Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speaker Suggestions and Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    and thats 2k sound system for £831.68
    And if you didn't use text again, your last post would still be on here.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Tom

A sealed rear chamber bandpass cabinet will provide much further throw than a reflex box.

C4-SUB is one of the bast bandpass boxes around (15+ year old design and still current product line) and a pair of them is good for far greater numbers than 100!

Tony
    I have never heard them so I can't really comment on them but by going the stats at -5db they only go as low as 50hz for s single cab. So you would need more of them to go even lower.

I can't find out how much they cost, just hire prices but I can tell they cost quite a bit. For the average mobile dj, this is to expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    The way I see it is a lot of todays music, mostly r'n'b has a lot of very low end bass. Having a larger cab m,eans you can get those lower notes without having to turn the volume to to ear bleeding levels to hear it.
    A single Stasys 8 (twin 18" hornloaded) goes down to 48hz. The box weighs 108kg. A single Q-SUB (single 18" reflex) - half the size of the S8 and just under half the weight goes down to 40hz.

So does size really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    A single Stasys 8 (twin 18" hornloaded) goes down to 48hz. The box weighs 108kg. A single Q-SUB (single 18" reflex) - half the size of the S8 and just under half the weight goes down to 40hz.

So does size really matter?

Depends on the design of the cab really. As you know you can have a great speaker in a not so good cab and it will sound...not sou good. But if you fit a not so good speaker in a well designed cab you can make the speaker sound so much better than whst it is.

Here is the X1. On paper this can goes down to 31hz but can do down to 30hz. This is a DIY cab that is not big or small. Yes this is a bandpass design, but because it a lot bigger than the other compact cabs by other speaker brands, it can cope with the lower bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    I still don't understand why and how that having a cab that goes lower and louder is better though That was my point.
    It isn't better as such - it's just a different tool do a slightly different job. Is a 12mm drill 'better' than an 8mm one, for example?

As KMA has already said, a lot of the urban style material can have some really deep content - growling bass lines and bass sweeps down to 35Hz and below - you just won't hear this using a 12" full range cabinet.

I do a fair number of teenage events and therefore need (like, if I'm honest) a good deep bass response to contribute to the overall effect of the show, but for my sins that means humping 2 X 280 litre bass cabinets around with me. Not necessary for your typical mixed age event though.

So - regarding the original opening question, the speaker requirements depend on expectations and use - small speakers with an unimpressive bass response but easy to transport, ceiling-looseners which require two to carry, or somewhere in between the two extremes?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    You don't know the size of room and type of room and also are we talking about 200 people on a dance floor or 200 at the party?

200 people on the dance floor is going to need a fairly big system, whereas 200 at the party can easily be done with an efficient pair of full range cabs, veneue dependant.

Subs are for re-inforcement, for bass. They aren't going to make your voice carry further are they?
    If your in the market for up to 200 people attending/ dancing ( like I am) then you could easily end up in a very large Marquee like I did in fact last week needing a lot of sound for a Country Disco.

It must have been 100 feet long--you may say you dont need a lot of sound for the dancefloor--but the people at the back of the Marquee want to hear whats going on as well. Especially as thats where the bar was

And the Rodeo Bull competition

The bass bins are to reinforce the sound generally, but your vocals go through them as well---unless you have a high pitched voice

As I dont know what bookings might come through I would assume the worst case scenario and buy a system that could cope with the above.

If its a small venue booking--leave the subs behind--I do that as well.

Thats my recommendation when someone says its 150-200 people.

CRAZY K