Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern R+B

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Boy View Post
    As someone who championed early Rap and Hip Hop back in the late '70s/early '80s I ought to really be into the current R&B stuff,
    Why? They are 2 very different animals.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

As someone who championed early Rap and Hip Hop back in the late '70s/early '80s I ought to really be into the current R&B stuff, BUT too much of it is boring and samey, IMO. Add to that the fact that much of it has 'tricky' beats and you have a recipe for disaster if you don't know the genre.

One of my faves from the past few years was Christina Milian feat. Joe Budden Whatever U Want which has such a ferocious groove and 'dances' much better than its 102.5 BPM suggests.

I'm waiting for someone to inform me that this track isn't R&B.
    Boogie boy, completely agree with you! This track is a stomper for sure and I always play it at gigs. even if people dont recognise it, the beat is so infectious they dont seem to actually care!
    DISCO DOCTOR - THE CURE FOR YOUR PARTY'S NEEDS!!

Moderator at www.ww2talk.com

Boogie Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    Why? They are 2 very different animals.
    I would have thought the link was obvious.

ppentertainments

Showing my naivety here but what does R&B stand for in this modern day.

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

Ryhmes and Beats I think, though I've head other alternatives...
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

I would have thought the link was obvious.
    Only in as much as there is a link between a Wolf & a Chihuahua

Afrika Bambaataa, the Sugar Hill Gang & Grandmaster Flash etc are linked to Kanye West etc, but the resemblance is very minimal.
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Boogie Boy

Only in as much as there is a link between a Wolf & a Chihuahua

Afrika Bambaataa, the Sugar Hill Gang & Grandmaster Flash etc are linked to Kanye West etc, but the resemblance is very minimal.
    Without those tracks there wouldn't be any modern day R&B, so the link is less tenuous than one might imagine, especially to this someone who wasn't barely in his teens when it all kicked off. If there's very little to link the two, how come sooo many of the modern day R&B guys have pillaged so many grooves from BITD to anchor their toons?

Maybe you're one of the few guys who can't see a link between original Disco and House too?

Is your real name Clifford?

One could say if there wasn't any slaves singing spirituals in the cotton fields there wouldn't be any modern R&B. Where does it end????

Boogie Boy

Is your real name Clifford?

One could say if there wasn't any slaves singing spirituals in the cotton fields there wouldn't be any modern R&B. Where does it end????
    I don't hear many spirituals being raped and pillaged for the latest R&B tune, BUT I do hear samples from the early Rap, Funk and Hip Hop/Electro eras. If there were none being used I'd agree with you 100%, BUT they are (and they're getting much more clever at disguising them).