Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Equipment Help !

501damian501

personally myself if your going to do a job you might aswell do it right, theirs no point having dmx compatiable lights if your not going to use them to their full potential, having scanners is the way forward but having too many will be off putting and with an booking for an 18th already in i think the dmx lights will be right up my street. as for amps are c mark any good, my friend recommed the amp for me, hes got one and never had any problems with his, many thanks damian

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Is this the same lighting that you were saying is the least important thing for a DJ?
    Lighting is the least important thing for a DJ. It doesn't mean I don't love and use it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 501damian501 View Post
    personally myself if your going to do a job you might aswell do it right, theirs no point having dmx compatiable lights if your not going to use them to their full potential, having scanners is the way forward but having too many will be off putting and with an booking for an 18th already in i think the dmx lights will be right up my street. as for amps are c mark any good, my friend recommed the amp for me, hes got one and never had any problems with his, many thanks damian
    I agree with what you are saying but how can you controll a full dmx show as well as DJ'ing???

I do the music side of things and I have taught my roadie how to use my dmx controller and he uses that for the night. No pre made shows at all. I think it looks better if you see someone actually taking part in the light show instead of lettting them go sound to light.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    I agree with what you are saying but how can you controll a full dmx show as well as DJ'ing???

I do the music side of things and I have taught my roadie how to use my dmx controller and he uses that for the night. No pre made shows at all. I think it looks better if you see someone actually taking part in the light show instead of lettting them go sound to light.

Just my opinion.
    I thought all DMX shows had to be pre-made? Surely it is difficult to do something like that on the fly?

I thought all DMX shows had to be pre-made? Surely it is difficult to do something like that on the fly?
    I don't much about this but my roadie uses the sliders and controls the scanner "on the fly". I use the dynamo with only 4 channels so it's not so bad compared to the moving heads with 16 channels. That could be hard.

It's either him doing that or sitting there saying he is bored. The only thing we do have pre-set is a few scenes where we need to fill a room with light or spot a light for example.

It is possible to do it on the fly, it's just not as good as a pre-made show. I think most DMX controllers have pre-set 'movement' options (the 2 I've owned have both had them). So you can specify which colours and gobos etc you want, then pick one of the preset movement options to work alongside the other options you've specified.

There's also the little joystick that allows you to move the fixture beams anywhere you want.
    Last edited by Shaun; 06-06-2008 at 12:06 AM.

501damian501

on the nights which i need the lighting show in full swing, i shall have sumone with me to operate it, other times i will just have them on sound to light,people hear audio every day of their lives how good or how bad but people dont see a dmx lighting show in full swing everyday.reguards damian

As for amps are c mark any good, my friend recommed the amp for me, hes got one and never had any problems with his, many thanks damian
    I have a C Mark Amp, although only had it a few months, never had any probs. I also use Class-D speakers after a LOT of discussions with other forum members. I eventually bought this lot for £650 after a visit to the shop:-

http://www.class-d.com/Product.aspx?PRO=578 <-- actually I got the JAC12's but I cannot find them on the class-d website

http://www.class-d.com/Product.aspx?PRO=534

http://www.class-d.com/Product.aspx?PRO=554

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/C-Mark-Pro-Pow...QQcmdZViewItem

I got this amp from Class-d although, again, they don't advertise it on the web-site.

They'll also chuck in all leads as well if you ask them nicely (and plead poverty as I did)

my idea of lighting is too have multi effects to give that sorta disco feel but then use my scanners to give a nightclub feel for the local youth birthday parties lol, i think just having scanners would bore the public.
    i'm not saying only have scanners but i dont think the extra 2 heads are that much more expensive.

even so, with the gear you are looking at, i think scanners and 1/2 led effects would be more than adequate for most events.

STANDS…

lighting stand Prolight wind up
    Speaker Stands and carry bag
    ULTIMAX PROSTAND - DECKSTAND
    Can i just say you can't go wrong with an Ultimax stand in my eyes. they seem to really be the dogs . Top man

yeh i am already a working dj, but i dont have experiance of working with dmx lighting or behringer mixing desks
    Sorry to be a bit negative but I've heard a few bad reports about the behringer range of products. How are you finding them?

i was going to put in one of them ca8 controllers and put the rest towards another light
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. I really think the CA-8 is a really crap and pointless controller. I'm using 2 at the moment but never wire them up. And they always put miles of bloody cable on them and all you need is a meter or two. I'm not gigging in the bliming Albert hall for god sake!

Anyway....

obviously sound is the most important thing but the look of your show and lighting is important i believe. The first impression can determine the rest of the night and how often do you get people walk in and say: "Wow. that sounds really good". I find they usually say "oh no. not you again"

I'm still to learn the art of DMX so I'll leave that bit to the experts
    UltraBeat Entertainment
    Mobile Disco And Karaoke For All Occasions
    www.ultrabeatentertainment.co.uk