Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighting meet

Default Lighting meet

right, even thou the speaker meet was a bit of a let down ,(attendance wise) i am going to try and organise a lighting meet, as there seems quite a bit of intrest in one. proberlby get a lighting manufacturer, laser manufac, and possible a shop that sells both makes to help get people down there with special deals on the day.
    have some diffrent makes/types of lights down there etc,

but one of the things we're looking at doing is having a dmx seminar/lesson type thing, were the basics of dmx are coverd. i know it's a bit of a scary subject for some , espcially with tca-6 and micro controllers out there, but some people want to know but need some guidence.

your thoughts please and does anyone know where we can get a good deal on a marquee for 40/50people in leicester for a sunday?

if you have any thogughts or ideas please post and all will be considered. if you marquee details please contact me via phone/email/pm

cheers.

Dave

Sam

Learn to spell / use a spell checker and I might take the idea seriously.

But seriously though.. I wouldn't be interested and I don't think many others would. Maybe the attendance of your last try is a bit of a give away about the quality of the idea.

Heres a though: if people don't know about DMX... all it takes is to use a bit of trial and error with a controller - it really is that simple. They just need to take the time to read the manual and work out how to do it - using their brain! Simple.

Not sure why they would want to go to a event in a marquee thing just to see some lights... they can just go to a DJ shop and see them in action.

I find it highly unlikely that you will get manafacturers to go. Especially any interesting big companies who actually make quality units.

What makes you so good at the subject that you can tell others how to do it?
    Wouldn't want to think they would get bad habits....

But like I said. my main point really is that fact that DMX is easy. You just need to give a little time to it and sit down and learn how to use your kit properly. If you don't want to .. then stick to use master / slave plug and play. Which quite a few DJs do batherway! - - - So really that's a second point. The ones who want to use DMX *DO AND WILL* even if it involves learning. The ones who can;t be bothered with it *WONT*.. I don't think it is a case that they don't because they don't know how!!

So no.. I think it is a bad idea.

it wouldn't be me personally doing the instruction as i don't know it well enought to teach. you wouldn't need to got to the seminar if you didn't want to it's not compulsery. the idea is that we have diffrent guys turning up with diffrent makes and types so show what they use, give ideas to others, and other to get tips.

as i said one of the major casues for the lack of turn out at the speaker meet was the date was finalised late only a couple of months. Plus there were a lot of poeple who said yes then didn't, this was the most dissapointing.

i already have one manufactuer who have agreed to sponser the event. i just need to set the date, which may or ay not be depending on other factors at this moment of time but yeah hoping to get the date sorted very quickly.

not many shops i know, have or make time to show people how to dmx their controllers. i do on my par cans, and when i get the time i will do my main lights at the momment i'm using a micro controller.
    dmxing is a lot better than using these, but they are a great quick way other than using s2l.

at the end of the day it may not be for you, fair enough, but there maybe other who it would be very helpfull.

Bit of a negative response there Sam. It's not just about DJ's being able to see and compare lighting effects and learn new things, but an oppurtunity for people to meet, network and discuss issues that will maybe help in moving the industry forward.

It's actually nice to see people making the effort to try new things.

Jamie
    Last edited by Paul James Promotions; 13-03-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You act like very spoiled rude litle boy at times Sam.

Why not try and be pleasant to people.

Quote Originally Posted by 5tatman View Post
    right, even thou the speaker meet was a bit of a let down ,(attendance wise) i am going to try and organise a lighting meet, as there seems quite a bit of intrest in one. proberlby get a lighting manufacturer, laser manufac, and possible a shop that sells both makes to help get people down there with special deals on the day.
    have some diffrent makes/types of lights down there etc,

but one of the things we're looking at doing is having a dmx seminar/lesson type thing, were the basics of dmx are coverd. i know it's a bit of a scary subject for some , espcially with tca-6 and micro controllers out there, but some people want to know but need some guidence.

your thoughts please and does anyone know where we can get a good deal on a marquee for 40/50people in leicester for a sunday?

if you have any thogughts or ideas please post and all will be considered. if you marquee details please contact me via phone/email/pm

cheers.

Dave

Hi, you could contact Jon (Ellaskins) on youtube, he has organised quite a few things and gone very well. He doing a DJ school in wales soon. a lot of intrest

www.youtube.com/ellaskins
    Last edited by DJWilson; 13-03-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Thats a bit outters.

For all we know dave may have a selling issue which he cannot help.
    Nathan.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You act like very spoiled rude litle boy at times Sam.

Why not try and be pleasant to people.
    I think that can be sent right back to you sometimes Darren.

Nice to see you've edited the title of the topic... =)
    Last edited by Sam; 13-03-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

You can express an opinion without being rude though.

And talking about arrogance..

Heres a though: if people don't know about DMX... all it takes is to use a bit of trial and error with a controller - it really is that simple. They just need to take the time to read the manual and work out how to do it - using their brain! Simple.
    So everyone who doesn't understand DMX is just stupid and/or not trying hard enough?

And ignorance....

Not sure why they would want to go to a event in a marquee thing just to see some lights... they can just go to a DJ shop and see them in action.

I find it highly unlikely that you will get manafacturers to go. Especially any interesting big companies who actually make quality units.
    Not everyone has local DJ shops, and if you'd have been to any of the previous speaker shows you'd appreciate the advantage of being able to see such a wide range of gear in a proper live environment, and talk to the owners about how it works for them and get an unbiased view.

Any why wouldn't any manufacturers be interested? They certainley have been at the last two coalville shows... and if imagine if Paul Arnett had took that attitude when he first started organising DJ Show North!

Luckily, not everyone is quite so negative as you and is interested enough to attend shows like that, if anything, just for the social side. I'll certainley be travelling up again.
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Yep i will be there again.Hopefully get the chance to have a beer or two this time.Was good to put names to faces last week.