Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ Comp

Default DJ Comp

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one to let you know about a DJ competition running in the North East Next Month. Decksfactor is a chance to win £100 of iTunes Credit, £100 of Club 18-30 Holiday Vouchers and £100 of Credit @ DJkit.co.uk. The winner will get a tour of venues which have taken part in the heats, as well as the chance to secure on-going residencies. I think its a fair old package TBF.

For more info visit www.decksfactor.com

This is bar-based, with all the gear provided. Turn up and DJ pretty much, as will be the winner's package. Maybe not for those who have secured bookings in the next few months, but worth a punt for anyone looking to get back into regular pub work or for new DJs wanting that crucial break through.

Note to Mods - If this is against the rules, sorry and feel free to remove. I'll owe you a and pipe down LOL

Looks OK to me....
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

this bit says it all

No Laptops, we want DJs, not play list managers!

once you have loaded the media they insist on CD for this competition what you do with it is exactly the same with either a CD player or a laptop. Just shows why people have the attitude they have towards digital DJ's

Quote Originally Posted by DJWayne View Post
    this bit says it all

No Laptops, we want DJs, not play list managers!

once you have loaded the media they insist on CD for this competition what you do with it is exactly the same with either a CD player or a laptop. Just shows why people have the attitude they have towards digital DJ's
    The reason it stipulates "no laptops" and actually "no vinyl" is because the target venues aren’t setup to accommodate either and the competition is a mechanism for getting new DJs into those venues and on the books.

In any competition, it is imperative to set clear rules and create a level playing field for all who wish to enter. If we allowed so-called "digital DJs", then it could degrade into a competition over who has the best software/hardware, or best knowledge of their chosen package, which does not lend itself well to what we want to achieve, not to mention the many "features" which come as standard with DJ software, which could give an unfair advantage to any "digital DJ" competing against a CD-based DJ.

Stipulating no laptops or vinyl is part of that construct and is a means to an end, as such, if you don’t like it, then you don't have to enter.

If people are really a quality Djs with talent, then they should be able to DJ using any format (within scope) and simply turning one's nose up at a contest because it doesn’t allow you to use a laptop is narrow-minded and flippant (IMHO).

I would be happy to debate "digital DJs" and any "attitude" I or others may have towards them, but that is for another thread in another section. It would actually make an interesting debate as there is obvious ill-feeling between the two and I would be interested to hear people's views/comments on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeetabix View Post
    If we allowed so-called "digital DJs", then it could degrade into a competition over who has the best software/hardware, or best knowledge of their chosen package
    What complete toss.

You really think that someone who can mix and has a good knowledge of theor chosen software would use automix or whatever to use in the competition?

There is no difference between using CDs and Mp3s in these circumstances - the hardware can all do the same thing, so where's the difference?

It's people's biased views of laptop/PC DJs again, which is completely wrong as usual.

Sam

Another thing to point out... the prize is pants.
    £100 with 18 - 30 = crap.. as you would still have to pay at least another 200 - 400 (depending on how much you want to spend) to actually get the holiday. etc etc.

AND instead of having to compete with lots of other DJs.. I will just go and do a real gig.. and earn the same amount.. which will go straight into my bank account - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    What complete toss.

You really think that someone who can mix and has a good knowledge of theor chosen software would use automix or whatever to use in the competition?

There is no difference between using CDs and Mp3s in these circumstances - the hardware can all do the same thing, so where's the difference?

It's people's biased views of laptop/PC DJs again, which is completely wrong as usual.
    You have missed my point completely…

Its the fact that they have the "option" of automix available to them which causes the problem in terms of a competition, not how they use the software, or their skills/ability in terms of music choice/mixing. The audience can’t see what they are doing and there may be a "perception" of automix being used. The audience are the ones voting on the winner, not the organisers. Stipulating a CD only format is key to maintaining a level playing field. We could have stipulated Vinyl only, or Laptop only, or a mix of all three, but that would not suit the target venues, so would be pointless.

I have not suggested anywhere in this string that a Digital DJ would use Automix in order to gain an advantage or that they need to in order to be a good DJ, I am simply trying to explain WHY its a CD only format.

