Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: website colours

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    I disagree, Ive seen sites by so called professional web designers that look a lot more home made than yours. the only fault I can find with it is I hate white on black websites.
    i dont mind the white on black- its the other bright colours on black i struggle to read.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I think most know my views on "home-made" websites. They haven't gone down too well in the past (apologies to all who were offended ).

Offended-- Quite the reverse.

My most successful Website by miles was built by me on Frontpage and until the recent credit crunch/recession was pulling about 15 enquiries a week, now its downto about 5.

It far outperforms sites I have paid people to make

Damian- re the Colours.

There is a whole area of psychology associated with an individuals Colour preferences, in fact another completely different area associated with selling skills and marketing.

Its not just a question if blue clashes with another colour.

Try it for yourself--what colour website do you feel attracted to?

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Westcott View Post
    But - Does anyone gain extra bookings as a result of having a 'flashy', possibly non-compliant web site? If I pay £400 for someone to 'design' a web page, will I recover that in extra bookings?

I don't know, and I'm sure there's no easy way to find out - pity though, as it would be an interesting survey.
    That mostly depends on the competition in your area. I think it's more a case of bad websites putting potential clients off, more than good websites securing enquiries / booking. No website at all is better than a bad one imho.

As for compliance - who really cares? Not Joe Public booking a disco, that's for sure....

Incidentally, I've looked at the code for some 'professionally' designed web sites and was a little surprised and disheartened to see machine-generated code. If I was to pay huge sums for a web designer, I'd at least expect him/her to be able to write the code himself. Don't you agree?
    No. Why have a dog and bark yourself? I pay good money for the software I use - so why shouldn't I use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    the only fault I can find with it is I hate white on black websites.
    So do I really, but reversing the scheme makes it look worse, according to 5 people (family) I cornered for an opinion. Black on white was how it was originally.

Another potential problem with white text on black is if the end user has been able to set text colour to black, or to display a white background, they wouldn't see very much...

EDIT:
    Quote:
    "As for compliance - who really cares?"
    The computer will care, and possibly not display the page as was intended - it's an important issue, believe me.

Quote:
    "As for compliance - who really cares?"
    The computer will care, and possibly not display the page as was intended - it's an important issue, believe me.
    It's never been much of an issue for me. I'll make a compliant website if the client makes an issue of it - it's no big deal but gives me the opportunity to charge a little more

I check sites in all popular browsers. And let's face it, if someone is looking at a non-compliant site using Win95 and IE4 and it doesn't quite render as intended - who cares? With their dinosaur PC, how much spare cash do you think they have to spend on your disco?
    Last edited by Marc J; 23-11-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Good point!
    But as you check your work in multiple browsers, you are at least checking to ensure they display properly, which is the main issue I suppose.

But as you check your work in multiple browsers, you are at least checking to ensure they display properly, which is the main issue I suppose.
    Exactly

When the likes of Google (62 Errors), BBC News (126 Errors) and CNN (42 Errors) start to worry about validation, then perhaps I will

That is a lot of errors from people who should know better. I find it surprising how many sites still use the font tag - it's been depreciated for years now.

But anyway - getting your code validated is a darned good way of finding those little errors you overlooked - you know, the remnants of hastily edited code, for example.

I do it mainly for that reason, although it's good to know the page is compliant as well.

How are we getting on then Damian?