Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CRB Checking

nigelwright7557

Wow, the CRB check seems to have gone up a bit in the last few years.
    They were about £24 about 3 years ago.
    I need one for my job and had to pay for the first one.
    The company now pays for my updates.

nigelwright7557

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post

2. The CRB covers work with vulnerable adults, not just kids.
    I need a POVA to work with adults as well.
    Protection Of Vulnerable Adults.

If i remember correctly that means I need an enhanced check.

Quote Originally Posted by sleah View Post
    You don't pass or fail as such, it's a check which returns information. You may find that as you say your conviction has no bearing on working with children it may not be an issue, but then again it might!
    Nothing major, only ABH

Quote Originally Posted by One Vision View Post
    Nothing major, only ABH
    Ahhhhhh........

Remind me not to upset you...

Simon (Grumpy old man) - and proud of it

The CRB is not needed if you are not working with children or VAs on a one on one basis, so you should be able to work schools and clubs etc as a DJ without one.

I had one done myself (by an agency) because I’m a Children’s entertainer and I’m often down at their level, holding hands, positioning them for magic and generally being “hands on”, whilst it’s not required for most of my bookings, I do like to supply a pack with my insurance docs, licenses, CRB, first aid cert, risk assessment and all that jazz. The feedback that I get is that it is very professional and it at least shows that I am the type of person who likes to keep everything above board.

Schools will often do a list 99 rather than a full CRB; I know that my son’s school did one on me when I started helping them out on trips etc. I do regular bookings at the deaf school (they love the lights and vibrations) and despite having children and adults with many physical and mental disabilities they were happy just seeing a copy of my recent CRB.

I would have one done every year or two just so you can say that you have one that can be produced on request as this will satisfy most of your clients and put their mind at ease – Most people will not ask to see a copy (I’ve only actually had one or two people ask to see it) so even if you have a minor offence on your record it is worth while getting one, then if anyone queries you can explain and leave it to them to decide if they think the offence is serious.

What if you are a kid anyway? Such as me? Is this still required?

Edit: Just read the previous post. ignore me
    Last edited by OllieJames; 02-01-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Edit: Just read the previous post.
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

I thought you didn't have to be CRB checked unless you were in CHARGE of children.

I'm not CRB checked, but there are kids at virtually all my discos.

nigelwright7557

I am CRB checked for my main job anyway.

Usually the CRB is for when vulnerable kids and adults are concerned and your looking after them.
    At a disco they should be with their parents or a responsible adult.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I thought you didn't have to be CRB checked unless you were in CHARGE of children.

I'm not CRB checked, but there are kids at virtually all my discos.

I think the key term here Rob is 'unsupervised'.

I often provide discos to a local play centre, and whilst there are centre staff around plus a few parents, it only takes an incident elsewhere such as some kid banging their head to divert their attention and for a while I can be stood in a room alone with 50 or 60 youngsters.

I agree it's MUCH less likely at weddings etc., so if I were in your position I don't think it would be worthwhile having unless of course you suddenly found that punters were asking for one. It's not going to win you any new business I wouldn't have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    I think the key term here Rob is 'unsupervised'.

I often provide discos to a local play centre, and whilst there are centre staff around plus a few parents, it only takes an incident elsewhere such as some kid banging their head to divert their attention and for a while I can be stood in a room alone with 50 or 60 youngsters.

I agree it's MUCH less likely at weddings etc., so if I were in your position I don't think it would be worthwhile having unless of course you suddenly found that punters were asking for one. It's not going to win you any new business I wouldn't have thought.
    Thanks for the clarification, Vectis.