Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Uplighting - Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    Rob, if you decide to go the uplighting route then I am sure you'll see that it is an extra service and totally different to a little extra lighting on the disco rig. It is seperate and should be charged accordingly in my opinion.
    I understand that, Gary, but it's not something I'll be looking into, as I prefer to put all my time, effort & energy into the actual disco.

To each their own, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    I understand that, Gary, but it's not something I'll be looking into, as I prefer to put all my time, effort & energy into the actual disco.

To each their own, as they say.

you generally do the uplighting before the actual gig and leave it to its own devices.

the other way of looking at it rob is adding an extra string to your bow- people obviously want this service and you can save them going elsewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    people obviously want this service and you can save them going elsewhere....
    If I get any enquiries, I'll just send them to this guy I know who lives near the river in Kingston

Quote Originally Posted by Bouncy Dancefloor View Post
    so it seems everyones charging more than i realised for this service, thanks alot guys, just got to find the clients now!
    If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8. Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs). Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run, a med - large room can easily need 20 + lamps, You will also need a small dmx desk or dedicated controller to use the lamps to their full potential. Be sure to buy lamps that support full RGB colour mixing and dimming, some don't. Finally £20 - £25 per lamp seems to be the current going rate for the job, I've found it better to quote for venue lighting completely separate from the provision of a disco.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I might also add that I am restricting offering the service to the size of the venue. The LEDJ's I have are very bright and have a wide spread of light but I only have 8 of them at the moment and to be honest that may be all I have until I see if the service gets popular. I think they will do the job well personally.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    If I get any enquiries, I'll just send them to this guy I know who lives near the river in Kingston
    probably best for all concerned.
    in the same way i refer all quiz night enquiries to a nice chap in worcester park.

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8.

Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs).
    Hmmm... I use the LEDJ PAR56's and they're perfectly bright enough for most venues even with some direct sunlight.

However I've seen some of the (not much) cheaper cans such as the Thomann ones and they are rubbish next to the LEDJ's.

Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run
    Depends on the effect you're looking for and the beam angle of your cans, but 3-5 metres is a good rule of thumb.

If you decide to go into the venue lighting business you will need to equip yourself with more than 4 x par 56 LED's and a CA8. Speaking from experience, par 56 LEDs are nowhere near powerful enough to do the job properly (unless they are using 1w LEDs). Also, as a rule of thumb, you'll need 1 lamp for every 3 metres of wall run, a med - large room can easily need 20 + lamps, You will also need a small dmx desk or dedicated controller to use the lamps to their full potential. Be sure to buy lamps that support full RGB colour mixing and dimming, some don't. Finally £20 - £25 per lamp seems to be the current going rate for the job, I've found it better to quote for venue lighting completely separate from the provision of a disco.
    Just a point here on Insurance guys.

If you supply these uplighters as part of your overall Disco with Lighting effects package then quite likely you will be insured should there be an accident as they form part of the "show"

If you supply and fit them separately or hire them out on their own to customers (and this will apply also to hiring lighting to bands as well) you may need completely separate PLI insurance cover or at least an extension of your existing cover.

You need to check this with your PLI insurer.

If you send along A.N.OTHER to do it on your behalf check that as well.

It probably seems an easy way to generate some more cashflow but wont be much use if you have a £100,000 claim against you and no insurance.

Im looking at starting an ancillary business to my own and have a similar issue.

CRAZY K

I think you've misunderstood what I meant, I don't charge or invoice as a different business, just keep the LED lighting quote separate from the disco quote. In my experience clients seem happy to try to negotiate a disco quote downwards, but accept a £20 - £25 a lamp quote without haggling since almost everyone else is charging the same price, unlike discos where the fee seems to start at £60 with some jokers
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

oh if you guys go for the Public liability insurance provided by DJ Associates, then you will be covered for 10million for equipment you have setup for hire!
    Peter French - Fulltime DJ And Equipment Rental
    http://www.petefrench.com
    http://www.kidsdisco.net