Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Limited company or sole trader?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Shouldn't PLC be LTD Pete?

PLC is a company that has floated on the stock market is it not?
    Sorry Daz, your right, should have let the Jack Daniels wear off first! Now amended!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
    As for the 'earnings' comment, I was under the impression that once you got to a certain figure, you either had to or should really declare yourself as a limited company?
    Nope.

Thanks, at least that's cleared that up.

there are a few things that I could say about the quality of customer service of some COMPANIES, limited or not, who I have had the 'pleasure' of speaking to over the past year when doing some 'Market Research' and some (very close to home) who I have seen operate in the flesh.
    I'm sure there are Gary, as indeed within many industries, however I don't believe there is any correlation between the legal status of a business and its customer service offering.

Some people may expect a more personal service from a small business than a larger entity, other people may expect a more professional service with better guarantees from a larger entity than a sole trader. However, that does not mean a sole trader cannot offer just as professional service as a company, nor does it mean a multi-op company cannot offer the same or indeed a better level of personal service than an individual, as the company may have more skilled resources in different areas of their business.

I'll keep quiet for now though as I really don't want to get into a slanging match at the moment.
    I thought the purpose of this forum was to promote healthy, professional discussion. Opinions will differ - that's healthy - however let's keep it professional. I have never believed in putting individuals or other businesses down and that is the work ethic I promote within my businesses.

As for the 'earnings' comment, I was under the impression that once you got to a certain figure, you either had to or should really declare yourself as a limited company?
    As has already been stated, there is no legal requirement to do this. However, as I'm sure the other multi-ops on here will agree, there comes a time when it is prudent to incorporate - a good accountant will advise on this better than I ever could.

I thought one of the better reasons to register was that you gat a better tax break than a sole-trader?
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoSteve View Post
    I thought one of the better reasons to register was that you gat a better tax break than a sole-trader?

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Eh, thats basically how my accountants selling it.
    http://www.dynamic-entertainment.co.uk

Tel:0800 990 3030

The opinions here are those of an individual and not necessarily those of Dynamic Entertainment.

Who would get mislead by someone calling their 'business' or whatever you want to call it a company? A member of the public is more than likely unaware about Companies House, and will not know the difference between a company and a sole trader anyway. You either know the differences or you don't.

Personally, i find it more natural calling my service a company, quite obviously from this thread am i being 'incorrect'.

Nevermind
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by OllieJames View Post
    Personally, i find it more natural calling my service a company, quite obviously from this thread am i being 'incorrect'.

Nevermind
    Ollie, as you are a 15 year old schoolboy, surely a "hobby" would be the best description for your activities?

That's certainly how it was many moons ago, when I was your age.

Quote Originally Posted by A1DL View Post
    Ollie, as you are a 15 year old schoolboy, surely a "hobby" would be the best description for your activities?

That's certainly how it was many moons ago, when I was your age.
    Yes, but if you were 15, would you put hobby on your website?
    Ollie J. Needham
    O.J. Entertainment
    Northamptonshire, UK