Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard drive problem's

Default Hard drive problem's

OK just been trying to configure my hard drives...i have 1 Freecom 250 and 2 Maxtors 500.

The Freecom will work on the Denon, Cortex and laptop.
    The Maxtor's will only work on the laptop....it will not work with the Denon or Cortex.......

Do i need to do something with the Maxtror hard drive's??....all the latest firmware i have installed on each hard drive so they can read across .........

Any thoughts.....

Thank you.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Is the drive formatted Fat32 or NTFS Tony?

I know the Denon only uses one format - can't remember which one at this current moment though...

FAT Will allow the device to write to the hard drive while NTFS will be read only. Som players only FAT. Some like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Is the drive formatted Fat32 or NTFS Tony?

I know the Denon only uses one format - can't remember which one at this current moment though...
    Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    FAT Will allow the device to write to the hard drive while NTFS will be read only. Som players only FAT. Some like both.
    NTFS......oh balls....does that mean i've bought the wrong hard drives.....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

why on earth did you get maxtor Tone when the Freecoms work so well for you ?

is there not a way to reformat it to the configuration you need??? it will mean i think that you will need to transfer all your music again but saves you shelling out for another hard drive ... if it is possible.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Just checked, your drive will need to be Fat32. NTFS doesn't work with he Denon.

You can use your laptop to reformat them in either fat32 or ntfs

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    why on earth did you get maxtor Tone when the Freecoms work so well for you ?

is there not a way to reformat it to the configuration you need??? it will mean i think that you will need to transfer all your music again but saves you shelling out for another hard drive ... if it is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Just checked, your drive will need to be Fat32. NTFS doesn't work with he Denon.
    OK cheers guys...

I'll keep one for the laptop.......and buy another Freecom........

I take it ....if i keep the main music on my Maxtor.....it should read across on the other hard drives as FAT files then.....so the main one for the laptop should hold all the music files .....or am i wrong??

Edit..
    Quote Originally Posted by djgordyp View Post
    You can use your laptop to reformat them in either fat32 or ntfs
    How?

Errr can't remember

Seriously, Right click on the drive and you should have the option to format it. The next box that opens should give you the option to change the file system. If it says NTFS then click on the down arrow to select FAT32. I would leave everyting else as it is unless you want to give the drive a name.
    That's how it is on XP anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    NTFS......oh balls....does that mean i've bought the wrong hard drives.....
    A pc should allow you to format the HD in the way you wish. My problem is the reverse, I'd like to go NTFS to FAT, and in the Cortex forum ( and somewhere else) there's a link to a free programme to do it. Yours is the easy way, but don't ask me how! (Actually it's got to be how Callum showed me. )

Edit: Post above sounds pretty close, you won't need to buy another HD.