Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microphone mixers for Karaoke

Thanks for the continuing advice.

I have been on the hunt, but can only find bits of kit that are too simple (see Maplins website...literally 4 inputs, 1 output, 4 volume knobs for a tenner or so) or needlessly complex and suitable to mic up an orchestra.

Do you have any ideas of how else I can get round this...we have 1 mic input, and need, ideally, 3 mics that need levelling and where possible, a bit of eqing etc.

I would use XLRs, would just mean investing in 3 xlr mics as our current is jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Actually it has more Dazzy - have another look! Yeah, if you only need 2 mic channels that would be fine. The faders have switches for mic or line and eq for every channel as well as assignable FX. I have one I use for karaoke and it's very simple to use and has everything you need as long as you are using 2 mic channels or are prepared to sacrifice one music channel, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if you are jst doing karaoke.
    My apologies, Darren, didn't read the review properly. I saw it said "5 inputs plus mic" and didn't realise that under that it said "5 mic inputs" (bit confusing that review - if you're me anyway!)

For pro karaoke I just use a powered mixer with 10 mic inputs each with variable EQ, levels and FX. I like to keep things simple (like me!)
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Boogie Boy

If you just need a small microphone mixer, you can't go far wrong with any of them from any of the major brands that do 'em. They'll all do a good enough job, but £100 isn't going to buy you anything other than a basic mixer.

Would something like http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1715 be what you're after?

Or maybe this?
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/s...roduct_id/8541
    Last edited by Boogie Boy; 11-06-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Thanks for the continuing advice.

I have been on the hunt, but can only find bits of kit that are too simple (see Maplins website...literally 4 inputs, 1 output, 4 volume knobs for a tenner or so) or needlessly complex and suitable to mic up an orchestra.

Do you have any ideas of how else I can get round this...we have 1 mic input, and need, ideally, 3 mics that need levelling and where possible, a bit of eqing etc.

I would use XLRs, would just mean investing in 3 xlr mics as our current is jack.
    You could try using duo radio mic set. A good radio mic set will have separate controls for each mic and then feed this through to a line input on one of your mixer channels. This leaves you with your leaded mic to go in to your dedicated mic input on the mixer. Hey presto, three mics!

Are you saying that your mics are permanently leaded? If so, I would suggest you invest in mics with removable cables then it's up to you whether you choose jack or xlr plugs. You can get decent Shure PG48s which are good for the old karaoke for less than £30 each with lead included.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    For pro karaoke I just use a powered mixer with 10 mic inputs each with variable EQ, levels and FX. I like to keep things simple (like me!)
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'pro' karaoke, but that mixer has more than enough FX, variable eq and separate levels for any karaoke night. I have a Behringer powered desk with about 12 channels and loads of different fx and stuff and the Numark is just as good if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'pro' karaoke, but that mixer has more than enough FX, variable eq and separate levels for any karaoke night. I have a Behringer powered desk with about 12 channels and loads of different fx and stuff and the Numark is just as good if not better.
    By pro karaoke, I mean the karaoke I do that I get paid for. I also have a load of kit left over from my home karaoke days which I wouldn't consider up to the job of being taken out on the road with me.

The point I was making was simply that I have no need to take extra mixers out with me when I'm working as my kit does everything I need it to. I wasn't putting down the numark mixer but just saying that I don't know too much about it because I don't need to.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Crossed wires.

I have a separate console built for karaoke which includes the mixer, 2 x radio mics, leaded mic, DAC-2 and SDJ1 for back up, which means there is nothing separate to take.

I'm looking at putting everything in to one console but, TBH, I don't know too much about casing things up (although I do use a lot of gear that's already flightcased but not by me!). The main karaoke unit consists of a 300+1 disc jukebox player that holds (most) of the discs. It also has a few units from VocoPro including the CG+G decoder, output selector (for multiple inputs/outputs) and other effects as well as a single CD player for inbetween music. Everythings wired internally so it's just a case of taking the power cable out to the mains and the audio jacks over to the mixer.

I'm looking to buy/build a new karaoke console (after I've sorted out my next lighting rig) which will probably be made up of the Kam Pro1500 mixer (ideal for karaoke apparently!), 2 x KAM Pro 5000 MKII CD+G/DVD players, a dual radio-mic system and some sort of amplifier (having always used powered mixers I know very little about amps so I'll have to swot up on this subject!). I know I can buy a console like this ready made but I'm wondering if I can save by doing it myself. Anyway, this is some way off yet.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Boy View Post
    If you just need a small microphone mixer, you can't go far wrong with any of them from any of the major brands that do 'em. They'll all do a good enough job, but £100 isn't going to buy you anything other than a basic mixer.

Would something like http://www.djkit.co.uk/product.php?id=1715 be what you're after?

Or maybe this?
    Both are ballpark what I'm looking at.

So would you suggest going laptop--I/O--1 Mixer channel AND Our Mic and two other mics going to the mixer in the other channels, then mixer to amp (obviously)
    Last edited by Ryu; 11-06-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I'm looking at putting everything in to one console but, TBH, I don't know too much about casing things up (although I do use a lot of gear that's already flightcased but not by me!). The main karaoke unit consists of a 300+1 disc jukebox player that holds (most) of the discs. It also has a few units from VocoPro including the CG+G decoder, output selector (for multiple inputs/outputs) and other effects as well as a single CD player for inbetween music. Everythings wired internally so it's just a case of taking the power cable out to the mains and the audio jacks over to the mixer.

I'm looking to buy/build a new karaoke console (after I've sorted out my next lighting rig) which will probably be made up of the Kam Pro1500 mixer (ideal for karaoke apparently!), 2 x KAM Pro 5000 MKII CD+G/DVD players, a dual radio-mic system and some sort of amplifier (having always used powered mixers I know very little about amps so I'll have to swot up on this subject!). I know I can buy a console like this ready made but I'm wondering if I can save by doing it myself. Anyway, this is some way off yet.

I've got one. Three mic channels, three band EQ on each mic channel, on/off switch on each. Four other channels. I don't do karaoke ( once every two years maybe) but if I did it would be my second choice mixer. ( My first choice is receding further and further into the distance, due to the cost of the Digital Switchover. Did I mention what it was costing me? )

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Boy View Post

Or maybe this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Both are ballpark what I'm looking at.

So would you suggest going laptop--I/O--1 Mixer channel AND Our Mic and two other mics going to the mixer in the other channels, then mixer to amp (obviously)

Unless I'm missing something here, you would now be looking at ditching your existing mixer, and using one linked to above, instead of adding a Mic mixer ? If so, take a look at the one mentioned earleir, a bit dearer, but one extra mic channel.
    http://www.ukdj.com/index.asp?PageAc...D&ProdID=10440

There used to be another way round it, but the one I had has died, and I haven't found anything else with the same facility.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 11-06-2008 at 07:27 PM.