Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cdg help needed please

Default cdg help needed please

Hi, does anyone know what kind of discs you need to burn karaoke songs for a cdg player ? We want to make back up copies to take out like we do for our regular cds, as the cdgs are expensive and are starting to get scratched etc. Also, we buy songs from napster, and i've noticed they also have karaoke songs listed. How would we burn them onto disc and get the words displayed on screen as well ! is this possible with stuff downloaded from napster does anyone know ? I've been told to use dvd-r's, but i don't think our decks play dvd's. any help gratefully received. cheers folks
    TNT Disco & Karaoke - Sheffield

www.tnt-disco.co.uk

Is this legal ???
    Put that darn stick down

If you have a Produb licence.

Try Power cdg burner available on link below. Cost is $39 USD.You will need the produb as mentioned above to keep it legal.Normal cdr's can be used, burn at a low speed as higher speeds can cause mosaic effects on the graphics.

http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod_powercdgburner.php
    Last edited by HaiFai; 28-08-2008 at 11:56 AM.

I've been creating CD+Gs of my own for years now. Whoever told you to use recordable DVDs is way out as I don't know of such a format as DVD+G.

You can record CD+Gs on any blank recordable CD but not CD+RW as the discs need to be finalised in order for them to play in a CD+G player. Simple CDrs are all you need.

As for software, any decent CD backup software will do the job. You can use a package such as Nero providing you can copy in RAW mode and read and write sub-channel data. This is the important part. You need a CD writer that can write in this mode and few do - many more can read it but not write to it. If you have Nero there's a utility called something like DriveInfo which will analyse your drive and will tell you if it can read and/or write CD+G. Remember, this format is NOT the same CD+Text as many people seem to think.

If your drive is compatible, then you can use the disc copy facility in Nero but make sure you check the options boxes for read/write sub-channel data. For much easier to use software, try CloneCD as I find this works better and is much more basic and easier to use. Always copy at the slowest speed and turn off any error-reporting/correction functions as these can stop the copying process which is something you don't want.

When the copying is complete (can take a while depending on the speed you burn at but don't be tempted to ramp up the speed - this will only cause you problems and wasted discs) it will take a minute or so to finalise. This process means that the disc will be able to be read in any CD+G compatible player. Job done.

As for the legality of it, if you're copying disc to disc I'm not sure that ProDub will cover this as you're not format-shifting. If you're burning legally bought MP3+G downloads to disc then the ProDub with karaoke uplift is what you need. If you have the ProDub with karaoke uplift then you may be better off using a digital karaoke playout system which will save you having to carry around all those discs!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    As for the legality of it, if you're copying disc to disc I'm not sure that ProDub will cover this as you're not format-shifting.
    Yes it will. It is a copying licence - any format to any format.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Yes it will. It is a copying licence - any format to any format.
    That's for that, Daz. My misunderstanding.
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

The confusion comes with the different phrases used - copying and format shifting and it's called a dubbing licence...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    The confusion comes with the different phrases used - copying and format shifting and it's called a dubbing licence...
    I don't associate the word dubbing with copying. I associate it the process of overlaying an alternative soundtrack on to video footage as in "badly dubbed film". Maybe that's where my confusion lies. I'm too old school!
    Dazzy D

Born to make you party!

Default cheers guys

we have the produb anyway so thats not a prob !! Not sure about whether our drive is able to copy them though, its a recently purchased one but bog standard philips light scribe cd/dvd rewriter. Will have a look. We have nero start smart etc have always used that to back up our regular stuff. It's just the karaoke ones that are v expensive and need backing up really. Wasn't sure how the graphics would get on the disc !!
    Thanks for the info will try it all !
    TNT Disco & Karaoke - Sheffield

www.tnt-disco.co.uk