Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 9 of 564 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Gig, Bad Gig.

Yes, all day.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    That's very true, Shaun.

I remember about 10 or 15 years ago I had my first gig where nobody danced for the whole night...they were just sat down or standing at the bar chatting.

At the end of the evening, I went up to the birthday girl and said that I hope the disco had been ok...expecting her to start moaning, but she said it had been brilliant & everyone had really enjoyed the music!

Rob! You did a background music gig!!!!!
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    Tee-Hee
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    What a corker of a gig. It goes from bad to brilliant.

Got there only to find i was 2 hours early. lol. Should ofread paperwork correctly. Whoops. Anyway, so i phoned the client and said i was here outside the venue. About 15 mins later the birthday boy let me in and we started to setup. Got everything setup and the most inportant thing didnt work, the keyboard. So i had to spend the whole night using the small buttons to find the songs. . No idea what it was not working, worked earlier as i uploaded some more songs. Anyway.

Very very slow start. So i just played some chart stuff to start with then some 80's, but the stuff you like to listen to but not dance to. Then the buffet so i announced that and everybody rushed over. Same ol same ol.

After the food i played brown girl in the ring and got about 50% on the dance floor and kept most of them there all night, playing music from all over the place. Just to keep them on the floor really. Elvis - Blue Sued Shoes went down really well and got a few more people up. At this time i was "buzzing like a bee" as i like to put it and was dancing up behind the decks.

Just before the end i played build me up butter cup and finished with the old favourite Come on Eileen (cant spell that). That got the birthboy up dancing up at the back.

What a great night.

Got to use the smoke machine (heavy fluid though )with 1 impossibled, 4 par cans and 2 scanner. Worked really well in the venue.

And to top it off i gave out 12 buisness cards which is my all time record. lol.

But the intresting thing was the client who booked me saw me do a halloween disco in 2007 and was impressed. She got my number from the veune. Bit strange the venue still have my number, even though i havent had any bookings from them since.

Anyway, that was a good gig for me. Thanks for reading.
    Well done. You see they do get better.

No Theo...I did a disco where nobody danced.

Not the same thing!

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Well done. You see they do get better.
    Yeah. It just really gets to me when people are not having a good time. Thats the whole idea of a DJ, to entertain people, make them feel good and have a good time.

Just bugs me thats all.

Tonights gig went ok. Bit of a slow start but there was a lot of toe tappiing, clapping, nodding but not a lot of dancing. Ended well but it finished at 11pm. Thats an early one for me.

Well I've just had a great one. It's not often you get a gig where you don't care if nobody dances, but apart from a Short Rock and Roll set, an even shorter Tamla one, and a three track Westlife/Robbie Williams one it was all either off the client's list, or my assessment of it. It was a 40th wedding anniversarry, so most folk were family, and the Husband brought a box of CD's with stickers on for preferred tracks. After a quick look through, I saw the common ground, and plasyed what I thought suitable out of mine as well. Halfway through, client came up and asked how I was playing so many of his favourites? He couldn't believe how many tracks I had along the same lines as his choices. Never had more than ten people dancing, everybody went away very happy, including me.

Music? All the way from the pure Buck Owens, and George Jones, through the less serious Jimmy Buffett, Jim Stafford to Mavericks, Roy Orbison. The serious Steve Earle, ( Guitar Town, Copperhead Road, Johnny come lately, and She's about a mover! Not often I play all those in one gig!! ) into Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks ( Half an album nearly) loads of Ladies with voices, Emmylou Harris, Lorrie Morgan, Dolly Parton, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Linda Ronstadt, and Nanci Griffith! Bonus of two tracks by the Kentucky Headhunters, Blue moon of Kentucky, which I know and love, and Oh Lonesome Me, which was a revelation. I can feel a trawl round Amazon coming on.

Note to Propeller: Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, I've only had one gig like this in thirty years. You should be well in with your Jazz/Swing /Ratpack.
    I may even have to purchase that Mr Bubble's album, I don't think I can avoid it any longer!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Well I've just had a great one. It's not often you get a gig where you don't care if nobody dances, but apart from a Short Rock and Roll set, an even shorter Tamla one, and a three track Westlife/Robbie Williams one it was all either off the client's list, or my assessment of it. It was a 40th wedding anniversarry, so most folk were family, and the Husband brought a box of CD's with stickers on for preferred tracks. After a quick look through, I saw the common ground, and plasyed what I thought suitable out of mine as well. Halfway through, client came up and asked how I was playing so many of his favourites? He couldn't believe how many tracks I had along the same lines as his choices. Never had more than ten people dancing, everybody went away very happy, including me.

Music? All the way from the pure Buck Owens, and George Jones, through the less serious Jimmy Buffett, Jim Stafford to Mavericks, Roy Orbison. The serious Steve Earle, ( Guitar Town, Copperhead Road, Johnny come lately, and She's about a mover! Not often I play all those in one gig!! ) into Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks ( Half an album nearly) loads of Ladies with voices, Emmylou Harris, Lorrie Morgan, Dolly Parton, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Linda Ronstadt, and Nanci Griffith! Bonus of two tracks by the Kentucky Headhunters, Blue moon of Kentucky, which I know and love, and Oh Lonesome Me, which was a revelation. I can feel a trawl round Amazon coming on.

Note to Propeller: Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, I've only had one gig like this in thirty years. You should be well in with your Jazz/Swing /Ratpack.
    I may even have to purchase that Mr Bubble's album, I don't think I can avoid it any longer!
    Hey great music. Wish I had a few more gigs like that.

I had a nice little gig last night at one of my regular places. It was a 40th birthday with only around 30-40 people making it fairly intimate. They were a really friendly bunch and I had a lot of fun with them doing a lot of mic work, but also having periods of mixing.

Since I've got the HC4500 I really seem to be getting back into mixing!

Music was fairly diverse with the requests ranging from Queen to 50 cent.

Anyway, I finished at midnight and as I was packing away the birthday boy thrust some cash in my hand and I thanked him and said I would give the tip to my kids (as I normally do). Little did I know till I checked that it was £50 though!