Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Setting up my new sub

Default Setting up my new sub

Hi all,

I am about to buy a DB sub 15 800w and i'm going to add this to my existing set up of 2 JBL EON 15 G2'S to give me a nice bit of low end.
    You may be shocked to read this but i have never used a sub before as the venues i have played in were mostly working men's clubs and small halls, however i have a couple of bookings for larger places and decided a sub was definately needed.
    My questions are, apart from the sub, what leads do i need to buy to connect this all up? and can someone explain to me how to connect this all up obviously using 2 satellite speakers and only one sub. As I'm a total novice in this field I need some direction in the simplest of terms.
    Thanks for your help.
    Andy

In simple terms...

1. Take a pair of XLR cables from your mixer output to the Sub Inputs
    2. Take a pair of XLR cables from your Sub Outputs - one to each top speaker

Sorted

Now then, on the dB Sub you'll find two sets of Outputs - one is a copy of the full signal and the other is post-crossover, so in other words with the low-end frequencies stripped out. The crossover point is switchable (80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz IIRC) on the sub, too, so you can experiment with what sounds best for you.

This means that in the largest rooms where you need a bit more grunt, you can still pass the bass frequencies to your tops, but in most cases I find this is unnecessary.

Thanks Vectisvibe, much appreciated, do you have the DB 15? if so how do you find it ?
    Andy

Yep I have one. It's great. Replaced two Peavey Prosub-P's with one dBsub and the bass is a little less 'muddy'. Very happy.

My only recommendation is to get a cover for it. I didn't at first and because of it's size/weight it tends to get stuff plonked on top of it in the van and it's quite easily scratched up.

Thats great advice thanks very much, i'll let you know how it goes, cheers.
    Andy

Ive never used a sub and my system sounds ok but its only 200 watt.
    Check out my site:
    www.idisco.page.tl

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by idisco View Post
    Ive never used a sub and my system sounds ok but its only 200 watt.
    I use a 15 inch Eminence cab or an 18 inch Fane cab dpending on how strong I am feeling and get plenty of bass from them.

If you want more bass without upgrading either put your bass cab in a corner, against a wall or on its side on the floor. The castors on bass bins can lose you quite a bit of bass. You tend to feel low bass rather than hear it.
    Last edited by nigelwright7557; 11-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.