Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 560 of 564 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560561562 ... LastLast
Results 5,591 to 5,600 of 5636

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Oh Justin, I'm smiling at your antics. I'm still not convinced you've quite grasped the concept of being a Mobile DJ.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh Justin, I'm smiling at your antics. I'm still not convinced you've quite grasped the concept of being a Mobile DJ.
    Mobile? While I'm quite fond of a driving adventure I'm not a massive fan of getting home the wrong end of 2am. If I can get the kind of money people say you can't get round here, round here - I'll prefer that to the posh bling venue the wrong side of Alnwick. Heresy, I know...

once they'd unplugged the searchlights masquerading as eighteen and fifty, and turned off/down the static house lights ( there is Mission Control Houston running them, but only Dave Jackson understands it, and I couldn't get near it for lights and balloons ) we had a great time.
    I remember spending an hour or so with the then resident DJ programming the lighting, A few years later it is still very much a see what works system and I hope for the best. Glad you escaped the car park from Hell Peter!
    Last edited by Excalibur; 04-11-2023 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    I remember spending an hour or so with the then resident DJ programming the lighting, A few years later it is still very much a see what works system and I hope for the best. Glad you escaped the car park from Hell Peter!
    I have taken snaps of " mission control " before now, seems the staff just hit all the switches, coloured lights all come on static at full brightness, job done. I mean who ever heard of DJs bringing in their own, controllable lighting, suitable for the event?

That car park needs to be unloading only, ( unless you're disabled, George, or a DJ ) then park in the new one in the next road.

Default Fed up with overworking!

I was out on Friday with the FFN, aka The Legslappers. ( Young Penmare christened them that, and funnily enough, I drove past his old house on the way to the gig ). This was a special night, their 50th Anniversary event. It's a year late, after two cancellations and a postponement for reasons you simply wouldn't believe!

It was a new venue, a former church, and although it was visually stunning, it wasn't ideal for me. As there were many members there setting up for such a prestigious function, I got the kit in place with help from many pairs of hands, who were convinced they were helping. This was mid afternoon, earlier than even I normally arrive, as we were all unsure of access times and how everything would work, as it's a venue with multiple function areas.

Anyway, I got all set up, grabbed a meal deal from a nearby shop, and sat back to watch the fun. For anyone who doesn't know, these lads are a charity, who raise money by staging wine tastings all over Lincolnshire, in their own inimitable way. At times, it resembles a Bierkeller in the way they entertain guests, and it's a real laugh. I set the gear up, I normally watch them drive it to do their thing, and I get to be a DJ when they finish.

On Friday, I did 25 minutes! The function was arranged as a midnight finish ( which is the default for these gigs ), but for some reason the venue decreed 11.30 as the finish time, somewhat arbitrarily. While I'm always happy for an early finish, it really made a mockery of the night, and I think there will be a dialogue between the charity and the venue. They really fancy working there annually ( it's cheap, it's local, and it's stunning ) so I may have to tune the kit a bit more for easy in and out. The lighting will be cut back a lot, as what I took just was total overkill, any kind of parcan/wash lights would have been more than adequate.

Default Getting paid to have fun.

Saturday was like when I started this escapade. 60th birthday for a neighbour. I did her 50th ten years ago ( had to take my shoes and socks off to count that one ), and this was slightly grander. We upgraded from the kitchen to a " Marquee ". One of those apex tents with full framing, not grand, but a lovely workable size, with good height.

I set up a small rig, with speakers on tripods, rather than use Polars or Mauis, as the floor was very uneven. Kaleido XPs on top of the Gravity poles, and the trusty Hadrons just below. More than enough light, and more than enough sound.

