Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Respect for the forum and your fellow DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I agree Ptehfdcdsklsj
    Sorry Daz, can't speak Polish!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Fortunately, my spelling & grammar is quite good, but I cringe when I see some of the posts here.

If someone's written English is not good, they MUST know that, in which case why not just run it through a spell checker?

That's what I'd do.

Surely it's common sense?
    Yes, Rob, but what you're missing is that oftentimes these people don't actually care that their use of English is substandard... they don't value it. I equate failing to take care with your English with bad manners. Failing to communicate clearly, to my mind, shows a disdain for those with whom you are communicating - of course for some it is a genuine lack of ability due to miseducation or a learning disability. Have you noticed, though, that those on here with genuine dyslexia are also the ones that try the hardest?

The decline of English as a language has been roughly commensurate with the decline in common courtesies; the kids saying 'Innit' and 'Fink' are the ones that aren't standing for an OAP on public transport, etc.

Even the BBC now says "Vee" rather than "versus" on sports broadcasts for goodness sake - so much for the last bastion of English, eh?

There was an ad running on TV in NZ where this kid was running around a supermarket buying stuff for his mum and got a text telling him "Dnt frgt th chps" - he spent the rest of the ad going "is that chips or chops?"
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Fortunately, my spelling & grammar is quite good, but I cringe when I see some of the posts here.

If someone's written English is not good, they MUST know that, in which case why not just run it through a spell checker?

That's what I'd do.

Surely it's common sense?

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    Yes, Rob, but what you're missing is that oftentimes these people don't actually care that their use of English is substandard... they don't value it. I equate failing to take care with your English with bad manners. Failing to communicate clearly, to my mind, shows a disdain for those with whom you are communicating - of course for some it is a genuine lack of ability due to miseducation or a learning disability. Have you noticed, though, that those on here with genuine dyslexia are also the ones that try the hardest?

The decline of English as a language has been roughly commensurate with the decline in common courtesies; the kids saying 'Innit' and 'Fink' are the ones that aren't standing for an OAP on public transport, etc.

Even the BBC now says "Vee" rather than "versus" on sports broadcasts for goodness sake - so much for the last bastion of English, eh?

There was an ad running on TV in NZ where this kid was running around a supermarket buying stuff for his mum and got a text telling him "Dnt frgt th chps" - he spent the rest of the ad going "is that chips or chops?"
    Al,

I'm not missing the fact that sometimes these people don't care that their use of English is sub-standard.

The fact that someone with bad spelling does NOT run their posts through a spell checker suggests to me that they simply don't care, as that's the only logical conclusion to draw.

Therefore, it looks like I'll continue to cringe at many of the posts.

Al,

The fact that someone with bad spelling does NOT run their posts through a spell checker suggests to me that they simply don't care, as that's the only logical conclusion to draw.
    Unfortunatly spell checkers do have a drawback. If the offending word is actually a word it is passed over. It will still be wrong but not recognised as such.

All those sound-alike words will still be used incorrectly.
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by robbiedj View Post
    Unfortunatly spell checkers do have a drawback. If the offending word is actually a word it is passed over. It will still be wrong but not recognised as such.

All those sound-alike words will still be used incorrectly.
    Fair comment Robbie.

If only I had a pound for each time "there" or "their" was incorrectly used on this forum, though!

Fair comment Robbie.

If only I had a pound for each time "there" or "their" was incorrectly used on this forum, though!

Their their Rob. There bound to get it wrong sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Impactdisco View Post
    Their their Rob. There bound to get it wrong sometimes!

The latest one to grate on me is use "of" where the correct word is "have"

e.g. He should of done this. NO!!! He should have done this.
    Do you really want me to play that?

Magic Moments ....... making your moment magic.
    www.magicmoments-disco.co.uk

Secretary of NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by robbiedj View Post
    The latest one to grate on me is use "of" where the correct word is "have"

e.g. He should of done this. NO!!! He should have done this.
    A hanging offence in my book!

You could have said off with their heads!
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco