Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended microphones

ppentertainments

Agree !!!
    Can take me ages sometimes to get speakers positioned correctly and settings adjusted.
    A feedback eliminator was mentioned by Daz which is a good idea but you may find it not suitable for karaoke. They eliminate certain frequencies but can eliminate a lot of frequencies used by singers. I must admit to only having used one twice so futher research could be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraokeDJ View Post
    Thanks for that "Boogie Boy". You've clarified a few good points which, in addition to previous posts, suggest it's probably not a need to buy new microphones but tweak the audio - saving me some hard earned cash!

Thanks.
    Depends how much eq you have to play with.

If your struggling with sound in venues I would say you need minimum three band on your microphone mixer channel i.e. bass, middle and treble.

Its true that if your not careful you eq out clarity--

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I have gone the other rounte completely and bought UHF PG58 radio mics for karaoke. I can highly recommend the leaded PG58s though which can be bought for between £30-£40 each.
    The Wireless UHF58s may be a little expensive for some just starting out in karaoke but the leaded versions are decent mics. I actually use the lesser PG48s and they've done me well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirits High View Post
    I use a pair of VHF Kam radio mics, getting on a bit now but for Karaoke under the circumstances you've mentioned I find them ok.
    Not a bad choice but VHF are prone to dropping the signal occasionally. It would be a better choice, when choosing wireless, to go for the UHF versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Whitehouse View Post
    I use the Sennheiser 835s. After about 6 years on the road, they are battered, but still going strong.
    I use a Sennheiser and have done since I started. I do find, however, that they don't like to be anywhere near an SM58 (or maybe it's the other way round) and cause feedback. Nothing that can't be fixed by a few mixer tweaks though.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I use a Sennheiser and have done since I started. I do find, however, that they don't like to be anywhere near an SM58 (or maybe it's the other way round) and cause feedback. Nothing that can't be fixed by a few mixer tweaks though.
    What 'tweaks' can eliminate the problem we get from mics too close together?
    I know it's hard to put a specific number on the levels as every situation is different, but if you can point out some suggestions it would be appreciated as I think its a problem experienced by most of us from time to time.

Thanks.
    Martin

STARFLY DISCO
    Mobile Disco for Weddings, Private Parties, Charity & Community Events and Corporate Functions in Lincolnshire, North East & North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland (Leicestershire).

Hi,

I use a pair of Kam 1940 UHF Wireless Mics, great sound and 16 channels. I don't tend to get any feed back, just a case of positioning your speakers far enough away from the singer, also use of the Gain control on your mixer etc.,
    These have been dropped a couple of times and so far have survived, although I panic everytime and let the punter know! (Why do they have to throw them up in the air, juggle etc with them!)

For the drunks and dodgy looking punters I have 2 cheap Newmark WM200 wired mics which cost me approx £20 (the pair) off of ebay, these sound remarkably good for the cheapness.

Microphones are a minefield, a local Karaoke I go to had a prosound wireless set from Maplin, cost approx £99, but sound really awful.

Of course the Shure mics are the best, but this is Karaoke, and you don't really have to spend £500 on mics!

Cheers

Sarah

It dosen't matter how good the microphones are it's not going to help many of my local karaoke singers
    UltraBeat Entertainment
    Mobile Disco And Karaoke For All Occasions
    www.ultrabeatentertainment.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by KaraokeDJ View Post
    What 'tweaks' can eliminate the problem we get from mics too close together?
    I know it's hard to put a specific number on the levels as every situation is different, but if you can point out some suggestions it would be appreciated as I think its a problem experienced by most of us from time to time.

Thanks.
    I find the easiest tweak is to reduce the reverb/echo level. This doesn't cure the problem completely but it does help.

Also, lowering the mic gains slightly can give positive results.

Like you say every situation is different as the acoustics in every venue is different. It's just a case of trying it out when soundchecking and setting your levels then but be prepared to tweak them during the show.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I find the easiest tweak is to reduce the reverb/echo level. This doesn't cure the problem completely but it does help.

Also, lowering the mic gains slightly can give positive results.
    Thanks again. I hadn't actually thought of the reverb. I don't use a lot but will certainly give it a tweak tonight. With the gains, I have got into the habit of leaving them relatively low and letting the amp do the work which I find is better than forcing more from the mics.
    Martin

STARFLY DISCO
    Mobile Disco for Weddings, Private Parties, Charity & Community Events and Corporate Functions in Lincolnshire, North East & North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Cambridgeshire, Rutland (Leicestershire).

You guys will probably laugh at me for this, but here we go...

I have been doing weekly Karaoke every week for two and a half years now, I've had the good, the bad and the ugly, and thats just the punters!

Generally, the mics are abused, dropped (spun round and not caught most of the time) spat on, juggled, etc etc. Generally ruined! To this end I thought it pointless spending heaps of money on quality equipment for the local beer-tards to wreck.

They get Crage c-325 wireless mics now, hardly top of the range, but more than adequet for what I need them for. £25 a pair, delivered. for that price, mics are disposable in my eyes and I don't cry as much when they get destroyed! They're not actually that bad really. They can be a little hard to work with at times for the quiet singers, but a little education in how to hold the mic and such like tends to sort that out. Its generally not a problem when we've got the Sid Vicious wannabe singing, or rather screaming "God Save The Queen" down the mic! Hi / Mid / Lo on your mic input is essential though, although each mic has its own variable volume, which is handy for duets.

I do keep a quality radio mic with me though, as I do have some exceptional talent performing in some of my venues, so I don't mind pushing the boat out a little for them, as they are probably the people who keep me going through the normal dross.

Behringer triple pack, good mics for the money.