Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect for the forum and your fellow DJs

Default Respect for the forum and your fellow DJs

I've noticed lately that I am having to spend a lot of time editing posts that contain a basic lack of respect for the English Language, the Forum and your fellow DJ. I will reiterate once more for the newer members, that text speak is against the rules and will be dealt with on every occasion, ultimately resulting in your posts being deleted. Everyone has the opportunity to use a spelling and grammar checker, so if you do tend towards errors, just run your post through the checker first- it takes no time at all!
    When you fail to use punctuation, the meaning of your post can be lost, misconstrued, or even taken as an affront, so please take a little care! (Wanted piano for old lady with carved legs)
    We have had a lot of antagonism on the forum lately, I'm not going to try and blame this all on the misuse of language, but it certainly contributes!

PLEASE TAKE A LITTLE TIME AND CARE, AND WE WILL ALL BENEFIT.

Oh by the way, first person to claim dyslexia is a nkob!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

and well said.....even though i fall short sometime's.......

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Oh by the way, first person to claim dyslexia is a nkob!
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Were you aware that a major study has just been completed where theyactually taught in text speak and the general exam results went up, unfortuantly the world is changing and it wouldn't surprise me if the english dictionary is actually changed within the next 10 years to include text words etc, i mean back in time we had middle englisg language which was all thou, thee, thy etc so whose not to say it wont change to keep up with the times? Better get prepared otherwise someone might have us up on discrimination etc (well with all this PC nonsence it aint that far fetched)
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnics View Post
    Were you aware that a major study has just been completed where theyactually taught in text speak and the general exam results went up, unfortuantly the world is changing and it wouldn't surprise me if the english dictionary is actually changed within the next 10 years to include text words etc, i mean back in time we had middle englisg language which was all thou, thee, thy etc so whose not to say it wont change to keep up with the times? Better get prepared otherwise someone might have us up on discrimination etc (well with all this PC nonsence it aint that far fetched)
    You need a space between they and actually, a full stop after went up and there fore a capital letter for Unfortunately, another full stop after etc and a capital letter for I (which it should have anyway whether it is the start of a sentence or not), english is mis-spelled, a semi colon required after so, it should be who's not whose.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    You need a space between they and actually, a full stop after went up and there fore a capital letter for Unfortunately, another full stop after etc and a capital letter for I (which it should have anyway whether it is the start of a sentence or not), english is mis-spelled, a semi colon required after so, it should be who's not whose.
    Theo,

You forgot to mention the requirement of a full stop at the end of the post in question.

The beauty of text messaging is that it encourages you to make your point in 96 characters. There's no laziness involved - to condense a thought down to a minimum of simple, short words takes time, consideration, and a good grasp of standard English as well as its dialects.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Theo,

You forgot to mention the requirement of a full stop at the end of the post in question.

I was waiting for him to mention that too Rob lol - See not everyone's perfect
    Last edited by Penfold42; 19-06-2008 at 04:10 PM.
    Gaz Evans
    www.candybeatdiscos.com
    Kids Parties, Weddings, Birthdays
    Fife, West Lothian, Edinburgh, Falkirk, Stirling & Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnics View Post
    The beauty of text messaging is that it encourages you to make your point in 96 characters. There's no laziness involved - to condense a thought down to a minimum of simple, short words takes time, consideration, and a good grasp of standard English as well as its dialects.
    I have no problem with text talk...

...as long as it's confined to text messages on mobile phones.

After all, that's what it's for!

When you have a full size keyboard and screen in front of you, and you're not being charged for using a certain number of characters, there are no excuses. Certain abbreviations are universal and won't cause any confusion or lack of clarity - but most will.

I dont have too big a problem with text talk - although I dont like it and it is against the rules on this forum which are set by the proprietors, admin and mods - not us; so you have to obey the rules or get into trouble.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    When you have a full size keyboard and screen in front of you, and you're not being charged for using a certain number of characters, there are no excuses. Certain abbreviations are universal and won't cause any confusion or lack of clarity - but most will.