Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: limit resistor in tweeters

Default limit resistor in tweeters

im currently refurbing a couple of cabs, and replacing main cones & all 3 tweeters at the same time, i've just look through some through some docs that say you should have a limit resistor inline between speaker input and tweeters the actual line says, "Limit Resistor" " No Limit Resistor Should Be Required With Amplifiers Up To 100 Watts, Use A 1K Resistor For Amplifiers Up To 250 Watts."

well what resistor do i need inline with amps between 300 & 500 watts a side, at 4 Ohms.

im asuming it's to stop you blowing the tweeters by sending too much voume through em, the cabs that are being rebuild are tsx-12's

excuse the piccy but it's one of the standards, slightly changed design since i bought mine, which inc 3 Tweeters instead of one.

any ideas please
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mldiscos; 16-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    ML DISCOS Discothque Servies Pleasing The Crowd Since 1998.

The limit resister is there to limit frequencies, not power. Piezo tweeters can be damaged by high frequencies that they are not designed to handle and the resistor will prevent the higher frequencies from reaching them.

1k resistor should be fine wired in series. Just make sure it is a power resistor of at least 3w.

alternatively you could put a lightbulb in series like the peavey cabs
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member