Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 518 of 564 FirstFirst ... 18418468508516517518519520528 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    A bit of a mixed weekend for me.. a horrible cold struck me last week so when I set off to do Fridays wedding I wasn't feeling very alive .. but thanks to some marvellous tablets I ploughed on & despite the best efforts of a VIP guest who knew better than me (he thought) had a pretty good night.

Saturday took me a long way from home... A 90 minute drive North up the A1 to where it's just a normal road, then off to the right after Alnwick.. a converted barn which was very nice indeed. I was sharing space with a band, so set up off to the side a bit which would actually be a more logical place to rig up even without the band there. I was landed with some last minute changes - one of which meant I had to buy a new track .. slight brown trousers moments til I got my phone tethered to my spare laptop.. then it was cake cut, bouquet toss, 1st dance, FoB dance & rammed dancefloor til the end, save for food time. The band were lovely folks & very talented musicians.. there was full on Irish dancing throughout. As for my sets... Motown & garage were mentioned in the pre event communications.. Motown was for early doors & I was open for requests.

Ah the requests... a traditional Irish song I didn't have & had never even heard of (which started the guy off on a "WHAT? You're (expletive deleted)!!" tirade. I told him to wait 2 minutes. He went off & returned with a request to plug his phone in... I halted him by showing him the track loaded ready to play. Fist bump time then...

Anyway for what amounted to 4 hours of DJing (I finished at 1am) I got through 96 tracks, quick mixing pretty much all the way. I got a request for the bee gees right in the heart of a hip hop set... Thought hmmm... Oh I know... I threw on Rob Base & DJ ez-rock's It Takes Two which produced an umpteenth dance off of the night, then looped the intro to Staying Alive & slowly mixed it in replacing the bass of one with the other.... Kinda brought the house down. I honestly don't think I've ever met a wedding crowd as up for it as these people & I'll classify this as the best gig in a long time. Someone put music on the venue's speakers & people were still dancing as I was packing down after 1am.

I got out & loaded the van in under half an hour & headed to the nearest golden arches to tide me over for the long drive home
    Loved reading this gig review. Well done for getting through it when you weren't feeling great.

The not having a track moment reminds me of a wedding I did at a nice country lodge and lake venue. I had obviously sent out full standard communication befoehand including song requests sheet which included first dance etc but I was shocked just before I was about to start that the first dance they had requested had somehow changed. Panic mode set in! Luckily I got through it more by luck as I connected my spare laptop to the venues wi-fi (chancing it big time I know!) The only way I could do it in rapid amounts of time was to try and find the track on YouTube (chancing it again with streaming and being able to find a decent version). I would never use YouTube or anything similar especially for a first dance and it's the only time I've done it but, just like you it was a needs must situation. All the careful planning we do and there's always something that crops up.

Great to hear the attendees were up for it and sounds like the mix of so many songs was an awesome night for you
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz View Post

Great to hear the attendees were up for it and sounds like the mix of so many songs was an awesome night for you
    Yeah well I'd never experienced 'a full on irish' party so was gently indoctrinated with The Rattlin Bog & Fields of Athenry. Both apparently big standards but how was I to know being such an Anglo-Saxon heathen lol

Yeah well I'd never experienced 'a full on irish' party so was gently indoctrinated with The Rattlin Bog & Fields of Athenry. Both apparently big standards but how was I to know being such an Anglo-Saxon heathen lol
    Not much of a clue with the Irish stuff myself unless it was country Irish and I might be able to get some of the stuff connected with my country music radio show I do. Other than that some Pogues, the Irish Rover, Danny Boy or Riverdance is all I can think of. Might have to have a look into that Rattlin Bog
    CP RIGARRAY MOBILE DISCOS

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Could have asked the bloke you know with an Irish surname.

I've neglected doing the gig logs because I've not had any gigs where there has been an interesting tale to tell. I've had gigs where guests were swinging off the chandeliers and a couple where I had to check the pulse of those in attendance, but even those gigs don't have any tales beyond "Nice couple to chat to during consultation. Rocked up, played [insert clients' musical preferences], went home, repeat."

