Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 52 of 564 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

young one's Christmas party today, my first outing, it was a fantastic day.
    lots of screaming and party horns.
    the wife only got one photo with me in it which i will post in gallery.

make's doing disco's worth while and got to admit the same difference cd went down well with the young one's.

10pm. Sweet course over. Time to go to work, entertaining the Goat Farm Staff. Night all.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    10pm. Sweet course over. Time to go to work, entertaining the Goat Farm Staff. Night all.
    Have fun my good man!

One of those nights for me last night; the most troublesome gig I've had in years.

The event was a retirement party in a rugby club banqueting venue, except that it was too big for the function room, so they shunted it into the bar and restaurant. A horrible, L-shaped high ceilinged room. Dreadful acoustics, so I could hardly be heard at the bar, but was deafening on the dance floor. Couldn't attract people to the floor, because they couldn't hear what I was playing, and when they did come, it was so loud it was almost intolerable.

Had no more than a dozen of the almost exclusively male crowd (approx 200)up all night. Nightmare.

Just got home from my Xmas eve pub quiz.

I've never done a pub quiz on Xmas eve before, but the landlady at my regular Wednesday quiz pub said she'd like me to give it a go, and although I'd been planning on taking the night off, I was happy to oblige.

I thought the pub should be quite busy, although I had no idea how many of them would be quiz people.

As it turned out, I had 80 people doing the quiz (16 teams)...whereas the pub next door (which had no entertainment) had 7 people in all night.

No wonder pubs have quiz nights. Not only was I very busy, but It was a brilliant atmosphere, too...so job jone!

I'm now looking forward to three nights off, because after the manic evening I've just had, I'll probably need that long to recover!

Merry Xmas everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Just got home from my Xmas eve pub quiz.

I've never done a pub quiz on Xmas eve before, but the landlady at my regular Wednesday quiz pub said she'd like me to give it a go, and although I'd been planning on taking the night off, I was happy to oblige.

I thought the pub should be quite busy, although I had no idea how many of them would be quiz people.

As it turned out, I had 80 people doing the quiz (16 teams)...whereas the pub next door (which had no entertainment) had 7 people in all night.

No wonder pubs have quiz nights. Not only was I very busy, but It was a brilliant atmosphere, too...so job jone!

I'm now looking forward to three nights off, because after the manic evening I've just had, I'll probably need that long to recover!

Merry Xmas everybody.
    Well done on your quiz. I know how hard you have to work so I credit you.

This is where I think you should start raising your prices. You do a good job so why get a low pay???

I've just come in from a local club, where we had a great night. There were three discos in the village, and I had a visit from the much vaunted ( mainly by himself) DJ Daz. He was telling me many things about himself, and his exploits in the Balearics et al. I found it a load of Balearics, but didn't like to say so. He was impressed with my Cerwin Vegas, and their sound. However he was amazed at the amount of kit I take. ( I've seen his rig. It's compact). I was amazed when with two Cortex units in view, a laptop which he spotted was not the playout system, and no shiny things anywhere, he asked " Do you use CD's"
    Don't know how the others did, but we were busy and happy.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

just got in from the gig from hell. A pub that had closed down a few months ago just reopened tonight. My missus, Colagirl did the gig as i was else where. Police came a total of three times two fights and a manager in from the brewry that didnt know the pub.didnt put his foot down when he should have Think he is going to get bounceras on door but very wairy of playing the place again

by the way merry christmas everyone
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 25-12-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Well done on your quiz. I know how hard you have to work so I credit you.
    Thanks Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    This is where I think you should start raising your prices. You do a good job so why get a low pay???
    Simple answer...because the quiz nights I run are for my friend's agency, so HE sets the price. However, I think it's pretty good money for a couple of hours in a pub with hardly any gear to set up!

Default my second gig - 50th birthday

it was a good gig and bad gig in one, very mixed crowd teens to 80s, most said they liked the music but not coming up to dance.

looking around there was a lot of feet tapping and singing along but very few dancers. what a job trying to keep everyone happy, i was asking for requests but response was poor.

The best bit....

client happy, cash in my back pocket, 2 further bookings and i had a good time even though i went through a paranoid slot when know one was dancing.

i have taken some photos and will post them soon.

would like to add a big thanks to anyone who has posted helpful info to any of my threads looking for info, without your help i would not have had the confidence to go out and do it. thanks, here have a beer on me