Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by funkymike View Post
    I had a similer problem and all it was, was the bios battery, 3 quid from tescos soon sorted it out. If its not plugged into the mains (assuming its your gigging pc) the battery drains very quickly, around a year.

hope that helps

Mike
    It doesn't seem to be the battery - the bios is keeping the time perfectly, it's also a desktop PC and powered via the mains permanently

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Scott View Post
    Have you tried going into BIOS and doing a simple(quick) hard drive diagnostic check to see if it can find the HDD?
    Can't seem to find that option? I've tried using 'chkdsk' via the windows recovery disk, and everything shows up as fine. The HDD in question also shows up fine in the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by One Vision View Post
    Hya Shaun, it does sound like your hard drive is playing up mate.
    I assume your just getting either the blue screen or the system just keeps restarting.
    A simple diagnostic test to verify this would be to unplug your c: drive and put another one in that has windows installed.

It could also be the ram or processor or both, are you getting a single beep from the PC speaker when you try to boot the system?
    I don't think it's the CPU or RAM. This problem has been here for a few weeks, but I just kept my PC switched on and there was no issue. It's only after a reboot that the problem has gotten worse. It's definitely a boot issue....I just don't have the skill-set to figure out how to resolve it.

My head hurts.

Are the pc compenents in the case all close together or spaced apart??? If the hard drive is getting hot the pc will not start up at all.

Do you have plenty of cooling inside the case???

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Are the pc compenents in the case all close together or spaced apart??? If the hard drive is getting hot the pc will not start up at all.

Do you have plenty of cooling inside the case???
    New one on me? The new hard drives can take temps of up to about 80oC. So dont think it would be that. The error that its giving can be be caused due tot he problems i stated in my first post!

It depends if its an intermittent problem or not plus it would just keep looping if the ram, but yes I agree it does sound like a hard drive issue

Quote Originally Posted by CB Entertainments View Post
    New one on me? The new hard drives can take temps of up to about 80oC. So dont think it would be that. The error that its giving can be be caused due tot he problems i stated in my first post!
    Depends on how old the pc components are

I run Sata raid and always try to make sure plenty of air is passed all parts of the pc case.

Bit like amps for speakers. They need cool air to pass the internals so it can effectly. Even if the amp has cooling fans, if its sucking on warm or hot air its not going to cool it down.

Does it make a clicking noise?

Sounds like hard drive to me....had the same problem a short time back.

Hope you get it sorted friend.

Have you rung Marc?

Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Possibly the best way to test would be to simply try another hard drive with windows installed, basically just to see if the system boots ok with another HD.
    Possibly even try a different IDE/SATA lead whatever you use.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Does it make a clicking noise?

Sounds like hard drive to me....had the same problem a short time back.

Hope you get it sorted friend.

Have you rung Marc?

Clicking noises are really bad news.
    Have you got the boot from cd option? ( Said a numpty)
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

You average computer will work fine at 75oC but would rather run lower. When it come to cooling i would be more inclined to keep the processor and graphics card cool over the hard drive seeing as to get silly temps you would need one of those new 10K raptors.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post

Have you rung Marc?

I didn't like to, especially on a Sunday. I've sent him a text though