Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CRB Checking

its not really a legal thing

its a usefol marketing and sales tool, by telling potential clients you are CRB checked, it shows you care about your job and they have peace of mind, add that to the PLI etc and you can have the edge over the opposition
    Peter French - Fulltime DJ And Equipment Rental
    http://www.petefrench.com
    http://www.kidsdisco.net

Default CRB Checking.

Ive done a couple of freebie Discos for the local school which got me a free enhanced check. The paperwork was sent direct to me, so if anyone asks if I have been checked and which they often do, I say 'yes by ....... school.' That seems to be good enough for them. Although nobody has ever asked what the results were!

This is very helpful! I still don't see why folk can't have the checks done themselves though? It is a crazy situation!! I shall be asking a local school to CRB check me I think. That seems to be the best bet. I'd never thought of asking an employment agancy...but this is a good idea too.
    www.reefsreptiles.co.uk WE ARE NOT A DISCO - just reptile party entertainment

From what I know, You can be individually checked. You will probs have to state WHY you want to be checked... It shouldn't have to be completed through an Organisation (My last one wasn't!)

Call You LEA... They'll be able to help you further

I had it explained to me like this......

A CRB check is basically just a check on any criminal convictions, an individual cannot apply for this, it must be done by an organisation (typically a school). A standard CRB check shows any convictions that you have had (which are otherwise not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974), an enhanced CRB check will also list details of any investigations against you that did not come to trial or result in a conviction and also all offences including those that are 'spent' (Ian Huntley is perhaps the best known example of why schools go for an enhanced check as opposed to the standard check).

However an individual can apply to their local police for what's called a Subject Access Request (SAR), various forces have different names for them but they are all SAR's, this costs about £12 and for that you get a list of any crimes you have been convicted of, so it is in essence detailing the same information as a standard CRB check, except you can apply for it yourself (in fact you are the only person who can apply for it), and you can use it to show to anyone that you do not have any convictions (so it is transferable between organisations).

As others have pointed out though, the value of a CRB check is only as good as the date it was done and in most cases a DJ isn't left alone with a child or a vulnerable adult so it isn't really required, but I think it's a good selling point to state that you are 'Police Checked' as well as PAT compliant and PLI.

JTRS

Quote Originally Posted by TrustTheEntertainment View Post
    From what I know, You can be individually checked. You will probs have to state WHY you want to be checked... It shouldn't have to be completed through an Organisation (My last one wasn't!)

Call You LEA... They'll be able to help you further
    Wrong as JTRS has said you cannot obtain a CRB off yout own back you must go through an organisation!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard lady View Post
    This is very helpful! I still don't see why folk can't have the checks done themselves though? It is a crazy situation!! I shall be asking a local school to CRB check me I think. That seems to be the best bet. I'd never thought of asking an employment agancy...but this is a good idea too.
    Before someone says it it might be worth you introducing yourself!
    JDB Events - Making your event Buzz!
    www.jdb-events.co.uk
    www.hirepartydancefloors.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JDB Entertainment View Post
    Wrong as JTRS has said you cannot obtain a CRB off yout own back you must go through an organisation!
    Umberella companies complete them for you as an individual aka you don't have to be employed or used by a company/council/school etc etc... we use one that is fantastic! However much security and trust people put into a CRB check, it can only guarentee the individual on the date of completion (or so the t&c's say) and cannot be reproduced after a set date

I suppose anyone could fall back on their CRB check that is 11months old after having been in serious trouble since it was completed!

Personally, having needed a CRB check and checking them on a day to day basis - its £50 well spent as far as marketing is concerned... and that so many parents ask for them!

Quote Originally Posted by TrustTheEntertainment View Post
    Personally, having needed a CRB check and checking them on a day to day basis - its £50 well spent as far as marketing is concerned... and that so many parents ask for them!
    ...and councils, local authorities, public bodies, universities(?!), etc etc...

My last venture was bouncy castles and one of the industry associations set themselves up a deal with an umbrella company so they could provide enhanced CRB checks for their members at well below the normal prices (£30 a time I think from memory?) I take it no-one in the Mobile DJ arena has thought about doing that yet?

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I take it no-one in the Mobile DJ arena has thought about doing that yet?
    We have and were in the process of negotiating with someone, but that wasn't being dealt with by me, so I'm not sure what happened about it.

Sorry to bring this up again.
    I have a potential disco for a 9 year old girls birthday , they have asked for PAT , PIL and CRB , the first two are easy.
    I currently hold an Enhanced Disclosure ( from West Sussex county council) would this be of any use ??

Daryll
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex