Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe or Stupid idea

Default Safe or Stupid idea

I have just had a brain wave but I'm not to sure it's a safe idea but I may be proven wrong.

You all know the large full range cabs with dual 15" woofers ect ect.

Would it be safe to get some kind of stand to raise these speaker off the ground and give it a bit of height??? Now I know why would you want to do that. Why not buy tops and subs? Well as I said this is just an idea.

The reason I ask is that in one of Excalibur's rig picutres he has placed a large full range cab on tip of another speaker. Well instead of having another speaker, what about a small stand???

Could this be done in a safe manner???
    Last edited by jamesh; 23-04-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Changed title from Safe of Stupid idea to Safe OR Stupid idea... Think that's what you were getting at...

I would say the stand would need to be bigger than the base....say 3'' gap all the way round and would need to be supported underneath to strengthen it.

That would take up a bit more room in your car.......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    I would say the stand would need to be bigger than the base....say 3'' gap all the way round and would need to be supported underneath to strengthen it.

That would take up a bit more room in your car.......
    I said it was an idea.

Then if this was to happen then i would have to strap the denon to the roof.

Or fit some caster wheels and tow it behind. Whoops, off topic already.

Would there be a height issue at all???

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Not sure......but would it not be like you playing on a stage.....you make yourself safe would you not.
    How high were you thinking of?
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Not sure......but would it not be like you playing on a stage.....you make yourself safe would you not.
    How high were you thinking of?
    Well the speakers are 109cm high and 46cm wide and deep. I was thinking of having 50cm bass but now after look at it with a tape measure it's starting to look a bit stupid.

Well the speakers are 109cm high and 46cm wide and deep. I was thinking of having 50cm bass but now after look at it with a tape measure it's starting to look a bit stupid.
    Oh i don't know.....maybe find something to fill that gap might make it look better.....

Tom, you would lose a lot of bottom end by NOT having the 15" drivers on the floor. Same reason why you don't see sub bass or kick bass cabs flown.

I said it was an idea.

Then if this was to happen then i would have to strap the denon to the roof.

Or fit some caster wheels and tow it behind. Whoops, off topic already.

Re extra carrying space generally--(not suitable for speakers)

ROOFBOX

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Best investment I ever........you know the story

CRAZY K

It has been done in the past but as has been said you get a better bass resonance if the cabinets are in direct contact with the floor. In the old days of vinyl it used to create floor rumble which came up through the tone arm; so it was sometimes preferable to get your speakers off the stage to prevent this happening.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

crikey have you considered the logistics of lifting them on and off stands???

I hereby declare myself out of the running (excuse the pun) for the job of kma's roadie

i'm sure it is possible but without injury??? im less sure.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote