Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your music's complete rubbish!!!

Default Your music's complete rubbish!!!

Did a wedding the other week where a couple of friends of the B+G came up to me and said "you're music's comple rubbish(word changed for obvious reasons).So I said ok what would you like me to play? and thay said "you're the dj you should know!"
    I should have known better because when I introduced myself to the B+G the best man said "I should have know that you were the DJ as you look just like one" What I should have said was-"Is that an insult or a compliment?"
    but decided against it.

Just curious to see if I should have handled it another way other than just walking out

2 things firstly what were you wearing to look like a dj.
    did you not meet with the b&g beforehand to discuss the event. out of curiosity what music were you playing

I think we've all experienced that kind of rudeness at some time or another. I usually ask them what they'd like to hear, to which they usually reply with "I dunno" or some sarcastic comment. I just smile and tell them that clairvoyancy isn't a talent of mine, and if they don't have a clue what they want to hear then there's little chance of me knowing their tastes. Then I go back to what I'm doing. There's no need for rudeness and I don't put up with it.

Having a roadie helps. I leave him to take requests, so thankfully I don't have to hear too much nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopd View Post
    Did a wedding the other week where a couple of friends of the B+G came up to me and said "you're music's comple rubbish(word changed for obvious reasons).So I said ok what would you like me to play? and thay said "you're the dj you should know!"
    I should have known better because when I introduced myself to the B+G the best man said "I should have know that you were the DJ as you look just like one" What I should have said was-"Is that an insult or a compliment?"
    but decided against it.

Just curious to see if I should have handled it another way other than just walking out
    I always send out request forms with space for up to 50 songs, and more & more clients are choosing to completely fill it.

Therefore, if some friends of the bride & groom came up to me and said "Your music's complete rubbish" my reply would be "You'd better go and tell the Bride & Groom then, because they are the ones who chose it"

Dougie - I'm sure I warned you against getting that "Hi! I'm A DJ" tattoo on your forehead. It's a dead giveaway!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Do you know I can't actually remember what I was wearing but I obviously looked like a dj!.I usually do meet the B+G but on this occasion they didn't request it and I always encourage them to choose songs,again,nothing there

Them: "I should have know that you were the DJ as you look just like one"

Me: "Very perceptive, Sir. I guess the cases of cd's I'm carrying and the headphones around my neck were a good indication"

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I think we've all experienced that kind of rudeness at some time or another. I usually ask them what they'd like to hear, to which they usually reply with "I dunno" or some sarcastic comment. I just smile and tell them that clairvoyancy isn't a talent of mine, and if they don't have a clue what they want to hear then there's little chance of me knowing their tastes. Then I go back to what I'm doing. There's no need for rudeness and I don't put up with it.

Having a roadie helps. I leave him to take requests, so thankfully I don't have to hear too much nonsense.
    I get that every now and then

Its always the people who complain who obviously have no music taste. I always say well sorry, what do you want? they always say i don't know. Stupid drunkens. I sometimes get an idea of what they want and play it.

Some times the idiots have a point though. it takes guts to come up and show your feelings. maybe it is something you might have missed. i did it last night. a woman really helped me by asking for a rock set. It really went down well.

B+G request sheets are a great way to know what to play and a good excuse too. I always use that one over the mic.

Did you walk out as that seems a little extreme.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

No I had no real intention of walking out but just spent a few days coming to the conclusion that there are 2 types of crowd.
    The ones who respect you and even the b+g's parents/friends etc thank you or politely ask what they want during the evening and the ones who think that they or their relatives have paid for you so they own you for that night.

I always want to meet the couple in advance of the event to discuss things but am coming round to possibly wanting to meet them BEFORE I decide if I do the gig!

ppentertainments

I never get that comment so must be brilliant

Seriously though I do think people think we are mind readers. What one group love, another will hate. I find it rare to have 2 weddings where I play the same music. Had one on friday where they were all into motown (common for a wedding) yet last nights wedding they wanted only modern songs.

I nearly always reply to the "have you got any good songs" question with "no I only play rubbish ones" (or words to that effect).