Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SRM450s Overheating - is it really a problem?

It was the heat problems that initially made me decide to go passive.

Mine only thermed-out once although they were close to a wall, and to be honest, I did drive them very hard, especially the bass frequencies.

They weren't so bad when I used to take the SWA1501 bin out, but they are just so d@mn heavy.

Right, having had them running in the lounge for most of the afternoon (not full whack, obviously ) I'm going to trust them for the wedding tomorrow.

Well when I say "trust", I'm leaving the Peaveys at home but I do have a pair of 10" 2-way no-brand emergency speakers and an amp in the van

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Right, having had them running in the lounge for most of the afternoon (not full whack, obviously ) I'm going to trust them for the wedding tomorrow.

Well when I say "trust", I'm leaving the Peaveys at home but I do have a pair of 10" 2-way no-brand emergency speakers and an amp in the van
    sure you will be fine mate... i have never known anyone to have them fail... clip and go into protect for a few moments but never fail.

just keep an eye on your level and all will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Or go for the V2 Mackies which use digital amplifiers that produce very little heat, so no fans required & no overheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    Has anyone actually used these and can confirm this is the case over many bookings?
    Crazy,

I've read the spec & can confirm that the V2 use digital amplifiers.

As I understand it, the main benefits of digital amplifiers are firstly the significant weight reduction (the SRM450V2 actives weigh 5kg LESS than my Mackie PASSIVES!) and secondly due to the way they work, digital amplifiers produce MUCH less heat than regular amps, making it extremely unlikely that any overheating would occur...regardless of the number of gigs they've been used at.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post

I'd take a loaf of bread, and some Bacon. That way you can pass round Toasted Bacon Sarnies, while you wait for the cabs to cool down.

Some folk swear they overheat and trip, others say they've never known it happen. I have seen their heatsinks very hot, which is where they remove the heat, but as to tripping, I've no idea. Sorry.

Crazy,

I've read the spec & can confirm that the V2 use digital amplifiers.

As I understand it, the main benefits of digital amplifiers are firstly the significant weight reduction (the SRM450V2 actives weigh 5kg LESS than my Mackie PASSIVES!) and secondly due to the way they work, digital amplifiers produce MUCH less heat than regular amps, making it extremely unlikely that any overheating would occur...regardless of the number of gigs they've been used at.

Also Rob, The new v2 use neo magnet speakers which are lighter and perform a lot better,

Quote Originally Posted by KMA Disco View Post
    Also Rob, The new v2 use neo magnet speakers which are lighter and perform a lot better,
    Even better!

Martin, take them and enjoy them. I expect they'll be fine.

If you over drive them they would be so fuppin' loud and I can't imagine that's the way you work.

Just be ready to trim the mid-range on the eq. to keep the sound a bit more 'British'.

Even better!

But we still dont know anyone who has used them?

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K ROADSHOW View Post
    But we still dont know anyone who has used them?

CRAZY K
    Tom Uses them