Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cortex and external hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by One Vision View Post
    I know the difference in fat and NTFS I just wasn't aware if the cortex was compatible or not as I don't have one.
    I cant see why the cortex would only run from a powered HD though, how many 2.5" HDs do you know that actually have a separate power supply that you plug in to the power?
    A powered hub is providing the extra power so nothing is being powered from the main system.
    Powered hard drives and hubs are more a recommendation as far as I'm aware and not necessarily a case of it wont pick the HD up without one.
    Some laptop hard drives have a double usb cable, simply as one is for power and the other for data, but don't actually have a separate power supply.
    So you've not read rule one in the Cortex manual? POWER EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    If you want a cheap reliable HD that works with the cortex look at this :
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225665
    Have used one for past 4 months without any probs (other than plug not the best, has an adaptor fitted to it). Cheap as chips, powered and does the job.
    But big
    Build a bigger box? Certainly cheap, specs are fine.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    So you've not read rule one in the Cortex manual? POWER EVERYTHING.

Build a bigger box? Certainly cheap, specs are fine.
    No don't have the machine so don't need the manual maybe I was just assuming too much when I assumed the cortex was on par with the D2

No don't have the machine so don't need the manual maybe I was just assuming too much when I assumed the cortex was on par with the D2
    I'm assuming the D2 is similar, I see no reason why not.
    However: You may remember old Cassandra here prognosticating doom and gloom if you tried to run an unpowered HD on a Cortex, powered hub or not. Yes, well, guess who tried it, just to satisfy his curiousity? And guess whose Cortex read his passport, and proceeded to play it? The important thing to point out is that some powered hubs suit the Cortex better than others. Perhaps my hub is better suited. Who knows? Anyway, DJ Indie's findings fit what I said. It's only me who disproves his own theory. Ah well.

cheers Excalibur for the help yesterday - the long and short of it if i'm going to try then buy a different powered Hard drive - but i suppose its not all bad, theres some good deals on at the moment.

cheers to all for helping

I use a Freecom tough drive. Its USB powered BUT if you register it on the Freecom website then contact them they will send you out a power supply. for free!

Not totally unconnected footnote:
    Recently I got a car stereo with a USB input. In the FAQ's on the website, someone moaned that it wouldn't read some monstrous drive he'd connected. The company gave the limits it would work to. In a spirit of adventure, guess who plugged his passport drive into it, on the way home? At first I thought it couldn't read it, but it did! On my way into deepest Lincolnshire today, to do missionary work, I was happily listening to Bad Company at a volume which was in excess of HSE guidelines. The order of play is Alphabetical Artist order. Black Lace, with Agadoo is the next up!

jobs a good un!

just bought the mentioned Trekstor powered hard drive.

works a treat.

memo to all: if youre after an external hard drive for your cortex - make sure it has a plug on it!

cheers all.