Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard drive problem's

I thought when you format a HD you get a choice of either FAT16/32 or NTFS?

Not on my pc anyway. Just NTFS or FAT32

Quote Originally Posted by djgordyp View Post
    Errr can't remember

Seriously, Right click on the drive and you should have the option to format it. The next box that opens should give you the option to change the file system. If it says NTFS then click on the down arrow to select FAT32. I would leave everyting else as it is unless you want to give the drive a name.
    That's how it is on XP anyway.
    Did that not a chance.......NTFS and that's it......

Ah well nevermind....might be cheeky and take them back......
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Did that not a chance.......NTFS and that's it......

Ah well nevermind....might be cheeky and take them back......
    Ask Callum!
    Anyway, as one of my tutors in this digital lark, how come I'm giving you advice?

Edit: Oops, my mistake. Look on the Cortex forum, you're trying to go the same way as me. (NTFS to FAT? )

Here's the post

http://www.cortex-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=816
    Last edited by Excalibur; 11-05-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Hmm this thread has got me thinking! I dont think you will be seeing me for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    I thought when you format a HD you get a choice of either FAT16/32 or NTFS?
    When you buy an external drive nowadays, they are pre-formatted - usually to the FAT32 filing system because (I think it's this way round) FAT32 offers true plug and play capability whereas with NTFS, you need to choose "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging. Something to do with NTFS continually writing to a drive - even when you've just read the drive it updates it drive records by writing to it. I'm no expert but I was reading this just a few days ago. The expert (in PC Advisor) said that NTFS is not much good for portable drives due to the way the filing system works. NTFS records the owner of a file which may prevent it being accessed from another PC/device other than that it was originally created on.

I have two Maxtor Basics 500GB drives. The first one was a breeze in setting up. Got it partitioned in to two drives pretty easily. The new one, although just updated from the older model (ie - it's in a new, smaller sleek-black case) refuses to be partioned and I've no idea why. I've been told a few suggestions but I might just leave it as one big drive for music and leave the admin files on the PC.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    When you buy an external drive nowadays, they are pre-formatted - usually to the FAT32 filing system because (I think it's this way round) FAT32 offers true plug and play capability whereas with NTFS, you need to choose "Safely Remove Hardware" before unplugging. Something to do with NTFS continually writing to a drive - even when you've just read the drive it updates it drive records by writing to it. I'm no expert but I was reading this just a few days ago. The expert (in PC Advisor) said that NTFS is not much good for portable drives due to the way the filing system works. NTFS records the owner of a file which may prevent it being accessed from another PC/device other than that it was originally created on.

I have two Maxtor Basics 500GB drives. The first one was a breeze in setting up. Got it partitioned in to two drives pretty easily. The new one, although just updated from the older model (ie - it's in a new, smaller sleek-black case) refuses to be partioned and I've no idea why. I've been told a few suggestions but I might just leave it as one big drive for music and leave the admin files on the PC.
    Oh crap! Guess what I've just bought?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Oh crap! Guess what I've just bought?
    Peter these are the one's i've got.....double...
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Youse should be ok. Hes wanting to make one hard drive into two. IE the PC sees two hard drives but phisicaly there is only one.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Peter these are the one's i've got.....double...
    And I bet I know where you got'em! I won't tell if you don't.