Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Def not a karaoke singer......

ppentertainments

I never do just karaoke. I always say karaoke-disco to protect myself. Have done karaoke where people are up all night and had some where no-one comes up. By doing disco it is always a good excuse if the crowd are drunk and may damage microphones / equipment. I normally do karaoke till about 1030 then disco till finish. Like everything though i 'play it by ear'.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I never do just karaoke. I always say karaoke-disco to protect myself. Have done karaoke where people are up all night and had some where no-one comes up. By doing disco it is always a good excuse if the crowd are drunk and may damage microphones / equipment. I normally do karaoke till about 1030 then disco till finish. Like everything though i 'play it by ear'.
    I also think PP ents has the correct approach and actually expect some microphone damage so only use the cheapest mikes I can find. As for getting up to start the ball rolling, my usual tactic is to give them a song (not too well sung) before announcing "If you don't want to hear more of that...get up yourself!"

Rob (Mister Musicman) - Purveyor of Leicestershire Cheese
    www.mistermusicman.co.uk

If you are purely a KJ then it is imperative that you sing. It's all about entertainment isn't it?

A few years ago, I was presenting karaoke for 500 OU students at Reading Uni. This was for 9 weeks during the summer and every week I started with a 30 mins set myself as people arrived at different times and I felt I couldn't just sit there and do nothing until they were ready to sing.

Again,I will differ from others here, as we use reasonably expensive radio mics and market out services at a higher level. I bought cheap rubbish and they didn't last. If people ruin equipment, they pay for it and this is pointed out in the T&Cs.

I think karaoke/discos are a nightmare, as you always get arguements with people wanting to sing when there's the disco and people wanting to dance when there's karaoke.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    If you are purely a KJ then it is imperative that you sing. It's all about entertainment isn't it?

A few years ago, I was presenting karaoke for 500 OU students at Reading Uni. This was for 9 weeks during the summer and every week I started with a 30 mins set myself as people arrived at different times and I felt I couldn't just sit there and do nothing until they were ready to sing.

Again,I will differ from others here, as we use reasonably expensive radio mics and market out services at a higher level. I bought cheap rubbish and they didn't last. If people ruin equipment, they pay for it and this is pointed out in the T&Cs.

I think karaoke/discos are a nightmare, as you always get arguements with people wanting to sing when there's the disco and people wanting to dance when there's karaoke.

If any microphones are damaged what are the chances of the client paying up ? I have never been in this situation but would think the chances of that happening are very slim. I for one could not afford, or even think worthwhile, to go through procedures to claim the money back. I agree you can market your services higher with better equipment but the risks v income has to be considered IMO

Have never had much trouble with doing karaoke/disco. I encourage everyone to sing early on then if anyone asks to dance inform them that there will be more disco later in the evening. People who want to dance often get up while the karaoke is on anyway.

In my experience people all want to sing towards the end, when they've had a few drinky poos, so I'm not sure that stopping the karaoke at 10:30pm is a great idea? Surely they must have just got going by then?

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    In my experience people all want to sing towards the end, when they've had a few drinky poos, so I'm not sure that stopping the karaoke at 10:30pm is a great idea? Surely they must have just got going by then?
    Won't neccesarily stop the karaoke but if people have had too many drinky poos it is a good way to prevent any damage I think may occur. I find by about 9 they have had some dutch courage but often by later in the evening have had too much.

Likes a bit of accapello DJmissbehaving's Avatar

What if it was a karaoke/disco and you were the DJ. You had no singers/ requests and you are a very bad singer?? Would you stil sing or just play some music and keep reminding the party that karaoke is on??

I am a very poor singer but i love a good laugh but feel i would probably ruin the gig if i was to sing.....

Hi pam. there will be songs in your karaoke catalogue that you can get away with singing, it's just a case of finding them. i dunno what would suit your voice, so you should try practicing around the house first,

if like you say you are not a great singer then steer clear of songs sung originally by great singers ie karen carpenter, whitney, leona etc

even the worst singer in the world could chant out a version of
    "always look on the bright side of life" or "oh so quiet by bjork"
    "money (thats what i want) - flying lizards" theres loads where the original singers were not great to start with...lol, just think of all the punky / new wave type songs.
    Last edited by axeman; 16-03-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: missed a bit out
    "Flexability - versatility and a sat-nav !!"

BeatRoute Mobile Disco & Karaoke covering Sunderland, Durham, & Tyne and wear areas.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by DJmissbehaving View Post
    What if it was a karaoke/disco and you were the DJ. You had no singers/ requests and you are a very bad singer?? Would you stil sing or just play some music and keep reminding the party that karaoke is on??

I am a very poor singer but i love a good laugh but feel i would probably ruin the gig if i was to sing.....
    Would depend on the crowd. In the past I have found a lot of younger ones (mainly female but not being sexist) request karaoke but really just want disco. I think karaoke has a but of a buzz to it.

As far as being a poor singer as axeman says there are some easy to sing songs and as i mentioned earlier a lot is about the fun not serious singing. I am terrible but involve the crowd, get them up dancing etc which helps. My personal opinion is to look confident.

As someone has already said if you are a karaoke dj then you should be able to sing.

Bit off topic but when i was at college i was taught how to sing correctly like standing up straight, opening your mouth and projecting your voice. Even though i know how to sing i still choose not to.

I guess if the money was ok and the buisness was there then i guess i would think about doing it but i dont have the confidence in myself to sing infront of people full stop. lol