Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: lightweight poly cabinets

I use the carlsbro active subs and to be honest 1 mackie 1501 is better than 2 carlsbro 15/600 subs but for me it was a simple weight issue the carlsbro were lighter and with the two they do the job admirably just not the thumping floor moving capability of the mackie imo.

i think the rig looks nicer though with the carlsbros than it did with the big brick like mackie also like the look better with 2 carlsbros than 2 mackies ........ just my personal taste.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Out of interest does anyone do plastic bass cabs?
    I once worked with a sound hire guy (one man band) who had 8 of these plastic active bass cabs (4 a side): http://www.jpleisure.co.uk/item1371.htm
    & 8 active tops to match.

The sound was OK'ish but he would have got a much better bass sound from a pair of Folded Horns or proper 18" subs, would have taken up less van space & cost less too!
    ----------www.partyshopdisco.co.uk - www.weddingdiscodorset.co.uk
    -----Outstanding Wedding Disco Entertainment for Dorset & Somerset
    -----------------------01305 775579 - 07876 136663

Have seen the info on a speaker company coming to the next SEDA shownight. The look good. Will be interesting to hear them.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

I prefer solid cabinets rather than plastic as in some venues i play i can get away with just my 12" top speakers due to the excellent amount of bass they throw out where as other DJ's i know in the same venue who have ABS / plastic speakers of the same size have to take subs with them to achieve a decent sound.

In my opinion you dont get the same amount of bass from a plastic cabinet as you do a solid cabinet but thats only my opinion others will no doubt disagree

Quote Originally Posted by DJWayne View Post
    I prefer solid cabinets rather than plastic as in some venues i play i can get away with just my 12" top speakers due to the excellent amount of bass they throw out where as other DJ's i know in the same venue who have ABS / plastic speakers of the same size have to take subs with them to achieve a decent sound.

In my opinion you dont get the same amount of bass from a plastic cabinet as you do a solid cabinet but thats only my opinion others will no doubt disagree
    I do.

You can't possibly generalise about something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I do.

You can't possibly generalise about something like that.
    you following me?

like i said my opinion but maybe it should have been my personal preference instead , its been a long day already

you following me?
    Might be.

like i said my opinion but maybe it should have been my personal preference instead , its been a long day already
    But the point is, there are hundreds of different brands, makes and manufacturers of speakers and you can't possibly say all wooden cabs are better then all plastic cabs.

I seem to be agreeing a lot today i must be unwell lol

When i went scouting for my main speakers i did audition several different pairs of around the same price / wattage / size and much preferred the sound of the solid cabinets hence i bought the martin F12's that i use.

No doubt a pair of £1,000 plastic speakers would sound better than £100 solid cabs. So yes you do have a point you cant say all solid cabs are better than all plastic but in a like for like comparison i prefer solid

No doubt a pair of £1,000 plastic speakers would sound better than £100 solid cabs.
    I don't think that's a very fair comparison either. Ive used EV, Mackie and RCF cabs in the last 3 years that would make the equivalently priced wooden ones sound rubbish.

MA are very good and at the top end of the market, so I'm not sure that is a fair comparison when it comes to most disco equipment.