Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 53 of 564 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Foot tapping is a thumbs up in my books. People dont have to dance to have a good time. I get about 50% dancing and 50% foot tapping. I know they are having good time, just dont want to dance. I am the same when I go to partys. Not much of a dancer but if the songs are good, i will get my foot tapping to the beat.

Glad you got more bookings.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've just come in from a local club, where we had a great night. There were three discos in the village, and I had a visit from the much vaunted ( mainly by himself) DJ Daz. He was telling me many things about himself, and his exploits in the Balearics et al. I found it a load of Balearics, but didn't like to say so. He was impressed with my Cerwin Vegas, and their sound. However he was amazed at the amount of kit I take. ( I've seen his rig. It's compact). I was amazed when with two Cortex units in view, a laptop which he spotted was not the playout system, and no shiny things anywhere, he asked " Do you use CD's"
    Don't know how the others did, but we were busy and happy.

are you talking about me ???????

Lightbulb

I had a great gig last night, having narrowly avoided a disaster when setting up, thanks to some very lucky timing.

It was a smaller wedding (about 50 people) in the Edward Heath Suite at the Selsdon Park Hotel in South Croydon (for any London or Surrey DJs that know the place).

I arrived around noon to set up, and although I've worked at the venue before, it's a few years since I've been there, so I couldn't remember too much about it. I introduced myself to reception & was directed to the room. I asked whether someone would need to show me where to set up or whether it would be obvious & was told it was obvious.

On arrival in the room, the tables & chairs were already set up, but there was a large space in one of the corners, so I got the gear in & started setting up. Fortunately for me, after about 5 minutes the bride happened to arrive to check out the room. She said hello to me & then told me that the bar was going where I was setting up & I needed to be in front of the far wall.

There's no way in a million years I'd have said it was "obvious" that's where I had to set up, as there was very little space, and I had to get some staff to move several tables to give me enough room. I was set up soon after 1pm.

When I arrived back in the evening at 7.30 (for my 8pm start), I was surprised to see the room was already empty & was half way through being turned round for the evening reception...so things were obviously running ahead of schedule. Must have been a first for a wedding!

I put on some background music & before long people were coming back into the room. At around 8.30 we had the first dance, "If I used to love you" by Daniel Lemma. This was probably the first time I've had a first dance by an artist I've never heard of, but itunes came to the rescue!

It was an easy gig, as they'd given me over 80 requests, which was more than enough for the three and a half hours available, and as usual I'd made up a playlist in advance which I just dumped into the D2's crate. They were a younger crowd, so wanted more current & recent stuff than I normally play, and they were really lively too. I'd say about two thirds of them were dancing for most of the night, which in my book is very good. The best thing of all was seeing the bride on the dance floor virtually the whole time.

The song which got the best reaction was the Phil Collins version of "You can't hurry love" which I must admit I rarely play, so I'll have to start digging this out more often. Due to the great atmosphere & lively croud, the night flew by & it was soon time for the last song, "Chasing cars".

A great gig to round off 2008, (I'm not working NYE through choice) and also one where I learned a valuable lesson: When doing an early set up, ALWAYS get a member of staff to SHOW YOU where to set up, regardless of whether they say that it will be obvious!

I'm now looking forward to my next gig on 7th March (yes, I know that's a long way off, but I do mostly weddings, and find there are very few/none in January & February). By then I'll have replaced my CD console & CDs with my IDJ2 for back up, so things will be easier as I'll have less gear to load & lug into the venue.

I doubt it unless you have moved up north.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by daz226 View Post
    are you talking about me ???????
    Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    I doubt it unless you have moved up north.
    Spot on Theo. This one was singularly unimpressive, and hails from Malton. Daz226, I wouldn't for a minute expect you to
    1: Be up here on Xmas eve
    2: Fail to recognise Class-D cabs, even when you're stood behind then looking at he stickers
    3:Be a muppet.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Cracking new years eve for me, small pub / restaurant some 10 miles away, quite exclusive, complete with b list celebrity in attendance. Started at 9pm having had a meal on the house, didn't have a sweet so wasn't over full!! . Chart stuff for an hour, 80's for an hour, couple of party stuff then 60's and rock n roll up to the big ben chimes, then pure cheese.... . Finished at 2.15am
    Booked for next NYE already and pencilled in for a number of gigs over the summer and leading up to Christmas. Good night was had by all, small set up too, so de rigged and loaded up and on way home in half an hour.
    No pic's forgot the camera again
    always remember, you're unique, just like everyone else......

New Years Day, as trailed elsewhere, ended up as a NINE hour Karaoke session! Report will end up in gallery, if any piccies are worthy. I'm sat eating my tea now, at one in the morning. Remind me again why we do this.

New Years Day, as trailed elsewhere, ended up as a NINE hour Karaoke session! Report will end up in gallery, if any piccies are worthy. I'm sat eating my tea now, at one in the morning. Remind me again why we do this.
    For the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    For the money.
    Indeed, and for a nine hour karaoke on new years day, I'm sure the money would have been very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    For the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Indeed, and for a nine hour karaoke on new years day, I'm sure the money would have been very nice!

Ah yes. Thanks lads, I'd forgotten that.