Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: .htm ?

Question .htm ?

Hello you lot,

I'm making a website for the band but on pages it says: www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gigs.htm

(not online yet though)

how can i make the webpage www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gigs without the extension code bit?

Thank You.
    Broken Machine YouTube - Broken Machines Space Official Site Soon! - Hopefully

The easy way is to name the page in question index.htm, and place it in a folder at www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gigs/

The more complicated way would be using mod rewrite and htaccess to serve the correct page. See http://newmediarts.blogspot.com/2007...urls-with.html for a pointer.

P.S. It's a good idea to register your domain before posting anything like this, as there are people around who would register it before you do....
    Last edited by Marc J; 04-08-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added PS

The first one seems simple but what do you mean?

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by brokenmachine View Post
    The first one seems simple but what do you mean?

Sorry
    Your website can have a folder (or directory) structure just like files on your PC. In a website, there are default files which will show if no filename is used, for example typing www.brokenmachine.co.uk will actually show the file www.brokenmachine.co.uk/index.htm as index.htm is almost always included in the default file list on the server. FYI this list is usually something like: -

index.html
    index.shtml
    index.php
    index.htm
    default.html
    Default.htm
    default.html
    Default.html
    default.shtml
    Default.shtml
    page1.html
    index.pl
    index.cgi
    index.php3
    index.phtml
    home.htm
    home.html
    home.shtml
    index.wml

Although not particularly in that order. What this means is that when the server gets a request for a folder but no file name, it will look for the above files and display the first match it finds. There are ways to customise this default file list using htaccess but you probably don't want to go there....

So, if you have gigs.htm and you want it to display without the .htm, you rename it index.htm and put it in the \gigs\ folder.

Thanks, I think thats cleared that up, so my file directory will be like this?:

Broken Machine - Template folder
    gig - folder\ gig.htm
    music - folder\ ---
    video - folder\ ---

Is this correct and if so i will just need to type in: www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gig and that webpage will load up?

And is this what I could use for .htaccess if I sometime in the future need to: www.htaccesseditor.com/en.shtml#a_redirect

Thanks, I think thats cleared that up, so my file directory will be like this?:

gig - folder\ gig.htm
    music - folder\ ---
    video - folder\ ---

Is this correct and if so i will just need to type in: www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gig and that webpage will load up?
    No, it'll be like this: -

gig - folder\ index.htm
    music - folder\ index.htm
    video - folder\ index.htm

And is this what I could use for .htaccess if I sometime in the future need to: www.htaccesseditor.com/en.shtml#a_redirect
    No, I wouldn't use that.

So with that file structure when someone for example types in: www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gig it will load the gig page and for the other pages as well? /music etc etc

So with that file structure when someone for example types in: www.brokenmachine.co.uk/gig it will load the gig page and for the other pages as well? /music etc etc
    Yes, should do. Just remember to code the pages correctly as links between the pages would have to reflect the directory structure, for example a link from the music page to the gig page would look something like: -

<a href="../gig/index.htm">click here to go to the Gig page</a>

The ../gig/ part meaning "go back one, then into the gig directory".