Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4ohms + 8ohms =??

Default 4ohms + 8ohms =??

Hi Folks,

I have a pair of peavey ul115 500w rms 1000w peak 4ohms
    tops and I have now just got a pair of peavey bass bins loads with logic 600w rms drivers. but there 8ohms.

I have been given a digital crossover and logic corssover to go in the cabs (been removed as he used the digital one with two amps)

If i was to use one amp would i be better of bi-wireing them so i get my tops full range and bins just bass?

I would perfer to use one amp with the internal crossovers but i dont know what ohms i would be using can anyone help??
    Last edited by Cj_The_Dj; 10-12-2008 at 11:27 AM.
    CJ-Entertainment
    Your Professional DJ Service
    Tel: 0771 546 1992

Second attempt. I misread the first post, and CJ has edited it also.
    With 8ohm subs, if you use crossovers built into the subs, I think the tops will sound relatively louder than the subs. ( Though not absolutely sure. )
    Definitely two amps and crossover. The amp for the subs should be capable of around 750w RMS into 8ohms. For value, I'd guess we're on the Thomann big one, model 2400?

Yes indeedy, that's the boy.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/t-amp_ta2400.htm
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cj_The_Dj View Post
    Mods can you change the title to 4ohms + 8ohms = ??
    Done.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

without knowing exactly how the crossover works, we are merely guessing

if this was a normal speaker to speaker daisy chain, you will be running at 2.6ish ohms, which is a no no!

with a digital crossover, you could run mono. Set the tops to full range or mid/high and put on one side of the amp. Then the bass is crossover and put onto the other side of the amp. Youll need an amp thats capable of 2 ohms though, perhaps try the PV2600 Amp which has built in crossover and is capable of running at 2ohms
    Peter French - Fulltime DJ And Equipment Rental
    http://www.petefrench.com
    http://www.kidsdisco.net

I have been given a digaital crossover witch has 2 inputs left/right (from mixer and has 4 out puts 2 (left and right) for bass and 2 (left and right) for mids/hi witch means to amps.

but i dont really want to use two amps.
    I want to link my tops from the bins so i have less leads ect and use the internall crossover but i dont know what ohms i'll be using and if my tops woulde be too loud.
    CJ-Entertainment

the tops would be a fair bit louder, theres no way around this whilst using those bass cabs and not using my mono idea. The only way to get around this is to get 4ohm bass speakers, probably a matching set of UL118 speakers
    Peter French - Fulltime DJ And Equipment Rental
    http://www.petefrench.com
    http://www.kidsdisco.net

Just a thought to get him by until he can get another suitable amp , how would it sound to go into the tops first then into subs obviously if the amp he has is up to it ?

I have been given a digaital crossover witch has 2 inputs left/right (from mixer and has 4 out puts 2 (left and right) for bass and 2 (left and right) for mids/hi witch means to amps.

but i dont really want to use two amps.
    I want to link my tops from the bins so i have less leads ect and use the internall crossover but i dont know what ohms i'll be using and if my tops woulde be too loud.
    If you use normal passive bass crossovers, you'll be running at 8ohms, so you'll get nominally less power, and I still think the tops will sound too loud compared to the subs. I'd recommend two amps, you'll wonder why you ever tried with one.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondgeezer View Post
    Just a thought to get him by until he can get another suitable amp , how would it sound to go into the tops first then into subs obviously if the amp he has is up to it ?
    Very toppy I guess, thus negating most of the benefit of having subs.

What if i got a pair of 8ohms 300w rms top say class D and only added my peavey as they are at extra at big big venues?

because i would be getting 4ohms right?
    CJ-Entertainment

What if i got a pair of 8ohms 300w rms top say class D and only added my peavey as they are at extra at big big venues?

because i would be getting 4ohms right?
    With all due respect, that's not a good way to do it compared to getting a second amp, and you'll only get 4ohms if you run them in parallel, as opposed to using the crossovers, so then you'll effectively have no crossovers, and the worst of all worlds. Buy the second amp, it's a lot easier, and way better.