and trying to put the other 51 tracks together will be a challenge.

3) Its a wedding and my compadre from the Holiday Inn will be along doing a second wedding there too.

I like Post Weddings. Much easier and as people haven't been there since the early morning, there's less chance of the "full" signs appearing and Uncle Knobhead and Auntie Loudmouth making an appearance.

A playlist for a prom? Whatever will they think of next. If reactions to requested tunes of the last 2 nights' proms are any benchmark I'd advise you chuck them straight in the bin if you can (IF you can!).

A very mixed bag, with the best reactions (other than Mr Brightside & Wonderwall) coming from tunes I opted to play over the last 2 nights. It's all a bit disappointing really. The youth are expected to rebel & 'like' the kind of music that upsets adults. Twas ever thus. But the rub is that they don't actually seem to like it - looking at the lack of any real excitement it produced in them on the dancefloor. Yet throwback stuff from the last 10 years or so was getting screams of approval & much pogoing was seen. Funny that.

I used to look forward to them (especially for the new music aspect - a lovely change from the usual suspects etc), but I think in future I'll be deferring prom bookings to somebody else.

Playing censored versions of filthy stuff is all well & good but fairly pointless once they all start singing along. At the 1st prom I ever played 3 years ago I'd only ever heard the radio edit of Nicki Minaj's Starships - imagine my surprise when 120 kids were shouting "higher than a mother hubbard" or whatever the word is A teacher cast me a glance to tell me he didn't approve & I pointed him at my laptop which clearly said it was the clean radio edit. It's a fine line..