Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Song lists

ppentertainments

Default Song lists

Am wondering what everyone does to keep their catalogue of songs, which they give to customers to choose the song, updated.

I currently have all my tracks on a spreadsheet which is fine till it comes to printing hard copies to give out.

Whenever I buy new discs I print them off and put them in the front of the folder then occasionally print out new folders to keep everything in alphabetical order. Does anyone have any different ideas to help save the trees, and ink !! more importantly.

if your doing it digitally, you caneliminate the need for books with a kiosk. Swift elite has a very nice kiosk program that queues up the song in your playlist and keeps a singer rotation in play

Having a catalogue of over 18,000 tracks, it's difficult to make song books so, what we do, is put the more mainstream songs in to books (about 5,000 songs in there) but then use a spreadsheet with all the songs in on a separate laptop. We tell everyone that they can use the books for inspiration but if they can't find what they're looking for to come up and see us. The spreadsheet uses filter cells so we can search for tracks quickly and easily. My assistant DJ does all the searching.

As for updating the books, there is a 'latest additions' section at the back where new tracks get put. The books are then re-printed yearly so as not to spend too much on printing & paper costs.

I'm not too sure what James means by Kiosk program. If it involves punters using my equipment to search for their own songs, then that's a no-no. It's bad enough drunken karaoke wannabies abusing my mics but there's no way they're getting near my other gear! Mind you, I've just had a quick gander at Swift Elite and the first thing I noticed is that it's from Tricerasoft so that was a good start. However, I can't see that it does anything different from my Virtual DJ with it's array of plug-ins. Maybe I'm missing something, though.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 20-04-2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Having a catalogue of over 18,000 tracks, it's difficult to make song books so, what we do, is put the more mainstream songs in to books (about 5,000 songs in there) but then use a spreadsheet with all the songs in on a separate laptop. We tell everyone that they can use the books for inspiration but if they can't find what they're looking for to come up and see us. The spreadsheet uses filter cells so we can search for tracks quickly and easily. My assistant DJ does all the searching.

As for updating the books, there is a 'latest additions' section at the back where new tracks get put. The books are then re-printed yearly so as not to spend too much on printing & paper costs.

I'm not too sure what James means by Kiosk program. If it involves punters using my equipment to search for their own songs, then that's a no-no. It's bad enough drunken karaoke wannabies abusing my mics but there's no way they're getting near my other gear! Mind you, I've just had a quick gander at Swift Elite and the first thing I noticed is that it's from Tricerasoft so that was a good start. However, I can't see that it does anything different from my Virtual DJ with it's array of plug-ins. Maybe I'm missing something, though.
    Thanks.
    You seem to be using similar methods to me. Guess there is no way of making it easier because like you anyone using my equipment is a no-no.
    Could be a good business idea for someone - a robust karaoke song selector with touch screen so when customers choose a song it sends a message to your laptop

I simply use excel as a spreadsheet as have not gone digital on karaoke yet. Simple but works a treat.

My main karaoke books were created using Karaoke Song List Creator which is a great little database. However, I stopped working for a while and, when I came back, couldn't remember my password to download the updates from the website. So, I just exported my book to Excel and added new discs manually. I also used the Data Filter options to create handy little drop-down search cells which is very handy to find tracks easily.

KSLC is a really useful program, though, and I would recommend it to anyone. Not sure exactly, but I paid about £50 for it around 3 years and you're supposed to get free updates for life. So, it's well worth it especially if you've got loads of discs to catalogue (I had over 250 CDGs at the same so it saved me loads of time)
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

what i do is, i know it's a long way round of doing it is to put all the info in xl and then convert it into a pdf and then use adobe on a seperate laptop and then i can search by artists of track and by disc number and track number just seems to be the easiest way to find that those elusive tracks in a hurry.

as for printing hard copies out these could be avaibale on special request usually i give then my reuqest list and they can use their own imagination/tv/radio/music channels or there cd/vinyl etc collection to make the list up.
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by mldiscos View Post
    what i do is, i know it's a long way round of doing it is to put all the info in xl and then convert it into a pdf and then use adobe on a seperate laptop and then i can search by artists of track and by disc number and track number just seems to be the easiest way to find that those elusive tracks in a hurry.

as for printing hard copies out these could be avaibale on special request usually i give then my reuqest list and they can use their own imagination/tv/radio/music channels or there cd/vinyl etc collection to make the list up.

Why convert from excel to pdf ?? Excel search facility is very adequate.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Is the request list something you send out before the event ? The question on the post is about the lists distributed on the evening !!

Cheer for replying though

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Why convert from excel to pdf ?? Excel search facility is very adequate.

I don't understand your last paragraph. Is the request list something you send out before the event ? The question on the post is about the lists distributed on the evening !!

Cheer for replying though
    When I need to print books from Excel I do print to a PDF file first as it gives me an idea what the book will look like before I commit it to paper.

Also, upon request, I can email the PDF version to clients who want to see the songbook before the show. This is helpful for venues who can select tracks for a 'no-play' list (ie tracks with swearing or inappropriate material, for example). I give venues the chance to do this as, if there is no no-play list for an event then any song in my library is fair game. I've done it this way since I did a karaoke about 5 years ago and someone sang Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols and the venue manager said it was inappropriate and demanded I turn it off about 1 min into the song. He then told me to end the night there (about 10.15pm). I was disappointed with this although he did pay me for the full night. Never went back, though!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Default Printing Books

I have an office-based day job, I find that light, occasional abuse of the office laser printer tends to keep things ticking over nicely. HA-HA.

I print a "recently added" list every few months, or when I have added anything significant. This is mostly new chart stuff, Valerie, Mercy, etc, you know, stuff they are hearing on the radio now. I recently added Basshunter (for my sins). I will then keep the popular stuff in the "recently added for the next month, before integrating them into the rest of the list.

I like the Kiosk idea though, sounds like a winner. Maybe we could aquire some of those "check your item" machines from argos stores, bolt em to the tables and use them to search the karaoke database. Same principle I'm guessing! But they'd have to be waterproof, or rather "beer proof".

By Kiosk, i mean i have a (very) old PC all boxed in with keyboard exposed, perspex over the (also old) monitor, this is networked to my main pc via WiFi. all a punter does is type their name, then a song hit enter & it places the song from my main hard drive directory straight into the "B" deck of swift elite. Along with the punters name!!, other than that the only thing they ever touch is my Mic's