Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp Volume

Default Amp Volume

Hi folks,

Just bought a new mixer and it is very loud compared to my old one,

last night i had my gains at a quarter of the way up from 0 (not set at 12 o clock) and my amp was on 3 quarters but i couldn't run a full slider as it was that loud, What is the best way to set your mixer and amp up as i was always told to run your amp on full, my master volume was set to half on the mixer and my amp was at 3 quarters, is it ok to run your gain nearly off to get volume,

Any help on this would be nice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by djsteve10 View Post
    Hi folks,

Just bought a new mixer and it is very loud compared to my old one,

last night i had my gains at a quarter of the way up from 0 (not set at 12 o clock) and my amp was on 3 quarters but i couldn't run a full slider as it was that loud, What is the best way to set your mixer and amp up as i was always told to run your amp on full, my master volume was set to half on the mixer and my amp was at 3 quarters, is it ok to run your gain nearly off to get volume,

Any help on this would be nice.

Cheers
    Im not an expert but presumably you need to try and cut out the red flashing LED peak lights that come up telling you of any overloading by making necessary adjustments--if you have that problem--if you dont fine its a bit of trial and error.

I dont have my Powered Mixer on full bore because of the potential hissing over the horns during "quiet" times when im giving instructions over the mike.

Also even with dancing leds at high volume there is no distortion from the speakers.

CRAZY K

I never have my ams at full and never have. I have them about 50% and then control trim with mixer main output slider and channel controls.
    When the world ends , ill probably have to clean up the mess.

Spinal Tap setting.
    Please have a look here, in particular the article referred by Tony was informative and helpful. Basically it said that the red lights should come on at the same point in all your system, which makes absolute sense.
    http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.u...ad.php?t=13087

ppentertainments

Am not saying this is right, but what I was told was to leave your amp turned off, set something playing with your volume at max (or to that sign that looks like a number 8 on its side ), then turn your gain up till the red lights on the mixer just stay off. Then turn your amp on with the volume turned down and turn amp volume up to the max desired level. If your speakers and amp are well matched (like mine ) you should be able to turn your amp up to max without any clipping. Once amp is set use the volume on your mixer to adjust volume, do not touch the gain.

Not saying this is striclty true but since using this method I have never had any problems, can run my amp and mixer on full (with the gain set) and never have any problems or clipping. If I turn the gain up slightly though clipping starts straight away.

Now to throw a curve ball, since going Digital, I can't get anything to clip. Most of the faders live at the top nowadays. The downside is I've acquired a lot of background noise when nothing is happening.

ppentertainments

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Now to throw a curve ball, since going Digital, I can't get anything to clip. Most of the faders live at the top nowadays. The downside is I've acquired a lot of background noise when nothing is happening.
    I found that when using the laptop but the cortex behaves the same as my cd's.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I found that when using the laptop but the cortex behaves the same as my cd's.
    Mine doesn't!

I did mention this earlier.

Is that because your amp is at maximum Peter?

Shouldnt happen on a matched system.

With my Peavey Powered Mixer at blasting level as it was outdoors yesterday---just over half way for master volumes---no hissing whilst I talk to the punters--admittedly I shout at them a lot at high volume through the JTS

CRAZY K

Spinal Tap setting.
    My amp levels go up to 11