Think of 2 kids doing a math's exam. Kid A has pen and paper, Kid B has Pen, Paper and calculator. Both kids use exactly the same method to work out the sums, use the same technique and have a similar IQ, but which do you think has a "perceived advantage" to the examiner? This is my point…

Again, I am happy to debate the finer points of the apparent "format war" in another string on the forum. I am quite astonished to have gotten such a negative reaction form a forum which is intended to help and encourage DJs in their work and ventures. Any debate on format should be kept constructive and relevant. Make your point by debating and explaining your point, but not by way of dismissing other’s opinions, or perceived opinions as “toss” if you disagree.

The politicians do that in parliament and look at the state of the country!

Lets be civil people. Format, broadly speaking, is irrelevant. We are entertainers and our purpose is to entertain, no matter how we achieve it. Its horses for courses and I am sure we all work **** hard to keep our clients happy. I have no lament for any DJ on this forum and I have nothing but respect Guys.

Peace out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Another thing to point out... the prize is pants.
    £100 with 18 - 30 = crap.. as you would still have to pay at least another 200 - 400 (depending on how much you want to spend) to actually get the holiday. etc etc.

AND instead of having to compete with lots of other DJs.. I will just go and do a real gig.. and earn the same amount.. which will go straight into my bank account - thanks!
    If you don't have anything positive to say, why bother. Its annoying you actually took the time to shoot down someone you don't know and have never spoken to before, so yeah, thanks for that Sam. Appreciated.

Thanks for the input. Enjoy your gig.
    Last edited by Penfold42; 20-05-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeetabix View Post
    You have missed my point completely…

Its the fact that they have the "option" of automix available to them which causes the problem in terms of a competition, not how they use the software, or their skills/ability in terms of music choice/mixing. The audience can’t see what they are doing and there may be a "perception" of automix being used. The audience are the ones voting on the winner, not the organisers. Stipulating a CD only format is key to maintaining a level playing field. We could have stipulated Vinyl only, or Laptop only, or a mix of all three, but that would not suit the target venues, so would be pointless.

I have not suggested anywhere in this string that a Digital DJ would use Automix in order to gain an advantage or that they need to in order to be a good DJ, I am simply trying to explain WHY its a CD only format.

:
    Firstly the automix on DJ software in my opinion is only good for background music under performance conmditions it just don't cut it and and a DJ with half a clue knows this. Secondly the software doesnt choose the music for you or interact with the crowd so the skill lies with the DJ not the software.

The perception of automix being used would lie with the judges and the other non-digital DJ's that think that if you use a laptop you are not a "proper DJ".

Had this argument years back when i switched to CD and all the vinyl faithful said "proper DJ's" use vinyl now its going around again with CD and digital.

Am going to agree with Darren 100% what a load of toss

Quote Originally Posted by DJWayne View Post
    Firstly the automix on DJ software in my opinion is only good for background music under performance conmditions it just don't cut it and and a DJ with half a clue knows this. Secondly the software doesnt choose the music for you or interact with the crowd so the skill lies with the DJ not the software.

The perception of automix being used would lie with the judges and the other non-digital DJ's that think that if you use a laptop you are not a "proper DJ".

Had this argument years back when i switched to CD and all the vinyl faithful said "proper DJ's" use vinyl now its going around again with CD and digital.

Am going to agree with Darren 100% what a load of toss
    Sigh...never used the term "proper dj" once during the string. Look, those are the rules, like it or lump it. I'm done with this. I have made my feelings known on "digital djs" in the appropriate string on the fourm, if you still wanna tear strips of me after that, feel free.

Digital, Vinyl, CD, whatever, I don't care. Play the flute with ur backside for all it matters, if your crowd love it, good on ya. No need to be so touchy over the whole subject, You get paid to do it your way, I get paid to do it mine and we both enjoy it. Lets have a beer and chill out. You know I love you really...

Mods, any chance of capping this string? its somewhat off-topic now and is becoming less than constructive. Fair play if you dont want to. Its your house and your rules. I'll pick up my ball and go...