Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Messenger pro

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Tony B and Krazy are both bang on. Basically, any sub with a top fed from the Hi-out will show the amp the impedance of the sub( It's like a multi way speaker system, just in more than one box. One amp will be fine, you can go to two later if you wish, but there's no rush.

Peavey suggest running amps twice the RMS power of the speakers, ( or same Program rating ) so since many of us run at about 1.5 times RMS it would be perfectly permissible to use this amp if you wished, and would give you a little extra leeway. I use this amp ( with a C-Mark badge in my case )into my cabs which are rated virtually the same as the Peaveys.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm
    That amp does look better matched to run both subs and tops.

Thanks for the in depth advice fellas its helped a great deal indeed
    Last edited by One Vision; 21-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Peavey suggest running amps twice the RMS power of the speakers, ( or same Program rating ) so since many of us run at about 1.5 times RMS it would be perfectly permissible to use this amp if you wished, and would give you a little extra leeway. I use this amp ( with a C-Mark badge in my case )into my cabs which are rated virtually the same as the Peaveys.

Whats the reason for using twice the rms of the cabs?

Quote Originally Posted by KARL-D View Post
    Whats the reason for using twice the rms of the cabs?
    Headroom! Speakers can handle more than their rms rating in short bursts otherwise known as their peak rating. Typically a speakers peak rating is 4 times its rms rating.

The rms rating is the average power that a speaker can constantly run at.

An amplifier does not have the ability to provide the power for the "peaks". A typical amplifier will only be able to provide enough "peak" power for an additional 1db (about +33.3%). To cater for the higher peak power that the speakers can handle, you can use a more powerful amp.

For example, if you have speakers rated at 300w RMS, you use an amp with a power rating of 450w RMS. The idea is that you just use 300w of power from the amp and the other 150w is the headroom for the peaks. You should only use a higher rated amp if you have a limiter as any surges (such as feedback or dropping a mic) can overdrive the speakers and damage them.

Thanks Tony very interesting stuff mate

Tony B and Krazy are both bang on. Basically, any sub with a top fed from the Hi-out will show the amp the impedance of the sub( It's like a multi way speaker system, just in more than one box. One amp will be fine, you can go to two later if you wish, but there's no rush.

Who at Peavey told you that Peter?

When I visited Peavey Corby HQ they recommended my XR800F amp 500watts RMS per side into 4 Ohms feeding 2 Pro Subs and 2 Pro 15 tops which had a combined RMS rating of 1000 watts. Thats amp and speakers the same!

That was 3 years ago--the latest RMS ratings for the cabs have been increased a bit.

Ive not heard of having a bigger output at the amp compared to speaker handling. if thats what you are saying.

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Ive not heard of having a bigger output at the amp compared to speaker handling. if thats what you are saying.

CRAZY K
    That's a fairly well known way of doing it Al, though some people have a different opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    That's a fairly well known way of doing it Al, though some people have a different opinion....
    Things have moved on then--

It used to be speakers 1.5 times the amp to allow for peaking of amp--but I guess the MODERN AMPS are different ?

Im glad to say I dont have any issues with mine

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Things have moved on then--

It used to be speakers 1.5 times the amp to allow for peaking of amp--but I guess the MODERN AMPS are different ?

Im glad to say I dont have any issues with mine

CRAZY K
    I was really talking about having headroom on the amp rather than 1.5 or 2 times the power etc

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I was really talking about having headroom on the amp rather than 1.5 or 2 times the power etc
    Quite right Darren. The can of worms opens yet again, and I have to say if using the "Amp Double Speaker RMS" ploy, do resist the urge to turn all dials to eleven and run with the red lights flashing.

Alan, you obviously know your system well, and don't overdrive your amp. Fair enough, if it aint broke, don't fix it! The idea of a bigger amp is to allow you to run it with a little more capacity for transient peaks, without running out of steam. There are, as posted in a sticky on this subject, three schools of thought regarding matching amps to speakers, and whichever route you choose, it's still possible to break something if you try hard enough!

Excalibur Mobile Discotheques deny all liability for any damage caused to PA systems due to following this advice.