Guests arrived, and wanted to chat and mingle. Many of them were neighbours, I've worked for a lot of them in both day job and disco, so a very cosy atmosphere. Once I'd had a couple of requests for stuff to dance to ( and a six minute offering from Adele ) we got stuck into Bay City Rollers, Westlife, Tamla, Meatloaf ( all eight and a half of Paradise. Time for an unhurried toilet break with that one ) Oops, ( requested ) Billy Ocean, and a load of fun stuff. I even let Mariah out of the box for one Xmas one ( again, requested ). Near the end, we even had some Classic R&B- No Diggity, California Love, Regulate, Without me and a couple of others.

I was well looked after by guests and hosts, partook of a small sherry, and was putting my key in the front door one hour after switching off. I could stand a few more gigs like that.

Saturday was like when I started this escapade. 60th birthday for a neighbour. I did her 50th ten years ago ( had to take my shoes and socks off to count that one ), and this was slightly grander. We upgraded from the kitchen to a " Marquee ". One of those apex tents with full framing, not grand, but a lovely workable size, with good height.

I set up a small rig, with speakers on tripods, rather than use Polars or Mauis, as the floor was very uneven. Kaleido XPs on top of the Gravity poles, and the trusty Hadrons just below. More than enough light, and more than enough sound.

Guests arrived, and wanted to chat and mingle. Many of them were neighbours, I've worked for a lot of them in both day job and disco, so a very cosy atmosphere. Once I'd had a couple of requests for stuff to dance to ( and a six minute offering from Adele ) we got stuck into Bay City Rollers, Westlife, Tamla, Meatloaf ( all eight and a half of Paradise. Time for an unhurried toilet break with that one ) Oops, ( requested ) Billy Ocean, and a load of fun stuff. I even let Mariah out of the box for one Xmas one ( again, requested ). Near the end, we even had some Classic R&B- No Diggity, California Love, Regulate, Without me and a couple of others.

I was well looked after by guests and hosts, partook of a small sherry, and was putting my key in the front door one hour after switching off. I could stand a few more gigs like that.
    I like gigs like that when you know the guests pretty well from the off!
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Default One of these nights

When you throw everything at them you can think of, tumbleweed is blowing across the dance floor for most of the night, and as guests leave, you are thanked and congratulated by many of them, with lots of handshakes for a job well done.

It was never going to match last week, this was an 80th Birthday at a cricket club, with lots of family there. Basically, a social event with added music. I finished early, and went home thinking it's a funny old game.

I must note that I had met young Mr Jackson at his residency for a quick course in driving his new wireless Gigbar with added pars, as I will get the chance to use it next week. He is otherwise engaged, so I will use his kit, as it will be in there for lots of December. I declined his offer of using Mission Control as a playout, despite him assuring me that it was " just like the Prime GO, only a bit bigger"! Yeah right, Dave. I have to say that in only a fifteen minute tutorial, the thing impressed me immensely. The price tag, well at my age, there's no way of earning that back in the time I have left.

Mind you, if I got six numbers any time soon.............................................. ..............

Default 41

So another Fri & Sat at Hotel 41,Fri was a surprise 40th. Usual family affair with lots of eighties stuff. Sat was an engagement with a 90.s feel and 'No Cheese'. The equipment is all locked away at the Hotel so a nice easy set up. Following a short play with the ILS command I despatched the old git to his gig ang grabbed a coffee before the guests arrived. Lots of alcohol later all departed happy. The Gigbar is expensive and we you add in the controller and a couple if Pars £1500 was spent. But after several wasted hours of failed DMX experiments it was such a joy to just switch things on and it working.

Quote Originally Posted by djdj View Post
    The Gigbar is expensive and we you add in the controller and a couple if Pars £1500 was spent. But after several wasted hours of failed DMX experiments it was such a joy to just switch things on and it working.
    It was very impressive. I've lusted after this sort of thing since I saw at a show a year or two back. After pressing buttons for less than five minutes, I was sold. Then Dave told me the price tag, and sanity prevailed!

Seriously, if I were thirty/forty/fifty/sixty years younger, it would be a sound business investment. As it is, I'll stick to cables and faders at my age.

PS. I get to play with it on Saturday, I'm looking forward to that.