Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Limited company or sole trader?

Worcestershire, West Midlands/Cotswolds Border

"Do I take my business seriously?" - Yes, of course I do!!
    I was under the impression that I WAS listed as a company at Companies House but having just looked, it seems I am not so I do not know what has happened there.
    You'd only be listed on companies house if you're a Limited company...
    DJs, PA, Lighting & AV Hire, LED Uplighting & Wedding Lighting, Dance Floor Hire, Starcloth & Room Decor - Covering the Midlands & Cotswolds.
    Revolution Event Services Ltd - Wedding Lighting
    01386 898 113

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    "I was under the impression that I WAS listed as a company at Companies House but having just looked, it seems I am not so I do not know what has happened there.
    Quite simply, absolutely nothing has happened. Once a company is registered, it doesn't "disappear". You may have registered your trading name with some registry or other and be confusing the two distinctly different actions.

Please do not treat me like a child. That's very patronising!
    I didn't and it wasn't - lighten up, matey

there has obviously been some kind of muck up along the way which I will be sorting out as soon as I can.
    Let us know the outcome Gary, it will be interesting.

As for "innacurate & misleading".... that is NOT intentional in the slightest.
    Intentional or otherwise, irrespective. There are many sole traders whom incorrectly refer to their businesses as "companies", possibly because they believe this portrays a more professional image and that it will gain them more business. I came across one a couple of weeks ago on another forum pretending to be a PLC.

Mods - apologies if this discussion re Companies/Sole Traders has hijacked the original thread - perhaps it can be broken off into a separate thread?

Well, that clears that up then, thanks Danno.
    I am not a limited company as yet and may not be.
    SO...I will STILL call myself a company because in my eyes that's what I am. I am NOT a limited company. If I go above the earnings amount then obviously I will register as a limited company.

I'm sure someone will have a moan about that!

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    If a business is not registered at Companies House, and you refer to it as a "company", this is inaccurate and misleading.
    Though what you say is true Tony, most people would call it their company, just because that's the way they see it, rather than looking at the legal implications.

I used to call myself the proprietor of the company before I incorporated.

I am not a limited company as yet and may not be.
    SO...I will STILL call myself a company because in my eyes that's what I am. I am NOT a limited company.
    If it makes you happy to pretend Gary, no one is stopping you, just advising.

If I go above the earnings amount then obviously I will register as a limited company.
    What is "the earnings amount" Gary? This is a new one on me! Please explain.

If I go above the earnings amount then obviously I will register as a limited company.
    There is no 'earning amount' to go above Gary, only a VAT threshold and you don't have to incorporate for that.

A1 - I'll tell you what has happened (or I think what has happened). About 2 years ago I remember an enquiry coming in which I thought was a bit of a wind up, one of those calls that you KNOW is another competitor (if you want to call it that) trying to find out information etc (comparing prices etc).. One of those occasions when you KNOW that they KNOW you KNOW too but you treat every call as professionally as you can without saying "Come on, stop mucking about" just incase there is that slight chance that you may have got it wrong.

Anyway, the caller asked loads of questions etc which was fine, I answered them all as best I could and was as helpful as I could be too but then the call seemed to go downhill rapidly and the tone of the caller got aggressive(ish). They asked me about PLI & PAT, no problem. They also TOLD me that if I were to DJ at their wedding (this was the function) then I would need a CRB certificate / clearance because there were going to be children present there too. I asked if they would be supervised and the caller said that it didn't matter whether they were supervised or not, I would still need to have it. I knew the caller was being awkward on purpose (the tone and manner in which they were speaking to me wasn't nice at all), so I made my point clearly and also mentioned that I was not available on the date required as I was already booked. Then came the worst bit of the call.... She said to me that I wasn't a legit trader because I was not listed at Companies House. I actually said that I was terminating the call and put the phone down and then spoke to my wife who confirmed at the time what A1 has just said. It all comes back to me now.

I am pretty sure I asked on this forum and another one about the CRB situation and I am pretty sure also that I contacted Companies House by email to find out the situation there too although I am not 100% sure.

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to get my point across clearly.

OK a little clarification here, there is no problem in calling yourself a company. A company is defined as any entity engaging in business, such as a proprietorship, partnership, or corporation.

A limited company however is a totally different kettle of fish. This would entail registering a memorandum and articles of association at Companies house, paying the requisite fee, and them checking to ensure that the name you wish to use, is actually available to you. The company name would then be for instance "Shakermaker Ltd" This would have the effect of limiting your liability by law, and creating a seperate legal entity.

The need to establish a Limited Company is not strictly speaking governed by income level, and for most small businesses is not necessary, any change from sole trader, partnership etc to Limited Company should be thoroughly discussed with a qualified accountant before being entered into.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 02-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    OK a little clarification here, there is no problem in calling yourself a company. A company is defined as any entity engaging in business, such as a proprietorship, partnership, or corporation.

A limited company however is a totally different kettle of fish. This would entail registering a memorandum and articles of association at Companies house, paying the requisite fee, and them checking to ensure that the name you wish to use, is actually available to you. The company name would then be for instance "Shakermaker PLC" This would have the effect of limiting your liability by law, and creating a seperate legal entity.

The need to establish a PLC is not strictly speaking governed by income level, and for most small businesses is not necessary, any change from sole trader, partnership etc to PLC should be thoroughly discussed with a qualified accountant before being entered into.
    Shouldn't PLC be LTD Pete?

PLC is a company that has floated on the stock market is it not?

A1 - There you go again... "PRETEND"... Do you not see what a wind up that is? I am trying hard to keep my mouth shut here as there are a few things that I could say about the quality of customer service of some COMPANIES, limited or not, who I have had the 'pleasure' of speaking to over the past year when doing some 'Market Research' and some (very close to home) who I have seen operate in the flesh.

I'll keep quiet for now though as I really don't want to get into a slanging match at the moment.

As for the 'earnings' comment, I was under the impression that once you got to a certain figure, you either had to or should really declare yourself as a limited company?