Away from the performing, it's been a very interesting few months for me. The wheels of the photography business are very much spinning right now, with the infrastructure now fully in place. As soon as the website is launched (which I reckon will be the next month or so - on track for being ready by the start of the second quarter), I'm going guns a blazing. With clients booking 'togs well before their DJs (some exceptions do apply), I'm actually a bit excited at the prospect of taking photo gigs further in advanced and then peppering the dates with DJ gigs. I just need to remember that a DJ day can follow photo day, but a photo day cannot follow a DJ day. I give it a year before I sack off that mantra.

Anyway, to the gigs. Saturday I was at a venue that I am now officially a recommended supplier for. For the last couple of years, I was kinda on the outskirts of being a recommended supplier (being tossed the occasional bone, and all that) but now I am officially on the list and have been for a few months now. This has actually proven to be a little awkward for me as one of the DJs who has been a long time recommended supplier for this venue is a very good friend of mine. I've been upfront with him from the start and I have said repeatedly that I am not trying to snake what is essentially his bag (all I have done is turn up, party and then go home). He is cool with it and knows I'm not being underhanded - I'm just paranoid about this sort of thing. I'm not good a schmoozing venues so I don't even try - turns out that just being good at the job works well enough!

The party itself is definitely the strongest of 2020 thus far. Started out after the first dance with some Disco-esque House Music (think Purple Disco Machine) and from there it was a very brief doffing of the proverbial cap to anything pre-90s, with the majority of the night being Dance, RnB, 00's Indie & Pop Punk. Kinda felt guilty about leaving the older crowd out a bit but the vast majority of my audience were mid 20s to mid 30s and they were the ones rocking the dance floor all night long. It was a very good night with the venue saying how nice it was to have me back there. Successful night, I'd say.

Sunday saw me at a venue where I am most definitely a recommended supplier (no ambiguity here!) and in the process, I upset a Drag Queen. Need me to expand? OK then...

Clients book a Drag Queen to perform for half hour or so after the first dance. Is it possible for them to go through my sound system but use their own mic, because he they have to use their own mic to make sure that the sound is just right (because that's how it works - regardless to mixer or speaker choice, as long as your mic is just so, it will sound exactly how you want it to)? Sure, why not. I'll just chuck logic out the window for this one.

During Queeny's performance, I get various dirty looks from him and at one point, a spinning hand gesture that suggest "Well...come on then!" I ask his companion what it meant, to which he replied that he had no idea. After the song was finished, Queeny announces on the [his] mic "This DJ is shot*, ain't he?"

*Typo

I was certain that I misheard that sentence until I started looking around. His companion's jaw hit the floor. The Bride looked on gobsmacked. There was an awkward laugh in the room. Righto, thought I (once I came to realise that what I thought was said was actually said). Switched off and unplugged his mic receiver, gave it to his companion and started playing music. Round of applause from the audience while I get effed and jeffed at by Queeny. I just stood there and looked at him, not even getting a chance to respond before the Groom comes up and has a word with the pair of them. Bride and Groom could not apologise enough and continued to do so at various intervals during the night.

After that, a decent night. Not one for the Hall Of Fame, but one that made the clients happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Had I been given any indication before the gig I might well have done! I've taken a view on this that they didn't know it might be a big deal but hey we're hiring someone decent so it shouldn't be, right... Had I been properly chucked in without a paddle, eg had I been needed to replace what the band did.. it'd have been a different story completely.

During Queeny's performance, I get various dirty looks from him and at one point, a spinning hand gesture that suggest "Well...come on then!" I ask his companion what it meant, to which he replied that he had no idea. After the song was finished, Queeny announces on the [his] mic "This DJ is shot*, ain't he?"
    What a dock!!*

*Possible typo
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 24-02-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Sunday saw me at a venue where I am most definitely a recommended supplier (no ambiguity here!) and in the process, I upset a Drag Queen. Need me to expand? OK then...

