Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Denon (main) Cortex (backup)

Default Denon (main) Cortex (backup)

Denon (main) Cortex (backup)

Does anyone else use the above configuration.

I bought the cortex the other day to use as backup for my Denon. I presumed that I'd be able to store 2 database files on the HDD (denon database and cortex database), it appears it cant be done though . Once I added the cortex database the HDD is no longer recognised when switched back to the Denon.

Looks like I'm going to have to purchase yet another external HDD specifically for the cortex.

I knew I should've bought another Denon.

I would've expected a second HDD to have been part of the backup strategy

Eliminate another point of failure and all that...

Bear in mind that I'm a numpty when computers are involved, but surely the hard drive is more likely to throw a wobbly than the controller? Surely a second separate HD is the preferred option, rather than worst case scenario?

Edit: What do you know, seems I was right! Vectis typed faster than me, and I think he agrees with me.

You're both right. I do have a back up HDD, but I (wrongly) presumed I could use any of the hard drives with any of the HDD controllers, rather than having to have an independent HDD for each unit. Does that make sense? :O

In my thinking, if anything happened to the denon it would just be a case of taking the HDD usb from the denon and sticking it in the cortex. Maybe I just need to go back to bed....it's been a looong day.
    Last edited by Shaun; 23-04-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Ah! Gotcha. Interchangeability.

Because I use a laptop for background music, it acts as my backup for the main set. So my HDDs are interchangeable (although I usually carry FIVE)

1. Big fat 500GB disk with EVERYTHING on it, updated quarterly ... in the van
    2. Fairly fat 300GB disk with my archive on it ... bolted into the flightcase, connected to the d2 and updated annually
    3. 160GB self-powered drive with my "Master Playlist" on it - plugs into d2.
    4. Copy of #3 plugs into Laptop.
    5. 80GB self-powered drive with all the Now albums and a handful of pre-80's classics as an absolute backstop in case all else fails!
    6. 2GB memory stick with any newly downloaded stuff I want to trial before committing to the archive.

#3, #4 and #5 are never carried in the same bag, so if I were to "lose" one, I'd be OK.

The closest I've come to disaster was one day last summer when I updated #3 and #4 with some new tunes and then went out to a wedding. I forgot to do the 'Safe Eject' on one of the drives and connected to the d2 all it would see was directories, no files

So that night I worked from #3 connected to the laptop with the occasional tune from #2 played on the d2. Mighty stressful I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    You're both right. I do have a back up HDD, but I (wrongly) presumed I could use any of the hard drives with any of the HDD controllers, rather than having to have an independent HDD for each unit. Does that make sense? :O

In my thinking, if anything happened to the denon it would just be a case of taking the HDD usb from the denon and sticking it in the cortex. Maybe I just need to go back to bed....it's been a looong day.
    I see what you mean, but being a DJ of very little brain, and also one who likes to have discrete playout systems, if the Denon went down, wouldn't you simply use the Cortex part, especially if the reason for the Denon malfunction was a corrupted HD? All the more reason for separating them totally I'd say. ( Then again, what do I know? )

Edit: Vectis, I'm sure your system works admirably. Sadly I don't have a clue what you're on about! Is there a Dummies Guide available?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 23-04-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Edit: Vectis, I'm sure your system works admirably. Sadly I don't have a clue what you're on about! Is there a Dummies Guide available?
    OK I have a number of disks each with different amounts of music on them and they connect to any of my playout devices.

And that's before we get into video...

I can't wait for an affordable, portable, USB-powered 2TB disk to come along then all my problems will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I see what you mean, but being a DJ of very little brain, and also one who likes to have discrete playout systems, if the Denon went down, wouldn't you simply use the Cortex part, especially if the reason for the Denon malfunction was a corrupted HD? All the more reason for separating them totally I'd say. ( Then again, what do I know? )
    Being able to interchange the HDD's would've be preferable, and would mean only taking 2 hard drives to each gig (main and backup), as they would both work with any HDD controller. It looks like I'll need a minimum of 4 HDD's if I want full back up for each of my controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I knew I should've bought another Denon.
    You should've also used the search facility

I asked if you could use the same HD on D2 or Cortex as my Denon when I was looking for back up. Glad I asked & glad I've got 2 Denons.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Stop being so bloody tight - how much is a 500Gb HDD - £60?