Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hi there - Low Budget Startup

Sam

Ps. No free upgrades for you lot when i'm flying

Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by welby View Post
    Hi there,

can I just say what prompted me to join is the way that you share information. I just love the gallery and looking at some of the mobile setups. Some absolutley amazing! 10/10 to all the peeps that take the time to post.

About me: well I am an old dj of years-gone-buy (old Fart). I was a semi-pro drummer and part-time DJ for my sins. I now have a chance at the ripe old age of 51 to get back into doing something that I like doing immensely and that is dj'ing. Hey I still love my house and funk, not to mention the Northern Soul! lol

Seriously though, it's a service that myself and friend have thought about for a long time. We will hopefully be offering a whole complete Corporate/Wedding package comprising of a full Band, doing 60s through to present day, an Eagles and Dire Straites tribute band, Classical Guitarist, and a Mobile Disco. We also have a small recording studio and will be offering backing tracks for sale.

Anway more to the point I was looking for some advice on the Basic Mobile Disco.

I would like to go down the digital route. Brave I know!!! So below I have listed a basic startup system that I could possibly build on.

I would welcome any constructive comments as to the kit or could make sensible recommendations to get the best out of the kit and obviously at the best price. I have tried to keep the spec to have a portable system , keeping it as light as possible. Obviously I will have to get backup kit (just in case) so a recommendation wouldn't go amiss there also.

My proposed budget is approximately £1200 - tight I know but we all have to start somewhere!

My Proposed kit list comprises of:

DIGITAL CONTROLLER
    CORTEX HDC 3000 = £339
    OR
    CORTEX HDC 1000 = £199

SOUND PA/SPEAKERS
    BEHRINGER B300 ACTIVE = £435 PAIR
    OR
    PSR-15 ACTIVE = £449

MIXER
    NUMARK CM200 USB = £179

DJ BOOTH
    PROLIGHT DJ BOOTH KIT INCLUDES 4FT GOAL POSTS = £198

FLIGHT CASE
    FLIGHT CASE FOR CONTROLLER AND MIXER = £42

LIGHTING
    Double Red Double Green Laser Show = £149
    Plus 2 other LEDs (help?)

And did I mention offering karaoke as well? lol oh well thats for another day!

and if there are any recomendations on suppliers who give a nice discount on this lot it would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance and look forward to any replies.

Mark
    Welcome young man!

Go with Darren's advice re lights.
    Controller? I have the 1000,( and like it a lot so far ), some on here would recommend Numark D2. I'd try both if you could, personal choice seems to me to make a lot of difference here.

Active speakers ? Sorry, not my field, but I think the PSR's are popular.
    Mixer ? The Numark is one which I considered, Vectis uses one and rates it highly. Do bear in mind that you don't need USB inputs for the Cortex ( and probably Numark I assume ). Or do you have a laptop in this cunning plan?
    Good luck.

hi & welcome, i would recomend a sub-woofer to be added to your kit list.
    "Flexability - versatility and a sat-nav !!"

BeatRoute Mobile Disco & Karaoke covering Sunderland, Durham, & Tyne and wear areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Welcome young man!

Go with Darren's advice re lights.
    Controller? I have the 1000,( and like it a lot so far ), some on here would recommend Numark D2. I'd try both if you could, personal choice seems to me to make a lot of difference here.

Active speakers ? Sorry, not my field, but I think the PSR's are popular.
    Mixer ? The Numark is one which I considered, Vectis uses one and rates it highly. Do bear in mind that you don't need USB inputs for the Cortex ( and probably Numark I assume ). Or do you have a laptop in this cunning plan?
    Good luck.
    Hi All - thanks for your comments - most welcome.

The way forward is HDC1000 by the sound of it.

Forget the lasers!

Re-visit the lasers and lights.

PSR-15A active is the way forward.

Numark Mixer has a usb socket - chose this as, yes I will be introducing a laptop for Karaoke and mp3s - possibly using Swift Software (Stable and uses less memory)

The main sticking point is the lighting issues. I guess it falls into three areas:

1. dancefloor
    2. backlight
    3. wow factor

Suggestions welcome on the 3 categories?

I must admit I like the idea of a mirror ball as these are relatively cheap and have the benefit of giving a great effect.

I don't wanna go "willy waving" about the lights - I have always believed in keeping things nice and simple - but effective. Put it this way I have never had any complaints! lol

Thanks Again.

Quote Originally Posted by axeman View Post
    hi & welcome, i would recomend a sub-woofer to be added to your kit list.
    Hi - thanks for the recommendation.

A sub-woofer is on the list but after I have got some gigs under my belt first.

Im on a tight budget, hopefully starting small and building the kit up as I go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welby View Post
    The main sticking point is the lighting issues. I guess it falls into three areas:

1. dancefloor
    2. backlight
    3. wow factor
    Seeing as budget is limited at the moment I'd disregard backlighting, it's not essential. I highly recommend getting an Acme ImpossibLED (or 2) for the dance floor. 2 linked will give you a huge amount of light output and it looks great too.

For the wow factor you could save up and add a couple of budget moving heads, or perhaps a nebula laser. There's a few people on the forum that use them pointing to the ceiling....they seem to get a lot of favourable comments about them.

Best of luck.

I have a couple of images somewhere of my smallest rig (2 impossibLEDs and 2 moving heads)...I'll try dig them out for you.

Edit: Here you go...

Here’s a picture of the light output from just two ImpossiLED’s

Here’s the light output on the dance-floor with just 2 impossiLED’s

A couple of impossibLED’s and a couple of moving heads

Last edited by Shaun; 05-06-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Wow!

Those pictures look fantastic!

I really would like some moving heads

Quote Originally Posted by OllieJames View Post
    I really would like some moving heads
    You can get them for under £220 these days. Wait a little while longer and I can see the price dropping further still once LED moving heads become the norm'

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    You can get them for under £220 these days. Wait a little while longer and I can see the price dropping further still once LED moving heads become the norm'
    I hope they never take on in the theatre.. hate them

You can also pick up great buys on Ebay now and again