Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD music for discos

Default DVD music for discos

I am going down the route of adding DVD to my disco.

I have purchased a Promo Only DVD and am looking at Mixmash DVDs as well. Those of you that are using DVDs on your disco, do you use conventional DVDs as well, like the NOW compilations or Greatest Hit collections as well?

I am going to buy a laptop so that I can add visuals and messaging as well, so should I use the original dvds, or rip them to MPG to play via the computer?

If I play the original DVDs via the laptop, which is the best way to do it, so that I only get full screen when it's playing via the projector?

Help!

Thanks

yes, check amazon for some really cheap greatest hits DVDs of bands like take that, sugababes, queen, abba, etc.

Best to rip the DVDs if you are using laptop.

Dvd's of the shelf are not licenced for public preformance where as promo only etc are.

Wouldn't suggest playing dvd straight from laptop is a good idea. if your just starting out with the idea i would suggest just a couple of run of the mill dvd players from your local supermarket.

If you find a market to support the idea then i would thin about more permanent equipment & possible computer use.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Richard Veal; 30-04-2008 at 05:32 PM.
    If you can't convince them, confuse them

You can buy a licence from VPL to enable you to play video. I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop, just ripping them to a suitable format to be able to use them with software on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You can buy a licence from VPL to enable you to play video. I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop, just ripping them to a suitable format to be able to use them with software on a laptop.
    Ok so will we be starting with LWP on this as well? I mean your licensed to use the dvd, but it doesn't state that you can change the format...

So........(Opens can of worms)
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

I use Promo Only DVD's.. i have the Mix Mash ones but i have found they get dmaged easily and they are on DVD-R discs and that they jump alot too... The ones that did that have been replaced but i always buy Promo Only now as they are very good quality and are at a good price too.

My advice is if you are starting out on video just get the classics on DVD for now and build the collection up as you go along as you can always itneract music into a DVD disco and use visuals on the screens when you are playing normal music.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnics View Post
    Ok so will we be starting with LWP on this as well? I mean your licensed to use the dvd, but it doesn't state that you can change the format...

So........(Opens can of worms)
    I've already mentioned it in the appropriate thread

I don't think anyone was suggesting playing DVDs from laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Impactdisco View Post
    If I play the original DVDs via the laptop, which is the best way to do it

Yes he did

If you are going to use a laptop, in my experience they really struggle to produce full screen at that resolution, As others have said you will ( again in my opinion) need to rip the dvd into a smaller more managable file. This will stop any stuttering in playback and potential pauses when searching for other tracks. But like i say i really would start simple and test the market first.

If i told you that in 1991 when i jumped to video i started out with a phillips cdi player (anyone remember them - still got mine) and 2 x 25" tvs you'll understand what i mean

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Veal View Post
    Yes he did

I took it to mean that he wanted to rip the DVD and then use them on a laptop.

I took it to mean that he wanted to rip the DVD and then use them on a laptop.
    Actually Solitaire is correct. That was what I meant. However, I may have not explained myself properly so it could have been taken both ways.