Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Messenger pro

Default Messenger pro

Krazy-K is gonna love this one

Am interested in buying the full Messenger pro series package, 2 x 15" tops and the 2 15" bass bins, at the moment these fit my budget with just starting up and is a case of better the devil you know.

All are rated at 4Ohms so was wondering how this would work in regards to type of amp to use?
    I see that the pro 15 bass bins have the built in crossover or as stated High pass output for mid/high frequency satellite, how would this work if I used a single amp, would this mean I would be running at 2Ohms or does it work differently on these?

Alternatively if this would reduce them to 2Ohms I would have to buy 2 amps, one for the tops and one for the bass.
    What power ratings would you recommend for each or what amps would you recommend?

All are 300wrms at 4Ohms

I have the 4 Ohm Peavey Pro Bass bins and it states in the manual that the crossover is designed so that if you add tops, the impedance will stay at 4 Ohms.

I didn't buy the tops 'cause I personally didn't like the sound of them. Got W Audio PSR 12's instead.

For the bass bins on their own, I use a T.Amp 1050 from Thomanns (with a limiter as its a little overpowered :-) ) which I am extremely please with for the price. Would probably be happy running the tops too or one of the other T.Amps (I use active crossover with a separate amp for tops).

The T.Amps are highly recommended in the Blueroom forum and seem pretty good value for the money to me.

Quote Originally Posted by KARL-D View Post

Am interested in buying the full Messenger pro series package, 2 x 15" tops and the 2 15" bass bins, at the moment these fit my budget with just starting up and is a case of better the devil you know.

All are rated at 4Ohms so was wondering how this would work in regards to type of amp to use?
    I see that the pro 15 bass bins have the built in crossover or as stated High pass output for mid/high frequency satellite, how would this work if I used a single amp, would this mean I would be running at 2Ohms or does it work differently on these?

Alternatively if this would reduce them to 2Ohms I would have to buy 2 amps, one for the tops and one for the bass.
    What power ratings would you recommend for each or what amps would you recommend?

All are 300wrms at 4Ohms
    Excellent choice--Just dont let Tony know at A1---

Far as I know using the Tops and Subs together with the correct leads--just been sold a duff one the overall result is 4ohms.

My matching Peavey XR800Fpowered mixer amp is 500 watts rms per channel into 4 ohms.

You could use a Peavey Amp that would do the job--Mine powers both tops and subs--using the hi pass filter--but you could use separate amps.

I did not feel it was worth the effort as my Peavey set up is matched to be driven by one amp (if you want that)

Less to carry etc.

Ive had no complaints using that set up--well actually there was one at the last Wedding--the people in the next village down the road to the Hotel could hear me--and didnt like it--theres no pleasing some people!

CRAZY K
    Last edited by CRAZY K; 21-04-2008 at 04:47 PM.

In that case the T.Amp 1050 is not far off the mark at 525w at 4 ohms and at £145.00 is a bargain

Just don't try carrying two at once if you're fast approaching 45and live in North Surrey

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Just don't try carrying two at once if you're fast approaching 45and live in North Surrey
    Two--surely you mean ONE?

CRAZY K

Thanks fellas, just been looking at the T.Amp do they have clipping indicators on them?

Yes they have clipping indicators - there are two LED's that will come on as the volume increases before it reaches the red. The website says that it has a built in limiter too but there is no mention of it in the manual. They are pretty "bomb proof" though.

Thanks Tony, their pretty lite in weight to

Quote Originally Posted by KARL-D View Post

All are 300wrms at 4Ohms
    Tony B and Krazy are both bang on. Basically, any sub with a top fed from the Hi-out will show the amp the impedance of the sub( It's like a multi way speaker system, just in more than one box. One amp will be fine, you can go to two later if you wish, but there's no rush.

Peavey suggest running amps twice the RMS power of the speakers, ( or same Program rating ) so since many of us run at about 1.5 times RMS it would be perfectly permissible to use this amp if you wished, and would give you a little extra leeway. I use this amp ( with a C-Mark badge in my case )into my cabs which are rated virtually the same as the Peaveys.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm