Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Website Hosting

501damian501

Default Website Hosting

morning everyone, this is sumthing which has been on my mind for a while now, which web hosting do we all use ?, UK based or USA based, a quick search of the internet will tell us quickly enough places like the U.S are far more cheaper, does it really matter which country your hosting is coming from ?,

www.servage.net. Its German with UK servers but i haven't had any problems. 24/7 365 support. £4.50 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by 501damian501 View Post
    does it really matter which country your hosting is coming from ?
    Not especially, if you're only putting up a 'typical' half-dozen-paged static content site.

All other things being equal (tiering, speed & contention ratio of server), using a US-based host rather that a UK-based host is likely to add a very small latency overhead - anything from 20ms to 2/300ms - simply because of the laws of physics - and for highly interactive sites or those with lots of content this will become noticeable to the end user.

My advice? For a simple static site it doesn't matter. For anything more than this, go with a UK-based host, ideally Tier 1 (but they're not cheap) but certainly Tier 2 if you can afford it over a Tier 3 operator.

thanks iv been thinking about this too =p

There are loads of hostiong incentives around at the moment. 123 are doing a £1 per month hosting for 6 months, 1 & 1 are offering buy one domain get another free when you buy hosting. Just shop around.

501damian501

ive allways been told to steer clear from 123 and ive seen the deal on 1&1 and it sounds to good to be true lol

I use 123 and never had a problem, I have 4 sites with them. Never had problems with 1 & 1 either.

Personally I know people who use 123 and the service is good, although it is relatively hard to use, and I would steer clear of 1&1 their customer service is awful and overcharge you for most services. Have a look around, but there are some really good companies with fast customer service, its not to hard, but look through all the fine details, else you'll be caught out.
    Want piece of mind? Want £30 free advertising? Want better hosting?
    Try Redihot.com - low cost quality hosting

I used to be with Claranet, but left them due to large numbers of webstats not being picked up or included in their reports.

I now use this forum's very own Marc J.

Highly recommended.

501damian501

rob your braking the forums advertisment regulations i believe, ONLY JOKING