Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Advice needed ref X-over fault?

Default Advice needed ref X-over fault?

I currently have a SoundTech x234 crossover.
    I have owned it a good few years and it has operated with no problems.

UNTIL NOW

This weekend i noticed my sound seemed off. Right hand side fine, left hand side was present but very quiet and muffled.

I thought that's odd, and at first thought a cable was the problem.

to cut a long story short, If i take the feed from the mixer directly to the amps everything works fine thus eliminating at least one cable fault (input)

is there something i'm missing or is my X over toast. Any similar faults you have experienced or advice greatfully received.

Other things I would like information on are

1) if we conclude the X-over is toast then what is a good replacement.
    2) At the NADJ show today i was given something to think about that i would like to run past you.

A reccomendation to use a 2 way crossover setting 1 point to run sub bass on my twin 18's (110hz) & second point 110hz upto 170hz for twin 15s mid bass & punch and leave the 15"+horn, mid tops - to run full range so not to waste the capability of the cabinet.

Must admit I hadn't thought of doing that, what do you think? + can you set a higher limit on a X over. I dont think i can on the one i have currently.

Many thanks in advance
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

Could still be a faulty cable connected to the output. I've had two XLR cables go bad for no reason and with similar result as you describe - i.e. muffled sound.

Changed the cable and it was fine.

Running tops full range does defeat the object a bit of having a crossover. The idea of not running the tops full range is so that the mids have better clarity. When you consider that a speaker is just a vibrating piece of cardboard, the low frequencies are the most powerful and can 'dull' or overpower the mids.

Also the low frequencies take most of the power and you are more likely to damage the tops using them full range if they get overdriven.

The low frequencies should also be at ground level. Its kinder to the punters not to have full range at ear level because they won't get an ear full of bass if they get too close to the speakers.

You can also run tops louder with mids and highs only as you don't have the bottom end taking the power.

For that reason most crossovers will only allow you to crossover at a set frequency for both. Subs should be able to produce more than enough bottom end without the need to runs the tops full range.

The only crossover I have where you can set the frequencies individually for tops and bottoms is a cheapo Gemini CX1000. The other two I have, Behringher CX2310 and Ecler FAP 30L will only allow one crossover frequency.

To be honest, I think having the tops full range AND having bass bins is a bit of a boy racer attitude to have over emphasised bottom end "thump" rather than a quality sound.

Thank Tony for the only responce

Its now sorted, would you belive that all it was, was a little switch on the back i must have knocked accidently which set the crossover into mono.

Thank you anyway
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Veal View Post
    Thank Tony for the only responce

Its now sorted, would you belive that all it was, was a little switch on the back i must have knocked accidently which set the crossover into mono.

Thank you anyway
    I would believe it, since I did exactly the same thing to an amp, and couldn't understand why turning the right hand volume down had no effect! In mono, the left hand control runs both sides, apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I would believe it, since I did exactly the same thing to an amp, and couldn't understand why turning the right hand volume down had no effect! In mono, the left hand control runs both sides, apparently!
    Thats bridge mono bud check out the 3 tutorials that are pinned