Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Neutrik Speakon embarrassment...

Default Neutrik Speakon embarrassment...

OK, so, for some reason, leads confuse me, I think in part because several times people who should know better have confused male/female when it comes to XLRs (I always thought the 3-pin plug was the female because of the sheeth that takes the (male) plug... still don't know), and I've only recently had to know my 2-pole from my 4-pole speakons, problem is, I don't...

Is NL4 always 4-pole, or does it depend on how it's been wired? More importantly will a cable that's wired as 4-pole still work as 2-pole? What happens when an amp output is 4-pole but a speaker input is 2-pole?
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    OK, so, for some reason, leads confuse me, I think in part because several times people who should know better have confused male/female when it comes to XLRs (I always thought the 3-pin plug was the female because of the sheeth that takes the (male) plug... still don't know), and I've only recently had to know my 2-pole from my 4-pole speakons, problem is, I don't...

Is NL4 always 4-pole, or does it depend on how it's been wired? More importantly will a cable that's wired as 4-pole still work as 2-pole? What happens when an amp output is 4-pole but a speaker input is 2-pole?
    I dont know the answer Al, but as you pride yourself on correct English---and thats something to admire---I do know SHEATH is spelt like this

heres some fun--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath

CRAZY K

NL4 is a four pole connector, it can be used with 2-core cable (usually wired to 1+/1-)

If the output on an amplifier is sending a signal to 1+ and 2+, and the speaker is only wired to 1+/1-, you will only get part of the bi-amped signal reproduced.

Yep, that's sbout what I thought, problem is not all hardware is entirely clear on which it is. Generally 4-pole is for speakers that have a through, yes?

Thanks, Alan, fingers-faster-than-brain-itis.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Generally 4-pole is for speakers that have a through, yes?
    NL4 can be used for a through, however its' most common use is to connect bi-amped boxes.

You may also from time to time come across an NL8 connector - it looks like an NL4 only larger, for use with 8-core cable, i.e. four separate feeds.

The advantage of these is the ability to run a single cable to your stacks, also used on mid-highs when running tri-amped.

nigelwright7557

There might be some info at:
    http://www.neutrik.com

I make up my own cables so I can make my own rules up for which pin does what. I havent got past NL2 yet !

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    I make up my own cables so I can make my own rules up for which pin does what. I havent got past NL2 yet !
    But surely wouldn't it be better to use the standard wiring configuration (UK of course)

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by JayDeeDrinker View Post
    But surely wouldn't it be better to use the standard wiring configuration (UK of course)
    Of course, if you can find the correct wiring config.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
    Of course, if you can find the correct wiring config.
    There's loads of wiring configs on the net - just Google them and ye shall find.