Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lightweight poly cabinets

Default lightweight poly cabinets

i've been using good old fashioned timber cabinets for a while know and they are starting to look a little old & scabby, plus replacing the driver & tweeters twice know i've thought about the new lightweight poly cabinets.

just using these an example have used this company quite often know and seems like half decent gear anybody used these yet

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems...5/20709_p.html

the ones that im currently using are based on these but with uprated eminence delta 12" cones

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems...h/19286_p.html

i've been using good old fashioned timber cabinets for a while know and they are starting to look a little old & scabby, plus replacing the driver & tweeters twice know i've thought about the new lightweight poly cabinets.

just using these an example have used this company quite often know and seems like half decent gear anybody used these yet

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems...5/20709_p.html

the ones that im currently using are based on these but with uprated eminence delta 12" cones

http://www.terralec.co.uk/jb_systems...h/19286_p.html

or can anybody suggest any others of same type
    Last edited by mldiscos; 17-04-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: edit
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

I'm going back to bed, I'm seeing double

IMHO Plastic cabs don't have the same rich sound as "wooden" ones regardless of make.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Me too. I dont like plastic speaker cabs.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I'm going back to bed, I'm seeing double

IMHO Plastic cabs don't have the same rich sound as "wooden" ones regardless of make.
    I agree on the whole though you can't possibly generalise and people who do haven't listened to many makes and models of plastic cabs.

I'd like some people to listen to plastic cabs blindfolded to see if they could tell the difference.

You may also notice the lightweight cabinates are actually 5 kilos heavier than your current cabs. Saying that plastic cabs dont all sound bad. I know a fair few people who use mackie or db plastic cabs.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

I used Mackie plastic tops for years and was very happy with them.
    I now use wooden ones as I could get more speaker for my money and with having more speakers it does sound nice. Saying that though, the 12" tops are the plastic variety and still sound good, and I think it would be difficult to tell the difference to the un-trained ear.

We've had this discussion about plastic vs wooden cabs hundreds of times now. My advice, make sure you listen to them and if you think they sound good, why not buy them. A lot of it is personal prefferance (and sometimes badge snobbery).

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    My advice, make sure you listen to them and if you think they sound good, why not buy them. A lot of it is personal prefferance (and sometimes badge snobbery).
    Indeed
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    Me too. I dont like plastic speaker cabs.
    For years I was in full agreement with Steve & Theo.

That was before hearing these beauties.
    http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/e_series/e12/

Very comparable with C6 and weighing in 12kg lighter at just 16kg

Tony

I agree with several posts on this thread about it being a case of personal taste.

I have both wooden and plastic (ABS or some term like that) cabinets and my favourites (at the moment) are the prolight e-115's (15" 300w) in plastic cabinets. They've got a good overall sound and work well with my mixer. What's more they've served me well over the last couple of years so they've proved their worth.

The speakers for my next system are likely to active ones in plastic cabs. But this is still up for discussion.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I agree. If they sound good (and they are durable) buy them. Never say never. What I said about plastic cabs is a generalization but nonetheless true. I have yet to be convinced.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco