Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The new digital DJ licence

Default The new digital DJ licence

All of the other forums I visit seem to be in the midst of heated debate following the NADJ seminar on Sunday. Yet here there has been very little mention. Now obviously this effects us all directly, and wondered what everyone was thinking?

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

At 2.5p per track, it's very reasonable, and if the LWP had not existed / been involved, I think we would be looking at 10p to 20p per track and no recourse. My take on it after seeing the video is that almost everything is in place and they are just dotting the i's and crossing the t's and the last minute tweak.
    http://www.mikemooreentertainments.co.uk
    ...playing all the hits for you...
    ....wherever you may be .......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    At 2.5p per track, it's very reasonable
    If that's the case, I'm very impressed, as it will cost me less than £150, which is peanuts.

From what I'd heard, I was expecting it to be much closer to a four figure sum.

I'm also more pleased than ever that I have less than 6,000 tracks!

Boogie Boy

When push comes to shove, I'll be buying the licence, beacuse it will make me legal and I don't like doing anything unlawful. However, I'd be much happier if the MCPS was a government agency, rather than a limited company. Their sole purpose in life is to squeeze as much money as they can, out of whoever they can and in the past they have used very heavy handed tactics to make people conform.

Personally, I don't think the arguments surrounding musicians'/composers'intellectual property rights morally stack up, when inventors of a myriad other useful items, that have helped mankind enormously, in a highly tangible way can only obtain patent rights that may only last 20 years? and in effect have to be bought.

In 2006, MCPS/PRS alliance distributed something over £200 million to their 50,000 members and they'll continue doing so up to 75 years after the member's death (if their tunes still attract copyright payments). Quite frankly, all the MCPS has acheived over the years is to make it incredibly easy for mediocre musicians to make a ****ed good living, because the royalty payments are so high and they have been relatively efficient in collecting them. Hence the somewhat parlous state of the music scene today.
    Hundreds of boring bands filling hundreds of niche markets. Instead of uniting people, music is now segregating them into ever smaller music ghettos.

So far as the Digital Dubbing licence is concerned, I do feel that the MCPS is not addressing the single most worrying problem. That of free downloading via the internet and the lack of morals that is driving it. Most DJs, certainly ones who consider themselves professional will be using digital dubs of their own CD library in the most part. They've paid good money to buy CDs (or records) on which full MCPS copyright royalties would have been paid (approx 6.5% of retail price) by the manufacturer at time of initial release. When the copyright laws were origianlly drawn up, the digtal age was never envisaged, nor was the ability of normal everyday people to make any kind of recording of the recorded work. So, the copyright laws are completely and utterly out of date and non sensical in our modern age. Time shifting (video/HD recording) from the TV is commonplace and yet theoretically each and every one of us is guilty of committing a civil offence. Likewise dubbing onto computers/DVD/CD/minidisc/ipod/cassette tape/reel to reel tape of any music that we happen to like or need to use.

So, by all means levy 2.5 p on each track a DJ wishes to use, but at the same time levy something on every household that owns a computer/DVD recorder/CD recorder/iPod/cassette deck/VHS recorder etc etc. Of course they tried to introduce various levies at different times, but MPs, judging average sentiment to be against such levies, backed down on most occasions. By letting the average Joe get away with paying zilch, they've made a rod for their own backs that has manifested itself in almost anyone under the age of 25?30? thinking all music should be free.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Boy View Post
    So far as the Digital Dubbing licence is concerned, I do feel that the MCPS is not addressing the single most worrying problem. That of free downloading via the internet and the lack of morals that is driving it.
    That has nothing to do with the licence or the debate. Filesharing and piracy is dealt with by the BPI.

The MCPS is talking about a copying licence or format shifting. It is the physical act of copying a piece of music and being charged for it we are debating and this has nothing to do with downloading illegally.

So if i understand correctly if you bought all your songs from napster you would have no need for this as its just a dubbing licence?

Rob, I think you buy the license "In Blocks", so £250.00, will buy you 10,000. Also remember, it includes VAT, so if your VAT registered, you can claim that back.
    I'm sure Phil will come along and give an expert breakdown.

DJWayne, As I understand it, you will only need the license if you "COPY" the song to somewhere else or change the format.
    Last edited by mikeee; 30-04-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    http://www.mikemooreentertainments.co.uk
    ...playing all the hits for you...
    ....wherever you may be .......

Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    Rob, I think you buy the license "In Blocks", so £250.00, will buy you 10,000. Also remember, it includes VAT, so if your VAT registered, you can claim that back.
    I'm sure Phil will come along and give an expert breakdown.
    Thanks for that, Mike.

I don't earn enough to be VAT registered, but even £250 is still only about a third of what I was expecting to have to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by DJWayne View Post
    So if i understand correctly if you bought all your songs from napster you would have no need for this as its just a dubbing licence?
    If you keep them in the format they came from Napster in the first place (WMA I think)
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by DJWayne View Post
    Correct.