Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Steve Maxted ?

Default Anyone heard of Steve Maxted ?

Does anyone know of a Dj by the name of Steve Maxted. He did lots of theatrical stuff on his Roadshows. Saw him a few times in the early eighties so going back a bit here. Just wondered what ever happened to him. Cheers.

I remember him well from the early seventies when he ran a big roadshow and did gigs around Kent. He was one of the best live dj's ever. As well as playing good music he also juggled and did tricks and acrobatic stunts and stuck needles into himself. I got to know him later and he was a really nice bloke.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    I remember him well from the early seventies when he ran a big roadshow and did gigs around Kent. He was one of the best live dj's ever. As well as playing good music he also juggled and did tricks and acrobatic stunts and stuck needles into himself. I got to know him later and he was a really nice bloke.
    Yes i remember his antics well. One of my favourites was when he went to the other side of the dance floor dressed as Clint Eastwood (Spaghetti Western Style ). He would then swivel round. draw a gun and blow something apart on stage. Great fun. Where is he now ?

Default Im his son!

Hi,

Was just randomly searching steve maxted on google when I saw this! But you might be surprised to know i'm his 16 year old son. I'll let him know about this forum and try to get him in touch for you. He is still as mental as you probably remeber him and if you give his name a seacrh on google you will probably find stuff about his windsurfing ect. Earlier this year as well, someone commented about him on youtube and he replied to the comments on a couple of videos so if you want to get in touch with him you could try through youtube, but as i said i will try to get him to come here.

See ya,

Zef

Quote Originally Posted by Zef View Post
    Hi,

Was just randomly searching steve maxted on google when I saw this! But you might be surprised to know i'm his 16 year old son. I'll let him know about this forum and try to get him in touch for you. He is still as mental as you probably remeber him and if you give his name a seacrh on google you will probably find stuff about his windsurfing ect. Earlier this year as well, someone commented about him on youtube and he replied to the comments on a couple of videos so if you want to get in touch with him you could try through youtube, but as i said i will try to get him to come here.

See ya,

Zef
    Wow cheers for the reply. Sorry for the delay in my reply computer was out of action. Glad he s still as mental as ever. A top jock !

Yeah give him my very warmest regards. The man is a legend.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Hi Zef.

Oh say Hi to steve for me. I worked in his record shop many moons ago. Remember him well. & at the savoy at catford where we would hang out. Love to hear from him.

Tell him to get intouch with Sandra

I knew Steve Maxted well. Lost touch with him mid seventies but recently had begun to wonder whatever became of him.

I remember the record shop below the Savoy/Witch Doctor at Catford. spent many nights in the club above.

Often went with Steve and me mate Richard to the Cobweb Club at Hastings, a great place at the time. It's still a club, over the amusement arcade overlooking the fisherman's huts. No idea what it's like now.

Steve also played the pier at Gravesend, Woodville Halls, Gravesend and some club in East Sheen. To this day whenever I hear Wet Dream by Max Romeo or I Second That Emotion by Smokey Robinson I think of Steve.

I once went with Steve to a hall in West Norwood (Nettlefold Hall, I think, where a scene from the movie Clockwork Orange was filmed) where he played ska, blue beat and reggae all evening to a solidly black audience.

Me Steve and Richard were the only white guys there and were made very very welcome. Fond memories of that evening, dancing.

We were all supposed to be into prog rock at the time, trying to be cool, but Steve made us dance

I have some photos from that time, I'll post them if anybody's interested.

Yes please post, i love old pics