Clients book a Drag Queen to perform for half hour or so after the first dance. Is it possible for them to go through my sound system but use their own mic, because he they have to use their own mic to make sure that the sound is just right (because that's how it works - regardless to mixer or speaker choice, as long as your mic is just so, it will sound exactly how you want it to)? Sure, why not. I'll just chuck logic out the window for this one.

Ok, I'm still none the wiser - what did you do to upset 'em?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Ok, I'm still none the wiser - what did you do to upset 'em?
    Not a clue. He sent me a single audio file containing all of his backing tracks which had gaps between each song. I pressed play and left him to it.

I've neglected doing the gig logs because I've not had any gigs where there has been an interesting tale to tell. I've had gigs where guests were swinging off the chandeliers and a couple where I had to check the pulse of those in attendance, but even those gigs don't have any tales beyond "Nice couple to chat to during consultation. Rocked up, played [insert clients' musical preferences], went home, repeat."

Away from the performing, it's been a very interesting few months for me. The wheels of the photography business are very much spinning right now, with the infrastructure now fully in place. As soon as the website is launched (which I reckon will be the next month or so - on track for being ready by the start of the second quarter), I'm going guns a blazing. With clients booking 'togs well before their DJs (some exceptions do apply), I'm actually a bit excited at the prospect of taking photo gigs further in advanced and then peppering the dates with DJ gigs. I just need to remember that a DJ day can follow photo day, but a photo day cannot follow a DJ day. I give it a year before I sack off that mantra.

Anyway, to the gigs. Saturday I was at a venue that I am now officially a recommended supplier for. For the last couple of years, I was kinda on the outskirts of being a recommended supplier (being tossed the occasional bone, and all that) but now I am officially on the list and have been for a few months now. This has actually proven to be a little awkward for me as one of the DJs who has been a long time recommended supplier for this venue is a very good friend of mine. I've been upfront with him from the start and I have said repeatedly that I am not trying to snake what is essentially his bag (all I have done is turn up, party and then go home). He is cool with it and knows I'm not being underhanded - I'm just paranoid about this sort of thing. I'm not good a schmoozing venues so I don't even try - turns out that just being good at the job works well enough!

The party itself is definitely the strongest of 2020 thus far. Started out after the first dance with some Disco-esque House Music (think Purple Disco Machine) and from there it was a very brief doffing of the proverbial cap to anything pre-90s, with the majority of the night being Dance, RnB, 00's Indie & Pop Punk. Kinda felt guilty about leaving the older crowd out a bit but the vast majority of my audience were mid 20s to mid 30s and they were the ones rocking the dance floor all night long. It was a very good night with the venue saying how nice it was to have me back there. Successful night, I'd say.

*Typo

I was certain that I misheard that sentence until I started looking around. His companion's jaw hit the floor. The Bride looked on gobsmacked. There was an awkward laugh in the room. Righto, thought I (once I came to realise that what I thought was said was actually said). Switched off and unplugged his mic receiver, gave it to his companion and started playing music. Round of applause from the audience while I get effed and jeffed at by Queeny. I just stood there and looked at him, not even getting a chance to respond before the Groom comes up and has a word with the pair of them. Bride and Groom could not apologise enough and continued to do so at various intervals during the night.

After that, a decent night. Not one for the Hall Of Fame, but one that made the clients happy.
    I had a similar experience working with a drag queen a few years ago. Got pelters off him for somehow getting his backing music wrong (legit playing numbered tracks in orders upon their cue). I'm not sure if it's just part of their "edgy" act or just being a massive diva.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Not a clue. He sent me a single audio file containing all of his backing tracks which had gaps between each song. I pressed play and left him to it.
    Craaaaazy
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

It never ceases to amaze me how these performers think it's a good idea to berate the person with ultimate control of their sound.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk