Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: The new digital DJ licence

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    What was achieved Theo and what were you negotiating?
    The original PRS mobile dj licence for unlicenced premises and occasional events and we helped to make what is and was a fairly uneccessary dj licence at least clear.
    With PPL we lobbied for the abolition of the requirement to employ live musicians in any club where a PPL licence was issued and I feel sure we contributed to the eventual abolition of this restrictive cause. In the 70's the MU hated discos and launched their "keep music live campaign" which seeked to destroy discos altogether. DJF countered with our "Hire a live dj not a deadbeat musician" campaign.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Would this cover it.

Lets say I download a song from a legal site. Lets say I move, not copy the original file to another HD for example. Would this still require a licence as you are not copying the downloaded file or burnng it to a cd, just moving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Boy View Post
    When push comes to shove, I'll be buying the licence, beacuse it will make me legal and I don't like doing anything unlawful. However, I'd be much happier if the MCPS was a government agency, rather than a limited company.

One of my DJ's pointed that out at the show after asking a very good question. He has been a audio technician for years and has had to deal with them many times. Again i will by one as im going completely digital this week

Does make you wonder though if someone has sat down at a board meeting several years ago and asked:

"how can we make more money off this new digital download thingy?"
    Last edited by yourdj; 12-05-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Would this cover it.

Lets say I download a song from a legal site. Lets say I move, not copy the original file to another HD for example. Would this still require a licence as you are not copying the downloaded file or burnng it to a cd, just moving it.
    Providing you only had the 1 file, you'd be OK. DRM may have something to say, you'd have to be faffing about authorising another PC, unless it's just another HD on the same PC, in which case no worries.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

One of my DJ's pointed that out at the show after asking a very good question. He has been a audio technician for years and has had to deal with them many times. Again i will by one as im going completely digital this week

Does make you wonder though if someone has sat down at a board meeting several years ago and asked:

"how can we make more money off this new digital download thingy?"

Appologies for double post

You're slightly off the mark there with your last comment. With digital downloads you're actually less likely to need the DDJ license. It's only if you copy said download. With CD/record ripping, you are making a copy however you look at it.

E.G.
    If you were to buy DL's on a laptop with iTunes, then playout said songs on the same laptop through iTunes, you wouldn't need the license.
    Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

Ok guys, sorry to bring this up but I just need to check somthing.

I know this licence is about copying a cd to another format like HD but under the licence does it allow me to make a copy of my original CD to use as backup at a gig if required???

Ok guys, sorry to bring this up but I just need to check somthing.

I know this licence is about copying a cd to another format like HD but under the licence does it allow me to make a copy of my original CD to use as backup at a gig if required???
    The licence isn't about that - it is any format to any format. (as long as they agree to the proposals)

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    The licence isn't about that - it is any format to any format. (as long as they agree to the proposals)

Ok. So what ever I copy I would be covered

Ok. So what ever I copy I would be covered
    If they agree to the proposals, yes.

Ok. Thank you for clearing that up. I know this is not final but its somthing for me to get my head around equipment wise. Thanks.