Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loose XLR connection on Active Speaker?

Default Loose XLR connection on Active Speaker?

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had any advice they could give me on sorting out this problem I have encountered. One of my DB Technologies Active speakers seems to have a loose XLR connection.

If I connect the XLR lead to it, it will sound fine but if I push it in a little bit harder (apologies for the double entendres), it will get louder. It's as if it isn't connecting fully as it should?

Is this something I can fix myself? If so, how? It's only the one speaker and I only use them for small-ish functions. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had any advice they could give me on sorting out this problem I have encountered. One of my DB Technologies Active speakers seems to have a loose XLR connection.

If I connect the XLR lead to it, it will sound fine but if I push it in a little bit harder (apologies for the double entendres), it will get louder. It's as if it isn't connecting fully as it should?

Is this something I can fix myself? If so, how? It's only the one speaker and I only use them for small-ish functions. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
    Gary
    Sometimes low grade XLR connectors don't connect as well as higher grade ones. Often if there's a rubber o-ring fitted, it helps to positively locate the connectors. This is probably one place where it's definitely worth spending extra to get better. ( says the man with a box full of cheap and cheerful. )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Cheers but what do you mean? Do you mean decent cables?
    Apologies for any confusion but I man the connection on the back of the speaker. If that is on it's way out or needs replacing, how do I go about it?
    Thanks again.

Cheers but what do you mean? Do you mean decent cables?Apologies for any confusion but I man the connection on the back of the speaker. If that is on it's way out or needs replacing, how do I go about it?
    Thanks again.
    Yes. And then again, no. The actual connector. Usually if you buy a cheap cable, you get a cheap connector. Expensive cable . good connector. This isn't an infallible rule, but it's a good start. Some brands of connector don't mate well with others, and don't ask how to tell first, cos I have no idea.

Re the connector on your cab, if you're lucky it will be screwed in, and be replaceable. The CPC website is down at the moment, so I can't show a link, but the worst case scenario is probably bolting a new one in place, and soldering the wires onto the new one.

I'm sure others with greater knowledge than I will add helpful advice here

Website's back up. Something like this.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nc4fd...sis/dp/CN07185
    Locking tab often helps aid security.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 31-05-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Oops, wrong number of connectors.
    Like this.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nc3fd...in_merch=true&

Hi all,

Thanks
    Gary
    Have you tried a different cable in the affected speaker, are you sure it's the cabinet socket and not the plug on the lead?

If it is the cabinet socket can you post the model so i can search for a picture of the back plate, you may find that the socket is soldered onto a PCB in the amplifier module which will be a bigger, more involved job?
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    Have you tried a different cable in the affected speaker, are you sure it's the cabinet socket and not the plug on the lead?
    Pretty much what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    If it is the cabinet socket can you post the model so i can search for a picture of the back plate, you may find that the socket is soldered onto a PCB in the amplifier module which will be a bigger, more involved job?
    Ah. The worst case scenario which I'd overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Pretty much what I said.
    ... so you did, must stop skim reading
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Thanks guys.
    Tony, I've been looking around the 'net for pictures of the backplate and there are only pictures of the Basic 200 which is a less powerful model but it looks more or less the same design. Here's an example.
    Yes, I have tried different XLR leads with it and I would say that it's definitely the connection on the back of the speaker.

Aha! Possible easy fix/fault finding chance. Try using the jack socket with a cable like this, see if it saves taking the cab to bits.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...36&Ntt=AV12936